Talk

Advanced search

If you are in a city, consider having an A-Z

(12 Posts)
TheSlightlyEmbarrassedPrepper Sun 15-Nov-15 07:41:44

I was going to tag this onto another thread but I thought maybe it merited a new one. Now that we all have satnavs, tablets and phones, nobody seems to have an A-Z any more. You can get quite small ones and they are definitely worth having in the event that large areas of your city are closed off, or if public transport is not running. You will most likely know the routes that you use regularly, but if you find yourself having to deviate dramatically from that route and A-Z is a handy thing to have.

Obviously you should have a road atlas in your car and OS maps of your local area, but the A-Z is the thing seems most old fashioned and which has fallen by the wayside almost completely.

Zetetic Sun 15-Nov-15 11:39:35

I must be the only person around not to have a sat-nav or smartphone. At the moment I just use maps & A-Z's. It sometimes gets us very lost but then we find magical out of the way places. I tend to memorize landmarks which works in daylight but falls apart when it gets dark.

How about trying one of these navigation methods? grin

www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-15125287

Heyheyheygoodbye Sun 15-Nov-15 11:48:12

Good tip. When I first moved to London I didn't have a smartphone and my A-Z was a lifesaver! Moved back to my hometown now and I've got a road atlas in my car but think I'll get an A-Z too, thanks.

cozietoesie Sun 15-Nov-15 11:56:39

Maps of some kind, anyway. We may be the only people left in this street who have some around the house - amd not just for our immediate area but for further afield. (And I may be the only person in this house that can actually read them; the youngsters just sigh at them and head for their phone apps.)

TotalConfucius Sun 15-Nov-15 16:20:29

I still have all my maps.
Mind you, we also have an agreed route out of London which all family would use. We no longer live in London, about 40 miles outside now but some family commute. Luckily, we were brought up in south London so would easily be able to get to the rondezvous road (which is not a major evacuation route but does run parallel). Several safe points along the way with remaining family and possibly means of transport.
From this end there's a cutoff point that we wouldn't go beyond, and several meeting points/lay-bys etc where they could expect us to be at certain times.
We have a car business so don't anticipate any fuel problems for a while.
It leaves the London people with a trek of about 15 miles minimum and the agreement is that we will not even start looking until 10 hours after any incident.

I shall be very pleased next summer when the last commuter retires!

ISpidersmanYouMeanPirate Mon 16-Nov-15 08:41:34

Yup good point. I have one in my OFRS

howtorebuild Fri 20-Nov-15 10:24:29

This is why I resisted a sat nav, my children can now map read, a vanishing skill.

MrsTerryPratchett Sat 21-Nov-15 00:29:22

I'm raiding the library as soon as the SHTF. Books on navigation, traditional farming, SAS survival. Plus librarians would be good to have on side. Very quiet so stealthy like ninjas but you don't mess with them.

speckofdust Sat 21-Nov-15 16:10:47

Hmmm but if civilization is restored, imagine the fines... a bit of good old-fashioned bookshop looting might be wiser, you could leave an IOU and at least it wouldn't go as high as a library fine.

MrsTerryPratchett Sat 21-Nov-15 16:24:40

My DBro is a librarian. I have an 'in' with them. <does secret handshake>

atticusclaw2 Sat 21-Nov-15 19:35:42

I have an OS map of our surrounding area. Its for hikers but would be very useful if we had to walk anywhere and avoid main routes.

Stratter5 Sat 21-Nov-15 21:44:42

I've got local OS maps in the car, but a proper AA book one is a good plan.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now