Talk

Advanced search

What food?

(6 Posts)
Scroobius Mon 05-Feb-18 22:21:48

I am trying to get my head around being prepped for most likely situations as I can be quite anxious and it’s taken a big weight off my mind having things like a car kit for travelling, full medicine/first aid kit etc. I can’t get my head around planning food storage though. So many people say only store food you eat and rotate it but we really don’t eat much in the way of dried/tinned food. We shop every week at least for fresh fruit, veg and dairy which makes up the majority of our meals so anything that would last long enough to be “stored food” wouldn’t be eaten unless we needed to eat “stored food”. The only things I can think to get are pasta, tinned tomatoes and tuna which wouldn’t give us much to go on if it were needed! Any advice please?

TheButterflyOfTheStorms Wed 07-Feb-18 20:11:03

If you want it only for prepping, not for eating, you can get long-term food. Like MREs (meals ready to eat - US army food).

A really fun way to look at different ones is on YouTube emmymadeinjapan. She reviews different ones.

Grufeling Fri 09-Feb-18 17:08:57

Not sure pasta would be great as it would require water to cook ... unless you're prepping for water shortage as well.

Tinned veg / meat soups, tinned beans; sweetcorn?

TheButterflyOfTheStorms Fri 09-Feb-18 19:39:06

Pasta needs water and fuel to heat it. Not great.

Scroobius Sat 10-Feb-18 21:02:48

To be honest I wasn’t prepping for major events, more that we had a money issue/couldn’t get to the shop/power cut etc. I think anything beyond that is way too much for me to get my head around. The cooking issue with pasta is a big one though. We do have a water butt which I would hope might alleviate any lack of water problems a bit.

user187656748 Sat 10-Feb-18 21:07:40

If you are really serious then there are some good threads from when the board first opened with lists on but there are lots of normal foods that work for prepping.

I buy food we will eat anyway since there isn't much point in buying things that will go to waste. There must be some things you'd eat

cous cous (particularly the flavoured ones)
tinned sweetcorn and ratatouille
beans
noodles
rice
tinned fruit
chocolate
biscuits
dried fruit
long life juice and milk

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now