Talk

Advanced search

Tips / Shortcuts / Hacks / Handy ideas

(9 Posts)
Zetetic Mon 16-Nov-15 12:49:36

I love coming across easy ways to make everyday life & possibly emergency situations easier. Any genius ideas?

Here are a few for starters -

www.onegoodthingbyjillee.com/2013/05/25-tips-for-making-camping-easier-more-fun.html

www.buzzfeed.com/peggy/camping-hacks-that-are-borderline-genius#.kyJNXdPBl

Kacie123 Mon 16-Nov-15 15:34:13

Love em. Really want to roast a starburst now grin I found this slightly paranoid gem the other day - not a tip so much as a "huh".

Different type of doomsday scenario sort of thing - evading cameras!

Zetetic Mon 16-Nov-15 17:34:55

It might be me but I can't get your link to work Kacie. Could you link it again?

How about these gems? Who knew that tampons and condoms were survival items...

listverse.com/2013/04/30/10-off-the-wall-survival-tricks-and-tools/

Kacie123 Mon 16-Nov-15 17:51:21

Oh sorry! Trying again...

Zetetic Mon 16-Nov-15 18:23:22

Does anyone make paper logs from old newspapers (for logburners)?

Is it a good idea?

winchester1 Mon 16-Nov-15 21:07:06

My sister tried that for a while but only had a little shredder and not great paper (think newspapers are best) and she said it wasn't worth it. The took ages to make and dry, used a lot of space and although useful not great.
Suppose it depends what else you can do with the time, what paper you can get, how much you need to save money.

cozietoesie Tue 17-Nov-15 00:36:26

I did it for a year or two and I wouldn't recommend it. You end up with piles of old papers and buckets of paper soaking in water - the paper needs to soak for a short while to properly mush down - a rusting squasher thing and water everywhere (you need a fair bit of room to store them in a place where water run-off is OK and the floor is impermeable; and the whole endeavour is punishing on your arms and hands. (Even when you don't get cuts or bangs from doing it.)

They work fairly well for overnight smooring of fires but you'd get as good an effect from wet dross in my experience. (With an open fire.)

There are other ways to save money - and I suspect better things to use old newspapers for. I gave it up as a bad job.

Zetetic Tue 17-Nov-15 09:57:29

I wasn't thinking of making mushy paper bricks or anything that time consuming or complicated. I just have a pile of old paper (way too much to fit into recycling bags) and wondered whether a simple tight roll of newspaper tied tightly with string would cause any damage to the logburner chimney.

(I know that it burns fine as I've tried it with one paper log to the ratio of two normal logs).

cozietoesie Tue 17-Nov-15 10:12:50

I don't know I'm afraid. I have no real experience with specific log burners.

(I do know that I'm very wary - re chimney fires and all - of mixing fuels, especially in cases where a previous fuel (eg peats or greenish logs) might have been exuding resinous stuff and something is put in with sudden extreme dry heat and the potential to ignite gobs of resin.)

Another poster may have more experience in the matter.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now