Talk

Advanced search

Preppers Blueprint - a question

(6 Posts)
FrozenAteMyDaughter Wed 25-Nov-15 12:15:17

I think I have found my spiritual home at last. I had no idea I was a prepper until this section made me realise that my obsession with my constantly evolving mini first aid kit is actually a start on the road to full prep-dom. Plus the massive amount of crap vital equipment in my loft would keep us going for months in any disaster scenario (assuming I could find anything).

So now I need a book to get me started properly. However, I live in South East London opposite a small shop that sells literally EVERYTHING anyone has ever needed ever (except fresh cream for some reason). Is a book written by someone in the Pacific North West going to be of any actual relevance to likely disaster scenarios I might encounter? Or are there any UK written books that might be more useful?

TIA

Kacie123 Wed 25-Nov-15 13:00:44

Welcome smile I think some of the advice out there is definitely for different regions! However the principles are the same.

It partly depends on whether you'd be ok if everyone around you would make a mad dash to the same shop if there was a temporary crisis (electrics going out, food supplies low or some thing). I think the principle on these boards is to have some backup for water, food, light, warmth, and about in that order.

Most of us probably have food in the cupboards but the water supply getting cut off for a day can cause pandemonium! Likewise most of us have candles but in a longer power cut its safer to use a rechargeable torch etc.

The preppers blueprint sounds like it's more "the apocalypse has hit! Here's how you recycle sea water" sort of thing, which could be useful general knowledge, or might be a bit, shall we say, overkill. Probably worth a read though - I've got one on order so can let you know grin

Stratter5 Wed 25-Nov-15 19:59:06

I've got it, I'd say it's more relevant to me because I live in a very rural area. One thing I would say, don't rely on living opposite the perfect corner shop, having been snowed in I can tell you that shelves clear incredibly quickly. You'd be far safer pretending that shop doesn't exist.

FrozenAteMyDaughter Sat 28-Nov-15 21:08:00

Thanks both. Sounds like it might make.an interesting read.then. I would.quite like to know how to recycle sea water even if it never omes in handy. I shall be interested to hear what you think kacie123. Also I take your points about the shop not being much use in a crisis. Something to think about. Need to clear a cupboard for supplies I think.

zombiesarecoming Sat 28-Nov-15 21:51:26

If you google Tess Pennington you should find her website and blog and a lot of the stuff from the Preppers blueprint is available on there

zombiesarecoming Sat 28-Nov-15 22:44:47

The 52 weeks to preparedness blog that the preppers blueprint is based on is here

readynutrition.com/resources/52-weeks-to-preparedness-an-introduction_19072011/

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now