Talk

Advanced search

Powerless - the year the lights went out

(14 Posts)
swisscheesetony Mon 30-Nov-15 20:02:42

OK, just finished this and it's given me food for thought.

Those of us out in the boondocks are fine.

Things I'd not considered before:
1. Ducks/geese/rabbits - easy fodder around here for some reason I was focusing on fish as I'm coastal
2. Suet - what a way to make a dull soup/broth/stew more interesting with dumpings
3. Making an oven from a biscuit tin - anyone tried this?
4. Her obsession with washing... hmmn, think I'll be going "Daryl Dixon"
5. Old-fashioned household items will prove priceless. I already have an old singer sewing machine but I could use simple things like a pasta machine - so many of our devices are electric.
6. How important chickens are - I need to get myself a coop sooner rather than later and get some chooks
7. The sheer grudge of being at the mercy of the weather

Win items:
1. I tend to hoard old clothes so it's easier to make do and mend.
2. I'm good at making good food from shit ingredients grin
3. I have a good selection of clit-lit can be sacrificed as bog roll

Lose items:
1. I'm not currently growing any veg - I need to make this a project for 2016
2. Wellies - my current pair are a bit leaky - I usually replace via ebay... that option might not be available

So my real takeaways are that 1) I want to become a lot more self-sufficient in terms of eggs + veg - i.e., things I can do at home which I can use already but would have a lag time in times of need and 2) keep an eye open at carboot type things for "old-fashioned household items".

Anyone else have any thoughts from the books?

Stratter5 Mon 30-Nov-15 21:28:23

My first thought on reading your list was how relevant the antibiotics thread is. In a situation like that, we would absolutely be practicing the best hygiene we could, ABs are going to run out PDQ, with no access to replace them.

Stratter5 Mon 30-Nov-15 21:30:11

My second thought is, do I really need to know what 'clit lit' is. My third thought was a resounding 'no'.

swisscheesetony Mon 30-Nov-15 21:40:42

Oh you know, the "Jackie Collins genre"... But not as well written.

Martin saves 50 shades from the big roll pile.

swisscheesetony Mon 30-Nov-15 21:41:13

I have no ab's - but have a huge amount of morphine I could trade.

howtorebuild Mon 30-Nov-15 21:45:03

m.facebook.com/glastonburyburners.co.uk/?ref=m_notif¬if_t=group_comment_reply

This Man m.facebook.com/glastonburyburners.co.uk/?ref=m_notif¬if_t=group_comment_reply makes a burner with oven above, they would have liked that .

grin @ 50shades

Water and wood struck me as huge issues.

Stratter5 Mon 30-Nov-15 21:46:08

I have fentanyl lollies to trade. smile

howtorebuild Mon 30-Nov-15 21:52:24

I think I would have to Chuck a lamp shade and drawer in my garden here, so looters think we have already been raided. wink

ClashOfUsernames Mon 30-Nov-15 22:00:49

Sounds like an interesting book. I can't seem to find it on amazon? Or have I got it wrong and this is a film?

howtorebuild Mon 30-Nov-15 22:14:02

Look n the other thread for the link. The author is starting it again from tomorrow.

swisscheesetony Mon 30-Nov-15 22:18:37

elsteadwritersgroup.wordpress.com/2013/10/08/powerless-the-year-the-lights-went-out-2/

Just start on that page and click next - laborious blog set-up and a few other authors, so just click past them to get to Suzanne's stuff.

Oooh is she howtorebuild ? Tell us more!

I can't swing a cat for hitting a loch around here so water's not a worry... wood is hard to come by.

howtorebuild Mon 30-Nov-15 22:20:52

www.mumsnet.com/Talk/preppers/2513753-The-year-the-lights-went-out?pg=2&order=

SideOrderofChips Thu 03-Dec-15 10:32:57

a biscuit tin oven is quite simple to make, we get our scouts making them

zombiesarecoming Fri 04-Dec-15 20:12:18

If you can't be bothered making a biscuit tin oven and there is time before the SHTF to order from ebay in the states then the Coleman camp stove oven is a good bit of kit and will work on a normal gas camping stove

Managed to get one earlier in the year when we were over there as the one we had is getting on a bit now and Coleman no longer sell these in the UK

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now