Talk

Advanced search

Ok, it isn't a SHTF situation but how are you prepped for snow?

(12 Posts)
shhhfastasleep Fri 08-Dec-17 18:40:55

In what I hope is the unlikely event of power out, I have the means to have light and heat (not brilliant but better than nothing if electricity and gas go) I have family to go to which might be a trek but we have stout walking gear and a cheapo sled for dd and or overnight stuff.
At a pinch, we can boil water and heat food on a camping stove - mindful of ventilation.
Above anything, dd wants to have fun in the snow!
What about you?

shhhfastasleep Fri 08-Dec-17 18:41:57

I used to live in Russia so it is rarely that bad here by comparison- but UK less geared up for it.

Phosphorus Fri 08-Dec-17 18:44:33

I don't prepare for it, because we simply don't get enough snow (or any weather) to cause an issue in this part of SE England.

If I lived in northernmost Scotland or somewhere I'd have a whale of a time prepping.

cozietoesie Wed 13-Dec-17 16:50:56

There doesn't need to be a SHTF situation, though. 'Prepping' is just about being halfway ready for something. Having thought about the implications.

You sound as if you have. smile

AprilShowers16 Wed 13-Dec-17 17:17:38

Our power was out for 5 hours on Sunday, we live in a rural village so couldn’t really safely drive anywhere and barely had food in the house. (And electric hobs😩). With a toddler and being pregnant it definitely made me think that we need some small prep box or something. Thankfully power came back just as it was getting dark.

I’m thinking camping stove, some tinned food, snacks, candles and large torch? Any suggestions?

cozietoesie Wed 13-Dec-17 17:44:12

Did you still have water supplies, April?

AprilShowers16 Wed 13-Dec-17 18:12:48

Yes we did 👍

shhhfastasleep Wed 13-Dec-17 18:26:50

I think camping gear is a good way to look at it. Hot water bottles for heat (boiled water) , torches, pref wind up, for light. If you use an old 4 litre milk bottle and wrap a head torch on it with light facing inwards you get quite a lot of glow - like a lantern.
If you are going to light a camping stove indoors, please think about ventilation and fire safety- or do it outside under a brolly / use a bbq?
Think of emergency food that suits you.
There's a really good app by the British Red Cross called Emergency with checklists for various scenarios.

shhhfastasleep Wed 13-Dec-17 18:34:16

Your freezer should last 12 hours but you might want to have a cooler bag

L0V3 Tue 19-Dec-17 10:39:43

I have no camping gear at all (live in a time flat) but we all have hiking boots, layers, big thick warm coats, blankets and hot water bottles etc.
Prepping for any kind of emergency is my goal for 2018. Need to get organized and store things correctly.

Scrowy Tue 19-Dec-17 10:59:15

we lose power quite a few times a year on average, three times since Autumn this year so far.

We are pretty high up and rural so regularly get a lot of snow (if you can see snow 'on the hills' we will have it)

Its pretty much part of life for us, I'm not too bothered about using a camping stove inside as its realistically no different to using a gas cooker and the kitchen is well ventilated. We have a wood fuelled Rayburn though which heats and cooks if we need to put it on (we don't use it unless we have to as its a pain).

There are candles and torches in most rooms. We also have paraffin lanterns but they only tend to get used if the power cut lasts into the evening.

We are mainly heated by wood burning stoves and a back boiler anyway. We have a couple of generators outside for any electricity that might be needed outside, and a blow torch which is surprisingly handy.

TBH its rare we are completely stuck, by the nature of where we live we have access to 4x4 vehicles as standard so we can usually get to the village 4 miles away, which is usually kept fairly well gritted.

We have a large chest freezer in an outhouse outside with bits and pieces in but mainly bread, sausages etc for us and colostrum for sheep/calving cows.

We have all the usual tins, dried pasta etc, but actually most of the time we end up eating baked beans/ soup/ pot noodles and cheese sandwiches. The lifesavers have usually been chocolate, UHT milk for coffees and ready mixed baby milk. If the lights start flickering the first thing I do is boil the kettle to fill a flask so that we have hot water for baby bottles.

We don't get any mobile phone signal here so if the power goes off we cant ring anyone or use the internet. We have to drive about a mile before we get a phone signal to check on the electricity company website the status of what is happening.

cozietoesie Tue 19-Dec-17 13:41:29

Wood fuelled Rayburns are The Business. smile (As long as you have decent dry wood and have attended to your chimney/outlet pipes on a fairly regular basis.) I envy you.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now