Talk

Advanced search

Mini handbag sized kit..

(18 Posts)
Therewere5inthebed Tue 17-Nov-15 16:22:51

Just that really, what would you consider essential kit for being out and about every day?

I have a plastic crate with emergency essentials at home so that I can choose what's needed according to the emergency (docs are in a fireproof safe) but can't decide what would be the most useful things to take if we're out and about, with limited handbag capacity.

I always have a spare charged battery booster for my phone, emergency numbers as well as everyday items but not sure if carrying a foil blanket for example would be overkill?

CMOTDibbler Tue 17-Nov-15 16:34:17

Your most pressing need would be first aid (plasters, dressings, wound wash, sterile saline for eyes etc) and to walk out of a situation - socks, blister plasters, disposable poncho, cereal bar, water.

So pretty much what it would be useful to have on your person in general.

cozietoesie Tue 17-Nov-15 16:39:19

Would it just be you or would you be likely to have others with you?

Therewere5inthebed Tue 17-Nov-15 16:51:13

Usually others with me but figure if I'm prepared I can help them. I was thinking about getting a small Swiss Army knife too but I'm unsure if you can carry them now.

cozietoesie Tue 17-Nov-15 16:55:56

I think that this is still the latest position. (Happy to be corrected if not.)

Therewere5inthebed Tue 17-Nov-15 17:07:08

Thank you cozietosie that does clarify it. The site I found did not mention Swiss Army knives specifically so that removes any confusion. I think I'll get a basic one and keep it in my large cosmetic case that doubles as my first aid, charger bag etc, at least I'd be able to open an emergency bottle of wine if all else failed!

Zetetic Tue 17-Nov-15 17:19:17

This is in my handbag (quite small)

Cash / cards
Phone / mini booster
Mini water bottles / protein bar
Contact details / ID
Pen / pencil that writes in all weather situations
Donor card / Next of Kin contact
Mini first aid kit
Antiseptic wipes (mini pack) / or hand sanitiser / or lavender essential oil which cleans wounds
Lip balm
Glucose tablets / vitamins (one strip of each)
Mini sun lotion in summer
Mirror
Safety pins
Sanitary towel / tampon
Multi-tool (mini)

cozietoesie Tue 17-Nov-15 17:33:55

Yes - something to write with and something to write on could be pretty useful.

Therewere5inthebed Tue 17-Nov-15 22:27:52

That's a super list Zetetic i've got a fair few things on it already but will be adding some more now. Thank you.

atticusclaw2 Thu 19-Nov-15 07:59:49

I always have a torch in my handbag. This is mainly used for mundane stuff but could be useful in an emergency. Its an LED one and very bright.

If you did want to have a foil blanket it's not going to take up a great deal of room.

FuckTheseSixFishInParticular Thu 19-Nov-15 15:38:14

I have much the same as Zetetic, but also a small but powerful torch, a little emergency cash capsule, and res-q-me, a personal alarm and a can of self defense spray (the kind which is legal in the UK). The extra stuff mentioned lives on my keyring, and really doesn't take up much space at all.

I often end up walking the dog at night by myself, hence the self defence stuff.

Speederman Sat 21-Nov-15 20:13:56

Specific to prepping In a small makeup bag I have:
Mini torch
Emergency capsule with cash in
Blister plasters
Rain poncho
Survival foil blanket
Dust mask
Antiseptic wipes
Whistle

I also carry pain killers and my migraine meds

I use a lot of underground public transport

0dfod Sat 21-Nov-15 20:25:03

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

0dfod Sat 21-Nov-15 20:25:05

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Speederman Sun 22-Nov-15 05:06:55

Some good ideas here. Love the res q me and attack alarm

Must also add food- I need to eat regularly anyway because of my migraines and sometimes get caught short

winchester1 Wed 25-Nov-15 20:47:32

What if you don't carry a handbag sometimes i don't even take my purse out (little change purse). Do you take all this if your walking the dog round the block?
Not sure what to take out when or how to organise it.
Most long journeys (over an hr), are in the car but I cant leave any battery stuff there due to the weather (minus degrees kills the batteries).
I have some bits in the change bag bit don't always take that (of course)!

How do you organise yourselves?

FuckTheseSixFishInParticular Wed 25-Nov-15 23:54:08

I have a carabiner clip with the res q me, emergency cash, personal alarm, torch and multi tool attached to my key ring. It really doesn't take up much space. I also have a keyring fob thingy with my blood group which I got when donating blood.

I have a travel first aid kit with all the usual, plus hand sanitiser, safety pins, sun lotion (summer) / hand warmers (winter) which can fit in a pocket or be clipped to a belt (I have a whole bunch of carabiner clips, they're useful!)

Lip balm lives in my purse/pocket, I have a thing on my phone which has my medical info, donor card and ICE contact details, phone live in bag/pocket.

Speederman Sat 28-Nov-15 07:27:50

I put almost all my prepper stuff in a small makeup bag which then goes in whatever bag I'm taking. If I'm going without a bag I don't take anything but that's usually just to the local park.

Have bought the res q me and personal alarm.

This board is expensive! grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now