Talk

Advanced search

Unsupportive partner

(6 Posts)
nesting123 Mon 23-Nov-15 14:04:16

Hi all, I've been prepping for a couple of years now, but my DH does not support me on this. I've stopped trying to convert him and just get on with doing my own thing. In all other areas he is the most amazingly supportive partner I could wish for. Does anyone else have the same problem, and how do you deal with a partner that doesn't support your prepping?

Kacie123 Mon 23-Nov-15 14:31:06

Well, I put on "Blackout Britain" one night when we ate dinner cheery I know.

He wasn't converted as such but is less eye-rolly and more "if it helps you feel better" now.

Tbh I'm glad he's sceptical as he's the balancing act to my "do we need a generator or two?" queries grin

zombiesarecoming Mon 23-Nov-15 15:52:36

I put on Blackout Britain and then the day after handed phone over with the interesting post about being prepared/prepping thread open and said read this

Blackout Britain was pretty much enough but that post finished the job

chilledwarmth Mon 23-Nov-15 17:51:10

I think the trick is to try and make your discussions relevant to your own lives and routine. Has your house ever gone without electricity for some time? If it has then bring that into conversation. Hey honey you know last winter when the power went out, I was thinking about getting some candles and a couple of flashlights for us. If he works in a different town than he lives, suggest a travel bag for him in case he is stranded getting home one night. Those are just a couple things I can think of immediately, possibly neither apply to your husband but hopefully you get what I mean and can tailor it to him.

atticusclaw2 Tue 24-Nov-15 15:25:39

My DH initially wanted to have me sectioned but is gradually coming round. He likes the store since it basically means we rarely run out of anything. Run out of bread, there is always part baked bread waiting in the store. Out of milk, we have 10 litres in the freezer. Its basically like our own corner shop.

He mentioned a generator the other day when the snow fell. But lots of people around here have generators.

Stratter5 Tue 24-Nov-15 16:15:02

Mine scoffed until he saw Day After Tomorrow, then he came on board a bit, but developed irritating tendencies to follow me around, switching off lights.

He slipped a bit over the years, but since Paris has started listening to me more. Weirdly he struggles most with the flu pandemic concept, which for me is right up there in the most likely scenarios.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now