What do you prep for?

(14 Posts)
SideOrderofChips Sun 06-Dec-15 09:31:02

After talking to my friend today about it all, we were discussing what we believed the major threat would be.

My personal feeling is that the thread will be a computer hack resulting in complete loss of power for a sustained period of time.

What are you prepping for realisticly?

exLtEveDallas Sun 06-Dec-15 09:33:49

Bad weather. Village being cut off and loss of power when the sub station floods (which happens every year). Neighbours tell of a 5 day loss of power in the past, although we've only 'suffered' a few hours at a time since we've lived here.

SideOrderofChips Sun 06-Dec-15 09:38:18

See where i am, we get all our electricity from France in an underground cable. Which has broken before causing sustained power cuts.

I have a prepping wish list going on amazon. at the moment that is including wind up torches,a wind up radio. I need to get my shed sorted so i can find my camping stove and get a new gas cartridge for it.

zombiesarecoming Sun 06-Dec-15 09:54:16

Power cuts are a major problem for some today after the flooding in the Lake District has taken out an electricity sub station, and for a lot of others around there they are flooded out of there homes

Stratter5 Sun 06-Dec-15 13:14:56

Bad weather, power cuts, and flooding for me.

Am twitching massively over terrorist attacks now, and trying to keep a lid on it. Worst nightmare for me, bio/chem/dirty bombs. All of which they're capable of.

ThroughThickAndThin01 Sun 06-Dec-15 13:23:13

An economic crash on a major scale.

Power cut on a minor scale.

We are in no danger of flooding where we are. We may be cut off by snow, but this realistically wouldn't be for long if it happens at all.

And like Stratter5, I'm worried about terrorist attacks. I'm not cancelling any arrangements already made, but I'm not making any new ones in London currently. I'm not keen on the tube at the best of times., I'm avoiding enclosed shopping centres like Westfield and Bluewater, and instead going to towns to Christmas shop.

Stratter5 Sun 06-Dec-15 14:15:19

Yes, we've changed our shopping habits too, I've always done most gift shopping online, but we are definitely using local shops more.

EMPs concern me too. Daesh are v v wealthy and organised, and I fear the bombing will make them turn their attention to us.

howtorebuild Tue 08-Dec-15 07:43:32

Nothing in particular, just to have a week or so where we can cope without services and going out.

I am rubbish at topping up. hmm We have no beans left and the water has gone down. I am going to have to order a top up shop and check dates for the tinned rice pudding can be eaten without heating up we never use.

Lollypop27 Sat 12-Dec-15 11:25:03

I prep for all sorts - loss of income (food) so we can survive paying the bills without worrying about food.

Bad weather - power cuts, not being able to leave the house etc.

BiddyPop Mon 04-Jan-16 15:19:31

Mostly bad weather.

However, as I had decent general storecupboard supplies in, and the freezer was in OK nick, I actually managed reasonably OK over the autumn. DFIL was very unexpectedly diagnosed with cancer, and DH had to travel "down home" for an awful lot of the following 5 weeks (he spent about 3 nights in his own bed - between time down home and a couple of foreign work trips), many of those being urgent calls. I had a hectic workload, and managing DD on my hands. And only having 1 car meant that I rarely got to the shops (DD and I spent a lot of time down there too, just less than DH).

DH has had to spend all but 1 weekend since there - as not only was his DM very unable to cope, but her 1st cousin (DMIL is effectively next of kin and had been bringing DCousin to hosp appts etc for years) also had a very short cancer DX to death journey which started the week after DFIL's funeral. So we were down for the month's mind and back down again for another funeral in short order. Then Christmas. And DH still needing the car.

I did one internet shop, but everything was so up in the air that I couldn't plan on being home for deliveries.

But we managed to have dinner on the table every night we were home (we ate out a handful of times, to get out rather than necessity), DD had lunches for school, and I found food when I was utterly floored by a chest infection just before Christmas and in no mood to cook let alone eat. And I was able to bring what I needed for making various meals, baking and components of meals to MILs (between the dark days and just feeding people food, much needed cake at times, and being the provider of all veggies for the Christmas dinner for 12 people too).

We are buying a new car (I get to collect it in 10 days), so we will go back to a 2 car family (we had been single car until DD was born, then 2 cars for 8 years and back to single car for the past 2 years). I desperately need to restock the freezer properly, especially with (HM) dinners and the makings of dinners. And do a proper clear out of cupboards and restock.

But it was sooooo helpful to have the stocks on hand. In a way I never anticipated.

And because we have reasonably organized systems around travel anyway (between regular weekends to the ILs and my own DPs, work travel for both of us, and the odd family trip), I was able to have 1 set of bags left packed for when the worst happened, and another for "grab and go" nights/weekends, during the chaos and since. So DH hasn't had to do too much thinking (which he really hasn't been able to - just react). Like re-filling washbags when we got home rather than leaving it until we needed to go again, and leaving those, clean underwear/pjs and a couple of clean outfits ready to throw into a bag or already packed.

cozietoesie Mon 04-Jan-16 17:21:36

I'm sorry to hear about the family's bad times, Biddy, but Yes - that's what 'prepping' is mostly about, isn't it? Thinking ahead and being prepared.

I'm glad you had had some forethought to assist you.

SootyTheCat Tue 05-Jan-16 23:54:54

My plan is to prep for one week housebound with no services, for whatever reason, weather, flu outbreak, etc. But I'd like to extend to have longer supplies for something unexpected like your troubles biddy, and go bags for fire, flood, evacuation... On a tight budget though so toy wishlist is long and not getting any shorter!

BiddyPop Mon 11-Jan-16 12:33:55

I just realized I may have sounded like I didn't get out at all!! I couldn't get proper supermarket shopping, but I was getting a few bits in the M&S near my office as needed, and DH would get milk, bread etc before heading off. It was just that the "stocks" got very much depleted and I was not eating as much fresh stuff as usual (used up most of the veg I'd either frozen myself or bought frozen that I had in the freezer). And having to think hard about what to make a few days - and hoping I didn't just want a night of junk, cake and wine!!

lighteningirl Tue 12-Jan-16 08:08:12

Dh preps for economic crash (cleared mortgage solar panels veg garden and as much weaponry as I will let him) I prep for pandemics as that's most likely imo but low level I prep for everything from power cuts to bad weather. We don't talk about it in rl not even to dc tho I think they have a fair idea.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now