Talk

Advanced search

I don't think our basement is going to cut it

(10 Posts)
TheNiffler Sat 15-Apr-17 10:29:48

2 biggish windows (double glazed though), internal single glazed window at the top of the stairs, ceiling is simply the floorboards to the rooms above, with a bit of plasterboard and player in between the beams, that and the boiler is down there.

Is it doable?

CaptainMarvelDanvers Sun 16-Apr-17 08:52:44

Are we not allowed to build fallout shelters in our back garden? I know this country likes planning permission for everything but it wouldn't bother me if my neighbour had a shelter.

TheNiffler Sun 16-Apr-17 14:26:46

I have no idea. I'm pondering whether double mattresses in front of the basement windows would work. The other window is internal, guessing that's ok.

I cannot believe I am seriously pondering the suitability of my bloody basement

SideOrderofSprouts Sun 16-Apr-17 16:21:16

We have no windowless rooms
But we won't ever be a target. It's the radiation fallout I'm more concerned about. Im looking into weather I can seal door frames with duct tape

floraeasy Sun 16-Apr-17 16:24:14

How will you get air? shock

ImperialBlether Sun 16-Apr-17 16:26:57

Is this a nuclear attack you're concerned about?

SideOrderofSprouts Sun 16-Apr-17 16:40:57

Hence me checking 😂😂 this was a thought I had when I read somewhere about sealing doors etc and I was there going 'but how would
We breath 😳'

We live over the water from a large nuclear power station.

SideOrderofSprouts Sun 16-Apr-17 16:42:56

I'm not daft I promise! 😂

MerryMarigold Sun 16-Apr-17 16:47:04

LOL. I thought this was a house doer-upper thread. I'd rather go quick than starve to death or be very ill without medical care.

cozietoesie Mon 17-Apr-17 22:58:07

Just enjoy having a basement and work out how you can best use it. smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now