Talk

Advanced search

Do you think we will see Brexit related riots?

(7 Posts)
DoYouRememberJustinBobby Sun 06-Nov-16 09:43:19

There seems to be an awful lot of resentment out there at the moment. Be it real resentment or brewed up via the papers and their frankly bonkers headlines over the past couple of days.
Talk on Twitter of taking to the streets, newspaper articles quoting people regarding "civil uproar"

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/riots-revolution-ukip-on-steroids-what-activists-say-will-happen-if-brexit-is-blocked-a7396326.html

Nigel Frarage on Andrew Marr just now saying there will be violence. I hope it's just the height of tension and people needing an outlet or the papers just wanting more hits to their website but I can feel tension in the air. Yesterday evening on the way back from a public fireworks display my DB heard people chanting about judges and the "taking Britain back from posh and rich". People seem to want to take action over the ruling this week, let alone, the unlikely outcome, of MPs going against Brexit.

What do you think? Will there be unrest? How will you prep for it?

NameChanger22 Sun 06-Nov-16 10:41:26

The remainers have every right to be upset, but I don't think they will ever riot.

The leavers however are getting themselves all riled for no reason, other than they don't understand any of it. They are going to get what they voted for and they're probably not going to like it. They will probably riot at some point. I think things are going to go downhill as a result of this referendum. It's such a chaotic mess.

As far as prepping goes, if I would leave the country I would. Unfortunately I don't think I can. It's so hard to know how to prepare. If anyone has any good ideas I would like to hear them.

crazycatguy Sun 06-Nov-16 10:47:02

Nationalism has really risen in our broken country and the referendum sadly epitomised that.

Leavers were mostly older people who will just write letters to newspapers few people read about expressing their fury at metrication. However, the racist contingent of Leave who voted to do so because the Polish stole all the jobs they wouldn't do may take time out of their 'enforced unemployment' to chuck some bricks at foreign owned business premises.

DoYouRememberJustinBobby Sun 06-Nov-16 14:07:44

I won't lie, I was kind of hoping to get "absolutely not, don't be daft" replies but I think we are thinking along the same sorts of lines. I think the media are really stirring something up here and it's turning nasty pretty quickly.

ThroughThickAndThin01 Sun 06-Nov-16 14:11:14

Personally I can't see riots over Brexit.

If there are, the only prepping I can think of is stocking up so you don't have to venture outside unnecessarily and can hunker down until it blows over.

ValiaH Sun 06-Nov-16 16:30:56

Hmm, I don't know. I hope not, but I do think along the same lines as ThroughThickAndThin01 that all we can do is to be prepared to stay inside/ not go to city centres if things do start to kick off.

DoYouRememberJustinBobby Mon 07-Nov-16 08:02:11

I've genuinely never felt such anger. I visited a family member who lives in a town where there has been a lot of violence towards EU nationals since the referendum. She was incredibly concerned about the behaviour of people she has previously considered fair reasonable.
If we don't see riots, I certainly think there will be bricks through "foreign" shop windows as someone said above. Things are turning and becoming very tense.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now