-Painkillers
-Hand sanitizer

On order is:
-Wind up torch
-Foil blankets
-Plasters (can never have to many)
-Whistle
-Surgica/Dusk masks
-More water purfication (but in liquid form)
-Fire starters

What else do i need? Obviously food of some sort. I have a tent under the bed i could grab if needs be...
And what bag do you keep your stuff in? Mines in my old backpacking rucksack.

NewToNoContact Wed 30-Dec-15 13:30:25

Head torch is useful.

I have removed the cardboard tube from a loo roll, then squashed the loo roll flat and put it inside a small ziplock bag.

MoonDuke Sun 03-Jan-16 18:52:07

Cash
Map of local area
Windup radio
Food
Clothes

Allergictoironing Sun 03-Jan-16 22:17:20

Non-safety matches (e.g. Swan Vesta) and a lighter - petrol Zippo type as they light easier in a wind

Gliblet Mon 04-Jan-16 14:32:53

Military ration packs are a good buy (sealed, long life, minimal prep required). Also a flint & striker, foraging guide (basic stuff, poisonous plants and mushrooms, edibles and medicinals - make sure you get an edition for your country!), tarpaulin (can be shelter, storage, flooring, additional waterproofing), string. Can never have enough string grin

BiddyPop Mon 04-Jan-16 14:45:45

I don't yet have a BOB, but I know where the bits are in a hurry. Mostly in the same few rooms:

Study:
Head torches (2)
Tinfoil blanket
Waterproof bag and couple of backpacks (daysacks)
Ziploc bags (usually used to pack clothes by outfit on camp for DD but useful to keep things reasonably dry)
2 Metal cups
Couple of penknives, whistle
PLasters, various emergency meds (painkillers, dodgy tummy, antihistamines etc)
Suncream, bug spray, hand sanitizer
Cash, passports
Wicks
1 adult sleeping bag
Camp towels
Tampons (more for cotton for fires)

Hot press:
DC sleeping bag
Loo roll
Clean clothes (and bedrooms)

Downstairs:
Small wind up lantern
Lighter, matches (would probably throw in a couple of firelighters in a ziploc)
Candles (would take 2 long and a handful of tealights - depending on space and realities facing me)
Muesli bars and dried fruit
Mini squash (ultra dilute)
Water bottles
String
Power pack for charging phones for extra life
Map of - not immediate area but not far away (6-7 miles away) where there is safety and wilderness

Outdoor gear - wet trousers, rain coats, hats, gloves.
(DDs and DHs boots - mine live upstairs in wardrobe)

languagelearner Sun 22-Jan-17 08:13:55

Do people really have those bags?? Really? What if you're somewhere else when you need it, like at work?

BertrandRussell Sun 22-Jan-17 08:15:39

Tinfoil for hat making?

languagelearner Sun 22-Jan-17 10:16:39

Bertrand, if you must have something made out of aluminium, I suggest you buy a Trangia outdoor stove, like this one www.youtube.com/watch?v=jIitXB68LXg You can wear one of the pots as a hat, if you must.... smile You run it on ethanol.

BertrandRussell Sun 22-Jan-17 11:55:32

I've got a Trangia. One of my favourite possessions. I like it almost as much as I like my Kelly Kettle.

scaryclown Sun 22-Jan-17 12:04:20

Solid gold coins,
Rohypnol
powedered death cap
purple nytryl gloves for handling poisons
marmite (b vitamins )
balaclavas
camo paint

scaryclown Sun 22-Jan-17 12:06:28

shoe polish..blacken face, start fires, waterproof boots leave signals /direction markers.

gamerchick Sun 22-Jan-17 12:22:31

Its on my to do list. Most things I have, they just need assembling into their backpacks.

There's some decent military ration packs on amazon but I suppose rounding up freeze dried camping food is just as good. I've got bits of that in already.

Birth certificates and whatnot.

cozietoesie Sun 22-Jan-17 12:41:33

It depends, to me, on what the situation is and how much time you have. For most of us, the main danger is still a house fire and the amount of time we have is likely to be limited in the extreme. (I'd probably be thinking of essential family pictures, necessary meds, spare eyeglasses - where needed - and similar things.)

languagelearner Sun 22-Jan-17 15:29:38

You're right about that, a fire. When I had moved from home, that year, or thereabouts, a guy in the opposite building had been smoking in his bed at night... that was the last thing he did. If the fire is in your flat, you've got three minutes to get out of the building, or shorter, so it's not the time to run around and look for stuff. When I was a tourist in London, the fire alarm went off in the middle of the night at 4 a.m. and basically you only have time to grab your ID and tickets, maybe some clothes, and rush out into the street. It was a false alarm though, but one couldn't know that.

cozietoesie Sun 22-Jan-17 15:41:19

When I last faced evacuation for fire, I had no time at all, I fear. (The (newish) building two down from me went up due to an electrical fault.) It was a close run thing.

cozietoesie Sun 22-Jan-17 15:45:02

Sorry - I would normally hope for a couple of minutes. You definitely wouldn't have time to ponder, though.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now