Talk

Advanced search

Natural Events (Worldwide)

(50 Posts)
Zetetic Wed 11-Nov-15 19:49:21

Thought it might be quite interesting to discuss upcoming natural events from around the world (plus what anyone is doing to prepare or not...)

Shall we start with Abigail in the UK?

www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/storm-abigail-severe-weather-warning-6812298

Stratter5 Wed 11-Nov-15 20:38:01

Great thread idea smile

Is there some sort of criteria for deciding if storms are worthy of a name? I'm not sure how I feel about naming storms; winter storms are pretty normal, it kind of turns them into an event.

cozietoesie Wed 11-Nov-15 20:39:56

There are criteria but I can't remember what they are. maybe someone can find a link.

cozietoesie Wed 11-Nov-15 20:51:08

Sorry, Stratter5 - I was being momentarily lazy. Here you go.

Naming hurricanes

Naming cyclones

Zetetic Wed 11-Nov-15 20:51:23

Seems to be storms which will have a substantial impact - www.cityam.com/226950/uk-storm-names-include-barny-frank-nigel

Found this cool Storm Tracker but where is Abigail?

www.metoffice.gov.uk/public/weather/storm-tracker/#?tab=map&stormId=12L&stormName=KATE

cozietoesie Wed 11-Nov-15 20:58:31

Oh - this has some interesting info on characteristics although it's a charity site and not a weather site.

cozietoesie Wed 11-Nov-15 21:01:43

Abigail

Zetetic Wed 11-Nov-15 21:05:39

Thanks. Perhaps storms like Abigail don't feature on the Stormtracker (only thumping great tropical ones). confused

cozietoesie Wed 11-Nov-15 21:27:07

I think you're right. From the site:

'StormTracker provides a mapped picture of tropical cyclones (tropical storms, hurricanes, typhoons) around the globe. Note, it does not include mid-latitude storms named as part of the Met Office and Met Eireann 'Name Our Storms' Project.'

It feels as if there's something Oh-So-Gently-Dismissive about being described as 'mid-latitude'. If I were Abigail, I'd almost take offence. grin

LadyMaryofDownt0n Wed 11-Nov-15 22:20:34

I am in bed listening to Abigail at the min! It's very very stormy here (north/west Ireland) we've had to put the caravan away for the winter, it usually sits out but I didn't want to risk a tree or anything falling on it & we've put all the garden furniture & kids toys in the garage. We've also put the trampoline (14ft) upside down & pined it down with tent pegs. Three years ago it blew across the garden & wrecked the fence. & a few trees & missed the cars by inches.

The sky isn't connecting properly so watching TV is outta the question until things settled down a bit. That's if the electric stays on it was off & on for two days at the beginning of the week!

And who says Prepping is stupid now?

cozietoesie Wed 11-Nov-15 22:34:01

No - storms aren't funny at all, LadyMary.

The last one I was in, people were crawling along the ground to get to places if they felt they had to - with the odd one still being picked up and thrown against things. I was truly frightened.

LadyMaryofDownt0n Wed 11-Nov-15 23:11:18

Oh that's awful! I witnessed a storm in the Maldives about 6 years ago it was very scary being stuck on such a small island with nothin, I honestly thought id never get home.

Being prepared is sensible.

From what I can see Scotland & surrounding islands will be hardest hit, is that right?

cozietoesie Thu 12-Nov-15 00:16:35

I think so - the Western and Northern Isles. I just don't know what tides will be at the time - it could be bad for them.

swisscheesetony Thu 12-Nov-15 07:05:47

Tides could be interesting, already this week they've been high enough to stop a lagoon being a lagoon... And are almost up on the road.

The winds are due to hit us tomorrow south-easterly then moving westerly throughout the day so I should be ok. North-easterlies are when I can kiss the shed goodbye.

Was gale force 9 briefly here earlier in the week, expect similar gusts tomorrow night.

cozietoesie Thu 12-Nov-15 08:09:12

I've been through it so I know what it's like.

Good luck.

swisscheesetony Thu 12-Nov-15 08:25:05

Just checked the forecast again, winter as normal - good drying and toddler-kite flying weather and it's coming in tonight.

Zetetic Thu 12-Nov-15 14:27:25

Abigail update.

www.bbc.co.uk/weather/features/34799873

Zetetic Thu 12-Nov-15 14:29:38

Earth view.

earth.nullschool.net/

cozietoesie Thu 12-Nov-15 15:14:19

Strewth. I better stay up tonight.

swisscheesetony Thu 12-Nov-15 15:30:37

Where are you cozietosie ? Wondering if you're near me...

cozietoesie Thu 12-Nov-15 15:37:59

North of Hadrian's Wall, tony. wink Not in the main drag for Abigail these days but I have a dodgy roof so still need to be alert.

Stratter5 Thu 12-Nov-15 16:59:28

Stay safe all my Northern friends smile

swisscheesetony Thu 12-Nov-15 17:02:47

Schools all shut tomorrow. <weeps>

cozietoesie Thu 12-Nov-15 17:59:47

Tears of joy, I'm sure. Just think of all that great quality time together. smile

Zetetic Thu 12-Nov-15 18:00:38

Now that is what I call a disaster..... grin

"SSE Power Distribution has warned that "a significant number of customers will wake up tomorrow with no power."

Hope you keep those roof tiles cozie.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now