Talk

Advanced search

What to put in a Bug Out Bag...

(17 Posts)
neverputasockinatoaster Mon 16-Nov-15 13:46:24

I have a thread in Chat but have been kindly directed here so thought I would copy my post and see if you lovely preppers can help...

OK so I'm having a right old stress head about recent events. I am dealing with this stress by beginning to create an OFRS for each of us.
I have begun by finding a plastic wallety thing for our documents and tonight DH is being charged with negotiating his filing system -pile- to find Mariage Certificate, Birth Certificates etc to put in it so I know where they are if we have to Bug out at short notice.
I am currently making a list of things we should have in a rucksack each so we can grab and go. These will be kept in the easy to access side of the loft along with our walking poles. I'm trying to be reasonable but covering all bases so we can actually carry them! DS and DD are 11 and 8.
So far I have...
Base layer
Spare underpants
Spare socks
Trousers
T shirt
Sweat shirt/Micro fleece
Hat
Scarf
Gloves
Emergency Blanket (Both foil and proper bright orange ones)
Mooncup and Sanitary Towels for me
A water bottle each (decent stainless steel ones)
First aid kit
A selection of pain killers
Antihistamines
Chocolate
Proteiny type bars
Wind up torches.
Micro Towels

What else do I need? My bag will also have a list reminding me to make sure DD has her vital cuddlies (both kids have an ASC and will need security) and that we grab coats etc.

I know I am probably being bonkers but this is my way of managing my anxiety. If I have a plan in place I can cope.

Zetetic Mon 16-Nov-15 14:07:59

Don't worry over recent events - highly unlikely to happen to you but at least you have thought about it just to set your mind at rest.

Good idea to have something for car breakdown or house fire anyway - see threads on these topics below. How about adding -

Spare phone & portable charger.
Money.
Mini toiletries - toothbrush, toothpaste, wipes etc
Self heating ready to eat meals
Map / compass
Sunblock

Kacie123 Mon 16-Nov-15 15:04:43

Mine are turning out quite awesome. I see them as great "let's go stay with your mum for the weekend" bags too (facilities are, how shall we say, not always great).

WATER
The sawyer mini sp128 - I've always wanted to try filtered water and this is my glorious chance!
Purification tablets

FOOD
Camping cutlery kit
Seven oceans emergency ration food (basically shortbread)
Chocolate, Sweets mints
Tea

HEALTH
First aid kit
Dust mask
Diarolyte
Travel urinal
Caffeine pills
Painkillers
Sunblock

SLEEPING
sleeping bag
Eye mask
Earplugs
Pjs
Inflatable pillow
EvaQ8 foil blanket

STAYING WARM AND DRY
Instant heat pads
Clothes (spare outfit including thermals, hat to keep head warm is crucial, lots of socks, and light shoes)
Micro towels
Umbrella
Poncho

LIGHT
Portable wind up torch
Coghlans survival candle
Regular candles
Wind proof matches

HYGIENE
Mini toiletries
Face wipes
Toilet roll

PRACTICALS
Gorilla tape and superglue
Batteries
Wind up charger
Scissors
Detail wipes
Bin bags
Tin opener
Certificates (except I don't know where these are anyway, so fat chance)

SURVIVAL (hah!)
Folding knife
Distress whistle

This sounds like a hell of a lot but I mostly just grabbed our spare things and pushed them into bags. Always been a bit of a camping enthusiast/Girl Scout wannabe anyway smile

DH regards all this with very dry amusement. But he'll see. you'll all see! grin seriously - it's good to be prepared and I hope it makes you feel less anxious, but if it's getting too much for you, might be worth talking to someone. thanks

Also, make sure you can carry it. If you can't, lose anything that feels "extra". It should basically be like an overnight bag but imagining you're staying somewhere with no facilities whatsoever I'm looking at you mum

I am also now beginning to realise that to be properly PREPARED I'd need to spend loads and have a spare bag in the car, house and office. That won't happen, so I'll stick to this and hope smile

Good luck! Looking forward to seeing other replies.

Kacie123 Mon 16-Nov-15 15:16:42

Another one I've just thought of is having some sort of photo of everyone (or small photo board of each person in various "poses" as people can look v different from different angles) - that way if you did get separated, you could use it to ask people if they've seen them?

I have watched way too many disaster movies I know

cozietoesie Mon 16-Nov-15 20:33:43

Some tools. A multi-tool/Swiss Army thing (you'll likely have one knocking around in a drawer somewhere) for a 72 and a very few more substantial things for SHTF.

ThroughThickAndThin01 Mon 16-Nov-15 20:37:59

Hairbrush/comb. It would be horrible not to be able to brush your hair.

Glasses (spectacles, not wine!) for those who wear them, plus spare pair if possible.

gamerchick Mon 16-Nov-15 20:46:35

Glucose tablets?

Those generally spring to my mind due to the diabetes.
Family meds in one grabable box.

Portable multi car charger for various phones. So handy anyway those things.

warmastoast Mon 16-Nov-15 20:49:23

I guess could be worth making sure your phone is also 'prepped' with important phone numbers like breakdown services, maybe local hotel?

Some light raincoats definitely important and easy to pack.

Stratter5 Tue 17-Nov-15 09:35:41

Use the health app on your phone if you have one. You list health issues, medication, and who to contact. There's also a space on mine for adding in a basic family tree, so your children etc can be identified in your Contacts.

neverputasockinatoaster Tue 17-Nov-15 11:03:29

Thank you everyone.
Lots of ideas now.
Cannot believe I didn't have toiletries on the list!!!

Stratter5 Tue 17-Nov-15 11:12:12

Do you have prescription meds?

ScrappyMalloy Tue 17-Nov-15 23:34:29

Lots of good ideas here, to add to my newly acquired bag, so thank you all.

Mine so far has toiletries, spare t shirt and underwear each, string, a cheapie tarp, water, tracker bars, and a couple of bits that I have forgotten, and can't check at the moment because DH is still awake and will laugh at me if he realises I have a ofrs grin

PomBearWithAnOFRS Wed 18-Nov-15 01:29:03

One thing you can do is, rather than having all of each persons supplies in one bag, share them around all the bags. Think of it like taking cases on a plane grin If they lose one piece of luggage, it isn't a complete disaster for one person iyswim.
Also, give consideration to the circumstances in which you would actually need to bug out rather than bug in - would you need a fire starter kit and facilities to cook a simple meal/make hot drinks?
I actually got my mam to buy me a Kelly Kettle for my birthday grin and keep sachets of various hot drinks on hand - as we use them I replace them - chocolate, bovril, coffee, soup etc.
I am totally with you on the "if I prep I can cope" thing - that's why I do it. The family roll their eyes and snigger when they think I can't hear them, but it comforts me to be prepared somehow grin
Sewing kit for any running repairs to clothes?
I have a teeny fishing kit in a tin in mine blush It was only a couple of pound on ebay and even though I have no real idea how to do fishing, it comforts me to know it's there, and it's only about 3 inches by 2 so in it went grin
I have a pen knife and a small oilstone/whetstone for sharpening it too.

neverputasockinatoaster Wed 18-Nov-15 13:48:22

No prescription meds for any of us thankfully.

If we have to actually Bug out we are heading for a place I know in splendid isolation!
We have a camping gaz stove and pans and I know exactly where they are!
Sewing kit is a good idea as is spreading stuff out across the packs.
I plan to add a notebook with pictures and info on each of us to each bag as well.

chilledwarmth Wed 18-Nov-15 19:09:47

I know you guys can't carry guns but are you allowed to own them at home? I was thinking that if you are then you could probably include one in your bug out bag because if you're bugging out there probably won't be much in the way of law enforcement for a while anyway.

ScrappyMalloy Wed 18-Nov-15 19:28:18

No guns allowed at home in the uk without a licence (and a good reason). Plus, they have to be very securely locked away, not in a bag.

I am a scout leader and own a good penknife though

chilledwarmth Mon 23-Nov-15 19:44:56

2 litres water in bottle
Water purification tablets
3 x MRE
3 x protein/energy bars
Sporks/plastic cutlery
Tarp
Sleeping Bag
2 x space blankets
Complete change of clothes – Top, pants (waterproof), underwear, socks
Waterproof jacket
High visibility vest

2x lightsticks or glo sticks
Lighter and matches
Fire steel flint and striker
Tinder
Batteries
Survival book, how-to's, a chapter on edible plants
First aid kit
Sunscreen
Toiletries
Fixed blade knife
Multitool
SOG Fasthawk
Insect repellent
Some 550 Paracord
Flash drive with important documents and hard copies
Whistle
Waterproof notebook and pencil and pen
Wire saw
Duct Tape
Hand crank radio
Sewing Kit
2-3x plastic bags
Folding shovel
Compass

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now