Talk

Advanced search

Do you keep your prepping quiet?

(20 Posts)
howtorebuild Wed 02-Dec-15 11:57:37

http://www.mumsnet.com/Talk/media_requests/2520614-PREPPERS-Id-love-to-talk-to-mothers-please?msgid=57901075#57901075

I do.

zombiesarecoming Wed 02-Dec-15 14:08:17

Yes other than to my DW who is now onboard

Wouldn't see any harm in talking to someone but I would only do it over the phone so they didn't know who I was or where I was, which would make the getting paid for the story difficult

ThroughThickAndThin01 Wed 02-Dec-15 14:30:58

Yep. Dh is an eye roller so as far as he is concerned we have a few tins in case we get snowed in. Actually, that is almost all we have, grin but I have a lot of plans and lists for various scenarios which I could act on at first whiff of a problem.

howtorebuild Wed 02-Dec-15 14:33:44

I bought two candles and glass candle holders yesterday and my one ring camping stove was delivered today. Hard core prepper here. grin Not quite exciting enough for the journalist.

howtorebuild Wed 02-Dec-15 14:37:13

Now I need a clay pot on standby. m.facebook.com/GypsysMeltingPot/photos/a.243894942339138.59567.238568062871826/1004390962956195/?type=3&source=48&ref=bookmarks

ThroughThickAndThin01 Wed 02-Dec-15 14:40:20

Yes I got the one ring camping stove agreed by Dh, as it was a bargain at £10, and our power was off over Christmas last year so even Dh could see the benefit of being able to heat up soup, water for coffee and tea etc, when we are cold, dank and it's dark and miserable.

We do have loads and loads of candles as well, but we light candles frequentLy in the evenings anyway just because we like them.

TheSlightlyEmbarrassedPrepper Wed 02-Dec-15 15:42:13

The terracotta pot heater thing doesn't work. I tried it a couple of years ago. I knew it wouldn't work but I like to try things out. The tealights on their own throw out more heat.

Today I bought a tin of chicken curry. Not really enough to fill a 2 page spread in the DM. It has to be the DM, right?

I would like to ask the journalist how they plan to photograph these prepper mothers. Do Dacre Rules still apply? (Dacre Rules are that women appearing in the publication must wear a dress, not black, and high heels). I'm visualising some poor woman holed up in her underground bunker, wielding an AK-47 and wearing a gas mask and nude platform courts.

howtorebuild Wed 02-Dec-15 16:03:15

grin A tin of chicken curry, a one ring camping stove and long life milk. Mother prepared for Armageddon, as air strikes begin.

Stratter5 Wed 02-Dec-15 21:16:21

Oh, I tried the terracotta pot thing, and thought it was real good. It definitely kept the basement warm - I switched the heating off to see

I keep dead quiet about it. DD2 is on board, DH rolls his eyes, but is fairly on board - he's 200 miles away atm though, so has no real idea. DD1 doesn't live here either so it's not really necessary for her to know. The fewer who know, the better imo.

cozietoesie Wed 02-Dec-15 22:01:07

Not particularly. I mean I don't run down the street ringing a bell and yelling 'The End is Nigh' (and round here, they'd probably just yawn if I did grin) but rather I just get on with things. If anyone asks why I do or buy certain things, I tell them but in an appropriate way. (You don't need to give young kids a fit of the screaming heebies.)

I've noticed that no-one laughs at me any more.

SideOrderofChips Thu 03-Dec-15 10:30:57

Only person who knows my plan to start prepping as soon as i sort my shed out is my sister in law. Because she is of the same mindset

atticusclaw2 Thu 03-Dec-15 22:01:08

I stupidly told my friends and family (because I was laughing at myself) and then became a little more clued up and realised that was a mistake. However they now know I have a small branch of sainsburys in my garage and will all be piling round if the SHTF.

zombiesarecoming Thu 03-Dec-15 22:34:41

We are not telling any friends or family, but we will be prepped enough to take them in without causing us shortages in most prolonged scenarios involving power outs lasting weeks or general food shortages

Maybe not just quite yet but we are well on the way

Stratter5 Thu 03-Dec-15 23:56:27

atticus just tell them you ate it all before it went out of date. No need for them to know you haven't.

"Phew, finally ate that last tin of corned beef. Next time talk some sense into me, please"

atticusclaw2 Fri 04-Dec-15 11:24:52

The alternative to eating it all is to lay traps for them when they try to get in. I shall dig a big pit for the in laws

Stratter5 Fri 04-Dec-15 23:37:27

Nooooooo, don't actually eat it, just let it be known that you ate it.

Speederman Sat 05-Dec-15 14:03:44

Only my parents and DH.

We live in Paris and I've been telling my parents for ages to get some bottled water, if only because plumbers cut the supply to the whole building with no warning and it can last days. Then the attack happened and they finally stocked up on water and food.

DH thinks I'm silly but humors me as it doesn't impact him.

Stratter5 Sat 05-Dec-15 15:22:26

It's so sad that it took the Paris attacks to make people realise its simply being sensible sad

howtorebuild Sat 05-Dec-15 15:49:37

Did you see the French, how to survive a terrorist attack in the mail?

lighteningirl Sat 05-Dec-15 20:44:32

Yes my dc have left home and they have an idea but no one else.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now