Talk

Advanced search

What skills do you have.....

(45 Posts)
cozietoesie Wed 29-Jun-16 10:58:20

.....in your family? Or are lacking and need to develop them?

It occurred to me a number of times, recently, that I may be the last person in my own family that has ever milked a cow by hand. The current youngsters would most likely spend a couple of days during any difficulty checking their mobiles for signal and would then start rushing around and faffing.

Compared to, for example, my great grandfather who could have kept on going in the event of most things - because he was actually more on top of his living, hard though it was.

Are you raising your own DCs to be able to do practical things?

DaughterDrowningInJunk Sun 03-Jul-16 20:58:37

I am raising mine to be pyromaniacs. Well that's not quite the intention but I am raising them to be able to start fires. I have bought them knives and they will fiddle with bits of stick with them. One of them is quite into gardening and growing vegetables but we don't have anywhere to do that any more.

I encourage them to think about stuff, like choosing the safest seat on transport and finding fire escape routes. They do stuff like very basic cooking or heating of food and if the SHTF they could do that on a fire all by themselves.

They know how to purify water with a tablet and not to do it in their metal bottles but I don't know how much of that has sunk in because they have never actually done it for real. I am not sure if I trust the tablets enough to us them on water that probably has a dead sheep in it upstream when it isn't an emergency! I am going to do some stuff like distilling water with them over the summer which is more of a science based activity.

Actual day to day skills that they would need for the rest of their lives, I don't know. Some of the stuff I did at their age they can't do because we just don't live in the sort of environment where they are exposed to that stuff.

DaughterDrowningInJunk Sun 03-Jul-16 21:05:10

Sorry, I think I may not have answered the question. The skills I have are mainly outdoors type skills that you would need if you got stuck on a mountain overnight, so my angle on preparedness is more of an extension on that. I do have basic horticultural and sewing skills but nothing fancy, just the very basics. I can shoot but I don't have a gun, so that's pretty useless.

The DC can maintain their own bikes far better than I can because they have been taught, whereas I just had to muddle through. They can also check oil, tyre pressures, screenwash etc on the car. I am not very good on car maintenance so that is all I have really been able to teach them.

I don't think I have a huge bank of knowledge that I can pass on to the DC. I think as a nation we are probably becoming less and less skilled in so many ways.

Springdew Sun 03-Jul-16 21:09:19

Strange question, my answer would sound like a cv, which I don't think you're interested in. Practical skills, no, absolutely none other than map reading.

Springdew Sun 03-Jul-16 21:10:48

Ah, just realized this is in preppers! As you were...ignore me grinblush

cozietoesie Sun 03-Jul-16 22:57:05

Map reading is actually a useful skill, Spring. smile Well being able to read and work out things from pieces of paper generally! (Our family youngsters have apps on their phones for navigating on foot in the city centre. They don't seem to know the names of the streets they're walking on even. As for using cars?............sad)

redhat Mon 04-Jul-16 17:32:58

This is one of the main flaws with most prepping plans. Most of us spend a lot of time reading about the skills we would need but not much time actually practising them.

I can filter water, start a fire, build a decent shelter. The rest of it is theoretical knowledge.

I am about to start a vegetable garden though (partly as a result of what is happening in the country and the fact that food prices are likely to be impacted).

cozietoesie Mon 04-Jul-16 17:47:37

Even theoretical knowledge - and knowing where to go to get it - is better than no knowledge at all, I think?

And actually being able to filter water, start a fire and build a decent shelter are pretty critical skills I reckon.

redhat Mon 04-Jul-16 18:57:49

It's a start. The DC can start a fire and name every Marvel superhero/Star Wars character. I think I need to work on their skills....

cozietoesie Mon 04-Jul-16 18:59:43

grin

cozietoesie Mon 04-Jul-16 19:01:37

Although - the power of language and storytelling etc etc smile They might be prime candidates for rekindling the oral tradition.

GerdaLovesLili Mon 04-Jul-16 19:01:46

I'm a Tudor re-enactor.... It's amazing how many prepping skills you learn just doing that; from cheese-making, herbal medicine, sword fighting, cow-milking, fire-starting, sewing, gardening etc. Along with basic engineering/plumbing skills becuase your kit costs so much that you have to learn to make do and mend at home.

cozietoesie Mon 04-Jul-16 19:07:52

Ah, sewing.

I fear that that's an alien concept to most of the youngsters in our family. They just don't understand, for example, what it means to darn. Just don't understand it. sad

WhispersOfWickedness Mon 04-Jul-16 19:21:20

I could deliver a baby in the absence of a trained midwife (2 years of midwifery training) grin
Other than that, I can sew and grow a few vegetables, that's about it blush If the SHTF, my plan is to seek out my FIL, he has an incredible engineering mind and can make anything from anything and sort out any practical problem. Also, MIL can sew, cook, grow all manner of tasty things, so theirs is definitely the place to be if it all goes wrong grin

redhat Mon 04-Jul-16 19:24:36

I'm about to start a vegetable garden. We used to have one but it was something we inherited from the previous owners of the house and we didn't appreciate it at the time.

I'm now getting large raised beds right outside the kitchen to grow veg and herbs and I'm going to rope in the DC to help. So that will be another skill they have.

MsMermaid Mon 04-Jul-16 19:29:35

I can grow veg, start a fire, build a shelter, sew, crochet, knit. Mil keeps chickens and grows veg. The rest of the family are shit, they have skills like playing a flute, or designing websites which are hardly going to helphmm.

I'm planning on heading to mils and teaming up with her.

MewlingQuim Mon 04-Jul-16 19:35:33

I'm a microbiologist so I have a fair bit of useful knowledge, some only theoretical but also some practical. Making beer, wine, cheese, fermentation for food preservation, sterilisation, sanitation, healthcare etc.

However, my most important skill if the SHTF would be caring for my glasses, without which I am blind as a bat and incapable of doing anything grin

fieldfare Mon 04-Jul-16 19:52:46

We're quite practical people. I grow a good amount of veg and preserve it for the rest of the year. I can shoot and butcher most things, sew, knit, crochet, all really a make do and mend attitude.
Dh is adept at electrics, plumbing and fixing pretty much anything.

i think we'd manage ok.

cozietoesie Mon 04-Jul-16 20:20:30

Well done, field.

So you'll be acquiring some spare pairs, Mewling? smile

redhat Mon 04-Jul-16 20:22:45

I suspect the older generation would fare much better than the younger generation.

Im going to make it my aim to acquire a couple of new practical skills.

fieldfare Mon 04-Jul-16 21:38:19

Red hat that's exactly why I've recently taught myself to crochet. I enjoy learning practical skills.
We'd really love to have a small holding and become as self sufficient as possible.
I'm not sure how well Dd 13, would cope. She'd flounder around trying to find wifi for a while I'm sure!

cozietoesie Mon 04-Jul-16 21:54:02

I've been known to ask our youngsters whether they 'do' books. They always grin and say 'Of course' - but I suspect they're indulging me. wink

Whatthefoxgoingon Tue 05-Jul-16 13:22:49

I can knit, start a fire, read maps, use a bow and arrow and shoot clay pigeons. That's about it.

cozietoesie Tue 05-Jul-16 13:51:17

That's a heck of a sight more than many people.

Whatthefoxgoingon Tue 05-Jul-16 14:37:04

really? Thanks cozie

<preens>

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now