Talk

Advanced search

Containment (tv series)

(18 Posts)
DeltaSunrise Thu 28-Apr-16 10:29:13

Is it on in the UK and is anyone watching it?

I assume it must be as we (NZ) got it the same day as the US and we never get anything before the UK.

What does everyone think?

cozietoesie Thu 28-Apr-16 11:18:01

I've not seen it, I'm afraid. Does anyone know where/if it's being aired in the UK?

DeltaSunrise Thu 28-Apr-16 11:38:28

I've just had a quick Google and as far as I can see it just says it'll be on E4 summer 2016.

This actually really surprises me as our tv is usually so far behind (although getting better). We're 2 episodes in here so I don't want to say anything until others have seen it.

cozietoesie Thu 28-Apr-16 13:24:51

I saw the E4 thing but rather wondered whether there was something earlier.

NZ has beaten the UK on this one it seems. smile

cozietoesie Mon 11-Jul-16 11:59:31

Apparently, it starts on Wednesday here - on Channel 4. ( I've just seen a trailer.)

cozietoesie Thu 14-Jul-16 13:38:13

One episode down and it was much as I expected it would be. Maybe it will improve some as things develop.

DeltaSunrise Fri 15-Jul-16 08:16:57

I think I remember reading somewhere that each episode had a different writer and director.

We've only got one episode left to watch here, they aren't making another series after this one.

I think some of the acting was a bit crap but I enjoyed watching it nonetheless.

MrsJoeyMaynard Fri 15-Jul-16 08:23:34

I recorded this but haven't watched it yet.

I did however see Cordon when it was on BBC4 last year - a Belgian TV series, which I believe Containment is based on. So it'll be interesting to see how the 2 compare.

cozietoesie Fri 15-Jul-16 09:15:03

Yes. I think one is based on the other.

I guess it's worth watching that episode if you have it recorded but I don't feel any great desire to follow it. Like most of these series, it's been commissioned to make money for the producers so it seems to be heavily biased towards the 'human interest' with fairly predictable story lines/characters and little concern for facts and realism. The reality would be too awful to try to document, I guess.

Maybe it improves later on.

redhat Sun 17-Jul-16 14:01:05

I think Cordon was much better from what Ive seen so far. Often the way when something is Americanised. It also looks like they felt it necessary to go all walking dead at the end which is a departure from Cordon which was ended in such a way that a second series could be made.

cozietoesie Sun 17-Jul-16 14:24:57

I recall the difference between 'Threads' and 'The Day After'. ( The latter being known, at the time, as 'Dallas-with-Bombs' if I recall.) Having said which, even 'Threads' didn't pack the punch of 'The War Game' which - while it was a film of its time - had to be withdrawn by the BBC and wasn't, I think, publicly aired.

cozietoesie Sun 17-Jul-16 14:28:15

Sorry - wasn't publicly aired until many years later.

cozietoesie Sat 23-Jul-16 19:39:22

I watched the second episode and while I liked the convention they've adopted ('introduced'?) of showing telephone callers in an inset screen tag, I found the thing visually confused as a whole and without depth. That was just me though so other people might have gained more from it.

(When I find myself looking for continuity glitches on first viewing - as I did - I know they've lost my real attention.)

MrsJoeyMaynard Sat 23-Jul-16 19:49:26

I keep comparing it to Cordon. I don't remember the symptoms in Cordon being quite so bloody.

Dfg15 Sat 23-Jul-16 19:51:25

I started watching then got bored no character in it that I actually cared about. Deleted the series link

cozietoesie Sat 23-Jul-16 20:32:58

Maybe the gore was meant to add realism when the characters had little of it. To 'spice it up'. Who can say? smile

MrsJoeyMaynard Sat 23-Jul-16 20:44:30

I suppose the gore makes the speed with which the cordon is raised around the quarantine area more realistic.

Makes it more obvious that the first few victims aren't just suffering from a known illness with known treatments.

cozietoesie Mon 25-Jul-16 15:08:22

That's a fair point.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now