Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Wow... I think I've found home!!

(12 Posts)
Unreasonablebetty Sun 22-Nov-15 18:59:23

I'm a bit of an anxious Betty, read about the preppers a few times on AIBU, thought I might fit in here,
Seems I've got a lot to read to keep me busy with reading....
Just wanted to say hi, as I'm settling in, where do I start?

Stratter5 Sun 22-Nov-15 19:02:34

Welcome Betty wine

Have a browse, and ask away. No question too small, or considered silly on here.

atticusclaw2 Sun 22-Nov-15 20:00:57

Hi Betty, welcome to the gang. wine and long life chocolate

Kacie123 Sun 22-Nov-15 20:01:11

Welcome Betty :-) hope talking about this stuff helps you feel less anxious. It's already encouraged me to revamp our living space (and have a few extra handy things around) in a genuinely helpful everyday way too.

Right now I'm sitting listening to Classic FM on the portable little radio, like we did around the camp fire when I was a kid. Lovely little feeling.

zombiesarecoming Sun 22-Nov-15 20:09:08

Welcome Betty

Not as busy here as other areas of MN but is where I feel most at home as well

And is a nice resource of shared info and also makes you think about prepping for things you may not have thought about previously

FreeWorker1 Sun 22-Nov-15 20:17:10

Hi Betty and welcome.

Dont believe the naysayers. We are not in the least bit mad. Just sensible folk doing sensible planning. smile

Unreasonablebetty Mon 23-Nov-15 00:25:55

thanks all,
It definitely makes me feel like we could be safer having considered the best things to do in situations, though I do worry that I've thought about things in a very extreme way, because I worry more about terrorist attacks and burglaries than anything else.
If my concerns are extreme, please don't think I'm on a wind up. I promise I'm not, and am very new to being able to discuss my concerns and it would be great to be able to fashion a plan of action to ensure our safety.... My husband just tells me it's unlikely and to forget about it. I would rather plan and make sure that we were safe if it did happen!!

I'm thinking about getting a go bag prepared for the members of our family- just in case we ever need to flee the house in a hurry- we are on a flight path.

And sorting out the loft so it is at least semi habitable incase it's needed- I just feel if we ever needed a place to hide the loft would be perfect.

Also is it beyond the norm to think about fashioning a sort of safe room within the house incase the need ever arose? I've only thought of this in the sense that if someone broke in, then how would we protect ourselves? A normal door would be easily broken, but my mums house was previously occupied by a lady who had a relationship where she suffered rurally bad DV, and she had this safety door put In which locked from the inside and had a metal plate in I couldn't imagine anyone ever getting through that! And if anyone did get in, the whole family (3 of us) could all be safe there together

What does everyone think? Does this seem a reasonable place to start?
Also- where could I find water purifiers?
How much water do people tend to keep in stock?

atticusclaw2 Mon 23-Nov-15 07:11:37

Hi Betty

Don't worry about feeling that your ideas are extreme. This is a safe place to discuss emergency scenarios and being more prepared for them. Everyone has different concerns depending on their particular situation.

There is a thread on the board where we've discussed panic rooms although I'm not sure that anyone on the board actually has one and there's certainly scope for discussing which part of your house would be the safest in the event of a break in and home security measures. Is there a particular reason you're worried about a burglary?

In terms of water purifiers much depends on whether you're thinking about bugging in (staying at home) or bugging out (making your way to a more secure place) and this often depends on whether you live rural or in a city.

We have water purification tablets (which were about £2.50 for 50 on amazon) plus bottled water. We also have water butts on the property which each hold a large amount of water which could be purified. If you want something for an OFRS (oh fuck rucksack/go bag) then I really rate the life straw. Its very lightweight, relatively cheap and basically enables you to drink water from muddy puddles if necessary. Mine was about £17.

To be honest, if you're in the UK, water doesn't tend to be our biggest problems given the amount of rain we get and so often some water purification tablets will be enough.

Kacie123 Mon 23-Nov-15 07:30:30

The only issue I can see with real life "panic rooms" is that your kids could easily lock themselves in. Or you could of something went wrong. Could you really grab everyone in there in time etc. It might end up making you more anxious than before.

So it depends how serious the threat of being burgled is but there might be better every-day measures and reinforcements you can take such as these police tips?

atticusclaw2 Mon 23-Nov-15 07:50:07

Plus the cost.

I mentioned on the other thread that I have a friend with one but that's because of her DHs job and previous threats. It was very expensive though.

We have a small room under the back stairs which is accessible through a false panel. If you didn't know it was there you'd never guess. Wouldn't fancy sitting in there (we just use it for storage) but we could at a push. We didn't put it in, it came with the house.

FreeWorker1 Mon 23-Nov-15 08:15:01

Betty - panic rooms tend to be the sort of thing people build who are in danger from kidnap or assassination. If you are in that situation or have very high end work of art or known to be very wealthy you need a security expert like Kroll to come and assess your entire security situation.

In general though casual thieves want to get in and get out with what they came for. We had our house assessed by someone who is a Master Locksmith who also fits security camera and high end security measures such as reinforced doors.

What he told us is that a casual thief will always look for an easy target and avoid anywhere that has good quality window locks on every window, lights, locked gates, gravel paths and drives as well as things like defensive plantings such as roses, thorn bushes and even window boxes. Ordinary burglar alarms are fairly useless as everyone ignores them and the alarms wired to police stations are expensive and police will not monitor them if there are a series of false alarms.

Thieves also will not break windows because of the danger of cuts leaving blood DNA and also the glass itself becoming embedded in shoes. They want to leave no clues as most thieves are already known to police and easily detected using databases.

Unless you are in a very high risk category, I suggest you look at building layers of lockable doors around you in your house that can be locked at night.

So for example. Our locksmith identified the back of our house as being vulnerable so we have window locks on all windows but then an internal high quality lockable door that leads from the dining room which is the back downstairs room that we can lock at night. Same with front ground floor room (our office) and basement.

Even if thieves got into dining room, office or basement they need to first defeat rose bushes and metal grills, then window locks and then an internal locked door that are solid oak. Most thieves will just give up and they would make so much noise we could escape. We also have key operated locks on our bedroom door so we could stay in there and our children are very close physically to our bedroom.

In essence our panic room is our bedroom but we have built barriers to give us time to get there at night. We also always ensure we have two mobile phones with us in our bedroom with chargers as ordinary wireless house phones are easily disconnected or wires burn through in a fire.

atticusclaw2 Mon 23-Nov-15 08:20:53

We also have lockable internal doors (although whilst the DC are still fairly small I haven't been using the locks due to the fire risk). The previous owners also installed panic alarms next to the bed.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now