Talk

Advanced search

Alternative housing?

(11 Posts)
LadyMaryofDownt0n Sat 20-Aug-16 20:39:44

I've saved almost £17,000 & would like to find some sort of unique/self build/alternative housing.

Obviously it's only a starting point but has anyone any ideas how I could use the money wisely?

Or should I just keep saving?

isthistoonosy Tue 23-Aug-16 13:16:05

Could you look at barges - depends where you live of course.

cozietoesie Tue 23-Aug-16 14:00:38

There are so many factors to consider - eg where you're thinking of living, what sort of family you have ( if you have one), what you and any other people do for a living, what sort of lifestyle you really want, what skills you have etc etc etc.

MrsTerryPratchett Tue 23-Aug-16 21:39:43

There are people here converting vans and living in them. But you have to be wary of safety and laws about travelling.

LadyMaryofDownt0n Wed 24-Aug-16 01:48:34

No barges here unfortunately. I am in rural Ireland. That would have been a great idea though.

Family of 4
Middle income
Minimal diy

I was thinking cob house
Caravan
Log home
A house built from tyres.

That type of thing if anyone has any ideas/experience?

NoncommittalToSparkleMotion Wed 24-Aug-16 02:23:06

Place marking as this kind of stuff fascinates me.

What about like a houseboat or the tiny house movement?

NoncommittalToSparkleMotion Wed 24-Aug-16 02:23:55

Sorry, scratch houseboat.

Katymac Wed 24-Aug-16 12:59:31

Strawbale houses are good

Chiliprepper Wed 24-Aug-16 13:00:51

Earthships?

cozietoesie Wed 24-Aug-16 13:21:18

I'd just be careful that whatever you do, you do with a detached and thoughtful head on you. £17k is not a huge amount of money but it's still a fair amount of cold hard cash and you don't need to be swung into contributing it to a collective dream which doesn't actually pan out. (I'm not saying that collective living doesn't ever work out but there might be some dreamers out there who haven't a clue about real life issues. Things can take an awkward turn sometimes over supper and a few bottles of wine.)

LadyMaryofDownt0n Wed 24-Aug-16 18:51:47

Cozie, rest assured we are level headed. Money will be well though out. We've been living an alternative lifestyle for a while now, this is just the next natural step for us... I hope!

Straw bale is an option. Any advice on how I would start/ what I should look for first?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now