Talk

Advanced search

Tinned berries

(14 Posts)
NaomiNagata Sat 04-Aug-18 10:20:56

This seems like the most stupid question! But I've never bought tinned raspberries or strawberries but they are my kids favourite for breakfast fruit.
Are tinned raspberries and strawberries nice to eat from the tin? Or are they really just good for baking with?

abitoflight Sat 04-Aug-18 10:23:03

Very sweet, sloppy texture
Little resemblance to the real thing
I loved them as a child tho
Maybe cherries in jars - I've seen the Lidl ones recommended on here a couple of times for on top of pancakes

bellinisurge Sat 04-Aug-18 11:20:16

I'd prefer jam, to be honest. Or dried. However worth giving it a try to see if it is liked at your house. Firmer fruit like peaches or pears are nice tinned.

NaomiNagata Sat 04-Aug-18 11:41:38

We've got lots of peaches, pears and orange segments so they can make do with those!

Thank you!

IAmInsignificunt Sat 04-Aug-18 13:45:27

I haven’t found any that are decent unless they are ready made into pie filling.

Peaches, pears, pineapple, grapefruit and citrus fruits seem ok.

GoneWishing Sat 04-Aug-18 14:22:24

I use dried berry "powder" (it's quite gritty instead of powdery, really) to mix in porridge, yoghurt, smoothies etc when fresh ones aren't in season, and it's pretty nice. Plenty of nutrients, adds colour and taste, and often quite a long best before date (I cleared my cupboards a little while ago, and found a bag of dried black currant powder that had been there for ages, but best before 2022!).

Hizz Sat 04-Aug-18 14:34:16

Tinned prunes are pretty good and double up as a laxative.
Tinned soft fruit tend to be very mushy and you get a very low proportion of fruit to liquid in a tin.

northernlites Sat 04-Aug-18 14:51:09

Not cheap but have you thought about dehydrated strains and rasps. Not cheap but great adding a sprinkle to cereal and porridge etc

bellinisurge Sat 04-Aug-18 16:07:13

I have a dehydrator and am trying everything - to intend to include berries. Not too expensive as an initial outlay and then get fruit, veg (even tried mince!) when it's in season.

Snugglepumpkin Tue 07-Aug-18 20:55:52

tinned berries are gross.
If you can your own they are better although still nowhere near as good as fresh & if you buy a tin of strawberries in the supermarket you will be lucky if there are 10 strawberries in it.
Frozen is the best option if you can't get fresh.
Sliced & dehydrated are nice, but not at all the same thing.

ElyElyOy Fri 10-Aug-18 21:05:42

Ooh I love tinned strawberries on meringue with squirty cream smile

ElyElyOy Fri 10-Aug-18 21:05:57

Or on pancakes with Nutella!

TooManyPaws Sat 11-Aug-18 00:26:47

At the beginning of this week, my local Aldi had a whole load of half price strawberries as end of date. I now have a Jar full of four punnets' worth of dried strawberries ready for winter, courtesy of my brand new dehydrator. 😀

bellinisurge Sat 11-Aug-18 08:03:31

Ace, aren't they, @TooManyPaws

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: