Talk

Advanced search

What prepping thing have you done today?

(100 Posts)
Kacie123 Thu 19-Nov-15 12:32:30

I've just checked our fire alarm. Seems to work which is good! And I've finished packing our second emergency rucksack.

Just wondering what fellow preppers are up to grin

hebihebi Thu 19-Nov-15 12:53:35

We had an earthquake drill at DS's school. I thought they were going to send an email pretending there was an earthquake telling us to pick the kids up but the email never came and I couldn't find the letter so I called the school who said there was no email and just to come in confused

We were also supposed to walk in but DD was off pre-school with a cold and fever so I parked around the corner (I wasn't the only one).

I felt the drill could have gone better but it made me realize that I should hang onto the ergo baby carrier because if there is an earthquake, it's a long way to pick up DD from preschool and DS from school on foot with a toddler in tow.

Kacie123 Thu 19-Nov-15 13:11:30

Wow, whereabouts do you live hebi?

winchester1 Thu 19-Nov-15 22:28:38

Started trying to teach the toddler to carry a torch (safe in his pocket).

Kacie123 Fri 20-Nov-15 06:44:55

Heh - how'd that go for you? thinks of friends toddler who would just gnaw then hide it

Zetetic Fri 20-Nov-15 09:05:45

Thanks to everyone on here I have finally got round to checking my car tyres & pressure, oil levels, windscreen wash and have packed the winter kit into the car ready for the predicted cold snap. I'm toying with ordering the hand warmers. Are they any good?

Four bag loads of teenage clutter also emptied from car (by teenagers).

atticusclaw2 Fri 20-Nov-15 09:10:53

Not much here over the past couple of days. I retrieved my handbag torch which DS2 had "borrowed" to play with, filled up the car and the spare jerry can with diesel and topped up the windscreen wash. Car should be good to go if we do get wintery weather.

The DSs monoculars have just arrived from amazon (really for our forthcoming safari holiday but they would also be useful in a SHTF scenario).

That's all. I do have a lovely lamb casserole in the slow cooker, half of which will go into the freezer as an easy defrost and heat through meal.

FuckTheseSixFishInParticular Fri 20-Nov-15 15:44:42

I finally got in touch with a chimney sweep to come and sort out our chimney so we aren't relying totally on a gas fire or central heating.

Also I went to poundland and bought some torches for the kids and some diy stuff so we don't have to trawl through the garage every damned time we need to unscrew a tiny screw.

(FYI, they have a tiny computer repair tool with interchangeable heads that have tiny tools on them, like glasses screw sized and stupidly tiny toy screw sizes! For a pound!)

howtorebuild Fri 20-Nov-15 15:47:27

My small solar panel that powers a light or mobile, arrived. I put it outside to charge.

ThroughThickAndThin01 Fri 20-Nov-15 15:53:38

Started reading The Preppers Blueprint which arrived the other day. Adding tins to a cupboard I recently cleared out.

Kacie123 Fri 20-Nov-15 15:58:53

Zetetic, I've never found handwarmers particularly useful - but I do have a stash of these around which I sometimes use with bad periods. They can last about 12 hours (though not supposed to be used on one spot the whole time!)

My emergency lighter which works in all weather arrived today! Tried it and it's like a bloody mini blowtorch. am a bit scared, will be hiding it promptly

Kacie123 Fri 20-Nov-15 16:00:43

Is the Preppers Blueprint any good ThroughThickAndThin? Despite being on these boards I'm still trying to stick to a vague "prepare for if we had to ever go camping for a few days" approach, but am curious about learning more! smile

hebihebi Fri 20-Nov-15 16:08:08

Kacie123 Thu 19-Nov-15 13:11:30
Wow, whereabouts do you live hebi?

I live in Tohoku, Japan. The housing estate near my son's school suffered quite bad damage during the big earthquake that triggered the tsunami. If you're interested you can see the road that I parked on in at the beginning and end of this video that was taken after the earthquake.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=N5m4AupFJuU

The area has been cleaned up pretty well now and just looks like a big construction site but you can see why I might not be able to take the car in an emergency.

My car is sue for it's winter service and changing to winter tyres next week. It's starting to get colder here.

ScrappyMalloy Fri 20-Nov-15 16:17:43

Goodness hebi - scary stuff.

itsmeohlord Fri 20-Nov-15 16:19:27

Did my Xmas shopping in case it snows for the next month.

ScrappyMalloy Fri 20-Nov-15 16:26:02

In more Prepping News, I went to Tesco for a quick weekend supplies shop, and alongside the boring household stuff, I picked up three plastic raincapes, handwarmers (don't tell me they are no good, la la la la la, I can't hear you), latex gloves, more tins (hotdogs for 50p!) and some muesli-type bars for my car.

And my water purifying tablets arrived in the post, so they are in the rucksack.

winchester1 Fri 20-Nov-15 16:31:27

Not to bad as he likes to keep things safe in his pockets. The main problem is the small pockets on his clothes.

lighteningirl Fri 20-Nov-15 17:57:19

Discussed shtf rendezvous plans with adult ds now he's moved towns. Fairly sure he's humouring me but he has outlined his evacuation plan (we will dig in).

Kacie123 Fri 20-Nov-15 18:04:12

Gosh hebi, yes I see shock Definitely worth having non-car plans and drills!

Kacie123 Fri 20-Nov-15 18:05:34

Scrappy, one of my friends loves her handwarmers and regularly sits them in boiling water at work to "reset" them. They're probably much more Eco-friendly too! I just didn't like the ones I tried I suppose.

ScrappyMalloy Fri 20-Nov-15 18:47:08

If I hate them, Kacie, I will just have to stick my hands in my armpits, like normal grin

Heyheyheygoodbye Fri 20-Nov-15 18:51:51

I re-packed my car kit; added hand-warmers thanks to a tip on here, fresh water and protein bars.

zombiesarecoming Fri 20-Nov-15 19:46:26

Well I have just finished wiring up some leads to go in the UPS for the router and wifi, will ensure power continues in the event of a power cut for as long as there battery lasts

More for peace of mind allowing me to shut things down properly if we get a power cut than having them just go off

Also bought an ex British Army water bowser which will hold about six weeks worth of water for the four of us, just need to work out where to put it now

Zetetic Fri 20-Nov-15 20:35:15

Have also done a rendezvous plan for eldest dc (both at university). It just gives me peace of mind that they know where to go and where we will look for them should anything happen. They just humour me with faces like this hmm hmm hmm.

Thanks to everyone on these threads. I really like thinking through practical plans.

Zetetic Fri 20-Nov-15 20:56:46

By the way my dc are adventurous well balanced happy young people who travel by themselves to other countries. JUST to dispel a few of the more nasty stereotypes out there.

Honestly - can't you be a thinker AND have happy children?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now