Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

The fine line between prepping and hoarding, help please!

(7 Posts)
ChunkyStory Wed 18-Nov-15 10:03:31

I'm accumulating 'stuff' but also need to get rid of things to make more room. I'm finding it difficult to let go of various items (clothes I never wear, some old ish but decent condition Reusable nappies, books, old curtains,) mostly because I have Macguyver-like aspirations of somehow creating the ultimate up cycling item from said junk.
Does anyone else feel the same or have any advice?

cozietoesie Wed 18-Nov-15 10:32:31

I think they're two separate things.

We have a household which is actually fairly spare on worldly goods - with the exception of books - but those that we do have include items which are either multi-functional or can easily be used with no utilities. (eg radios, lights, tools etc.) Store cupboards are always kept at broadly the same level as well although the contents are rotated.

If you're having problems letting go of stuff, you don't need to use the label of 'prepping' to justify that; it's something to be worked on in its own right.

(In fact, I'd personally regard a cluttered house as almost antithetical to prepping - it's not only confused and lacking in planning and real thought but imagine trying to find something with no electricity. Or having a fire break out with no emergency services.......)

atticusclaw2 Wed 18-Nov-15 10:37:01

Storage isn't really a problem for us but I would agree that hoarding and prepping don't go hand in hand at all. My house is fairly minimal but we have the things we might need.

Could you gain satisfaction from discarding something useless (out of date dress) each time you bring in something useful (multipack of matches)?

cozietoesie Wed 18-Nov-15 10:40:11

Yes - we have no problems with storage at the moment. In fact we have empty shelves in places. (That doesn't agitate me in the least.)

Stratter5 Wed 18-Nov-15 10:44:28

Totally agree with cozie and atticus that hoarding is the antithesis of prepping. Hoarding is the random accumulating of crap on the premise that it could be useful one day. Possibly. Prepping is the careful accumulations of items that have a definite use in a potential situation. Hoarding takes up needed space, prepping has space designated for it.

You are hoarding. Those reusable nappies and old curtains have absolutely no use in any prepping situation unles you are being kept awake by an incontinent zombie with a big torch.

MrsTerryPratchett Wed 18-Nov-15 18:19:15

Prepping is organised, everything has a place, everything is needed and thought out. DH is a prepper but not a hoarder I am both.

Hoarding is something that you may need help with depending on how much of an issue you have with it.

swisscheesetony Wed 18-Nov-15 18:46:28

I think there can be a crossover. I "hoard" old clothes/coats because I think "if money gets tight that shaggy old coat will make a good blanket" and I'm loathe to throw out stuff which could be legitimately used further along the road.

However, the cloth nappies - unless you're planning another baby - could be sold to buy something you either genuinely love or is genuinely useful.

*i don't keep all old clothes - just stuff which isn't quite right right now if that makes sense. Aka power cut projects - that's when I do my darning. ;)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now