Talk

Advanced search

Solar panels on the new extension?

(12 Posts)
Stratter5 Tue 24-Nov-15 16:18:36

Roof is east/west orientated, is it possible to put solar panels on that I can use to take over in the event of a power cut?

lighteningirl Tue 24-Nov-15 16:21:00

You can get great results from East West orientation but they switch off in the event of a power cut to prevent overloading

Stratter5 Tue 24-Nov-15 18:58:11

Is there no way to install it so that it can be a viable alternative power source? I can't see any point in having it if it switches off just as you needs it.

lighteningirl Tue 24-Nov-15 19:01:36

It's a bit gutting isn't it.

zombiesarecoming Tue 24-Nov-15 19:14:06

There will be a way, I will have a look at ours tomorrow and see if I can work out what is going on

I think it would be a case of having a means to disconnect the house from the grid like a generator changeover switch and a means of bypassing the bit that shuts them down and reconnecting that to the generator side of the switch

But I am not sure for certain so will have s look tomorrow

Stratter5 Tue 24-Nov-15 19:21:46

Cheers zombie, that would be really helpful smile

atticusclaw2 Tue 24-Nov-15 19:40:48

My friend has a solar panel system which works in the event of power failure. You need an inverter and a battery storage system. Quite expensive I think but definitely worth it.

howtorebuild Tue 24-Nov-15 19:47:01

You can go off the grid, buy a battery to store the panels charge and a device to stop things blowing up. It all sounds complicated to me.

atticusclaw2 Tue 24-Nov-15 20:06:49

www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/bills/article-3064216/Could-Tesla-s-new-home-batteries-bring-energy-bill-ZERO.html

Tesla panels (you still need an inverter)

lighteningirl Tue 24-Nov-15 21:13:24

Tesla batteries are coming down in price but still very expensive we have been watching them

zombiesarecoming Wed 25-Nov-15 18:01:13

Well I had a look at our solar panels today Stratters and I'm sorry but I am non the wiser really

Looks like we have panels, into an invertor then through a meter (for the people who put the panels in to get the feed in tarrif) and then connected to our house side of the electric

Don't really know if it disconnects itself if there is a power cut to stop it feeding back into the grid or not but I think it does

Will be getting an acquaintance who is an electrician down soon to advise on wiring in the generator through a change over switch so will ask him if it can be bypassed somehow through a couple of switches and a bit of extra wiring as I know the panels still generate when the power is off the electric just doesn't go anywhere

Stratter5 Wed 25-Nov-15 20:17:54

Thank you for looking lovely, really appreciate it smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now