Talk

Advanced search

Ok, I'm going to admit you have a point

(9 Posts)
Pipbin Sun 22-Nov-15 23:30:15

It looks like Brussels might be on lockdown for a week. There will be water and electricity but all shops shut.
What the hell will people do?

So, in that situation what do you think people should have in stock to get through a week without leaving the house?

gamerchick Sun 22-Nov-15 23:39:35

Brussels is on lockdown? Man I need to start paying attention to the news.

I have a big walk in cupboard upstairs all done out in shelves so there is storage. Lots of long life products like tins, jars and packets. Bogofs come in handy if you can store them.

Fridge freezer and chest freezer full of meat, bread and the usual just more of it.

Animals need their own extra food stuffs also.

A week won't be too bad if there's electricity and running water though... People help each other out.

Unreasonablebetty Mon 23-Nov-15 00:51:43

I think the key here is that you need to have plenty of food that will last the whole week without going off.
I think you'll need lots of meat in the freezer,
Loads of tinned fruit.
Frozen vegetables,
Tea and coffee,
Loads of rice, pasta, potatoes.

Best to buy some extra bits like bottled water, and maybe a camping cooker and fuel for that, incase anything changes for the worst. In that case you'll be needing food that cooks very quickly like tinned spaghetti.

chilledwarmth Mon 23-Nov-15 01:37:41

This isn't a big problem, you only really need some food that will keep for a while. It's an interesting exercise in working out what you need though. For the next week make a note of everything you have to go into a store to buy and that's your answer.

oneangrydwarf Mon 23-Nov-15 04:21:20

All shops shut Pipbin? Supermarkets and shops, other than those in big malls, have been open throughout the weekend's lockdown so people are coping just fine. Transport is also running, just not the underground parts of the network.

Out2pasture Mon 23-Nov-15 04:31:07

pipbin; I secretly hoard toilet paper....

Pipbin Mon 23-Nov-15 06:55:47

Fair enough Angry. I just heard on the news on Saturday that they were going into lockdown and the shops were shutting. I then saw a headline saying that it might last a week.
That got me thinking about how people were coping.

atticusclaw2 Mon 23-Nov-15 07:14:59

If there was a similar situation here (and everything was shut) then I would hope most people would be ok. A week really isn't that long and hopefully people would have enough to share with friends and neighbours in difficulty.

As the basics though

tinned food
bottled water
enough essential medication
wine!!

Stratter5 Tue 24-Nov-15 11:51:33

I would still add water to the stocks, particularly given that they have stolen protective gear from an hospital in Paris, prompting the French to guard ware supplies.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now