Talk

Advanced search

US road trip tips

(9 Posts)
shhhfastasleep Thu 28-Sep-17 06:02:19

Going on a road trip across US with US and UK family including my dd next summer. I watch plenty of US prepper videos on YouTube and have plenty of ideas. However I want to tap into MN prep resources and ask for your ideas. I am pretty familiar with US and my relatives there although not preppers are very practical people. So, car trip (reliable SUV); high summer; USA. Ideas?

cozietoesie Fri 29-Sep-17 10:31:23

Those personal memories that have been shared with me of US road trips are all good. (Americans seem to like the accent.) 'Lots of water and don't give any rides' are what I was told - in addition to normal car journey preparation.

shhhfastasleep Fri 29-Sep-17 17:47:49

Thanks.

ThroughThickAndThin01 Fri 29-Sep-17 17:50:39

Lucky you. No tips as haven't done it, but very envious.

Missed out on doing that when kids were little although considered it but time just went by. Now want to do long road trips for our retirement although quite a long way off yet.

shhhfastasleep Fri 29-Sep-17 21:49:22

Cheers. Without US family who have already done it, trip would be impossible. Sharing driving. Pack light. Decent motels. Plenty of water. AAA support. Dd will be 11. Saving like mad now. Virgin Atlantic flights cheap and ok.

BriechonCheese Thu 05-Oct-17 16:48:47

IHOP always have clean loos.

shhhfastasleep Thu 05-Oct-17 17:43:18

Cheers.

BluthsFrozenBananas Thu 05-Oct-17 17:58:38

We've done several US road trips, these are my top tips.

Pack individual outfits in zip lock bags to stop your suitcase turning into clothing soup.
Look at the websites of the hotels you're staying in and note down which have laundrettes and free breakfasts.

We use Starbucks for loo stops. They're everywhere, the loos are normally clean and you can obviously grab a drink.

Buy a cheap cooler and some freezer packs or ice from a supermarket and keep it topped up with drinks. Having a cold drink to hand when you get back to the car is worth the expense.

Get a windscreen shade, it really makes a difference to the temperature of the car. Also never ever leave your sat nav in the windscreen in 100 degree temps while you're out of the car (we learnt that one the hard way).

If you know where you're going you can pre load address into your sat nav before you leave home to save time looking for zip codes at the last minute.

shhhfastasleep Thu 05-Oct-17 18:05:49

Excellent stuff. Thanks very much.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now