Talk

Advanced search

COULD EVERYONE WHO THINKS PREPPING IS STUPID, [INSERT MH INSULT], USELESS AND WEIRD PLEASE FORM AN ORDERLY QUEUE.

(180 Posts)

MNHQ have commented on this thread.

MrsTerryPratchett Tue 10-Nov-15 01:24:29

Yes, I shouted. Sorry to your internet ears. Just hide the bloody topic.

Anyone else sort of looking forward to the Zombie Apocalypse now? We can eat all the mean non-preppers. That is a joke in case any special snowflakes think I will actually eat them.

CantSee4Looking Tue 10-Nov-15 01:35:17

Ooo you could eat me, but you would probably get something nasty as I am not allowed to be an organ donor or give blood. probably because the fuckers can't actually decide what is actually behind the symtoms and are ass covering

I was going to ask why you wanted them to form a queue. but clearly you just want them to hide the topic. I am not prediciting a zombie apocalypse but i do have a oh bloody nature weather incident aren't the authorities shit plan. Does that count as prepping?

MrsTerryPratchett Tue 10-Nov-15 01:49:14

They are all supposed to form an orderly queue and hide the topic. That wasn't clear.

Is there good eating on you?

Shit-plans definitely count.

CantSee4Looking Tue 10-Nov-15 01:52:45

At the moment it is 50-50. used to do a lot of exercise but now bed ridden. Probably rather fatty so high in calories. Might make good candles/lamp fuel at a push...

MrsTerryPratchett Tue 10-Nov-15 01:55:58

Calories are good in a ZA.

CainInThePunting Tue 10-Nov-15 02:30:48

Oh, I assumed all these prepping threads were about the c-word, is there really going to be a zombie apocalypse then?

MrsTerryPratchett Tue 10-Nov-15 03:41:35

Yes. Definitely. Or not. Probably not.

iamaboveandBeyond Tue 10-Nov-15 04:40:40

I am actually fully prepped for ZA/other apocalyptic scenario, so nyer.
I have a shit load of morphine and a bottle of gin.

HermanHedgehog Tue 10-Nov-15 04:51:19

I am far too lazy/ not organised for prepping, but I don't think you are crazy.

Spare me? grin

howtorebuild Tue 10-Nov-15 09:27:56

It got ridiculous yesterday. Do people go on celeb twaddle, litter tray, royal family, Christmas and other topics to take the piss? The only other topic I can think that gets this treatment is philosophy and religion or aibu.

It's just an extension of gardening, diy, cooking, storage and shopping type skill information sharing.

iamaboveandBeyond Tue 10-Nov-15 09:40:29

Yy. Its like the winter preparation thread on MSE.

Speaking of which, i think we need something along those lines here? You know, lining curtains to save heating money etc?

howtorebuild Tue 10-Nov-15 09:44:41

I got some radiator foil and put it between my wall and radiator, it helps.

TinklyLittleLaugh Tue 10-Nov-15 09:51:58

Oh God, I went over as a bit of a mickey taker, but I think I have been turned. In fact I think I am already a financial prepper and a poor weather prepper.

I spent the evening googling multi fuel stoves with hot plates grin

SconeForAStroll Tue 10-Nov-15 09:54:07

Good grief. I have just had a rant on that other thread.

Anyway, as the weirdo with lots of spares of everything and eyelet curtains, during winter I actually stack two pairs of curtains per pole, effectively doubling the thickness of the curtain. This makes a really big difference to the temperature in the room.

howtorebuild Tue 10-Nov-15 09:54:59

There was a solution found to lighting a wood burner in a power cut. A solar panel! You may have been caught out with your new stove, if people hadn't thought that through.

LetThereBeCupcakes Tue 10-Nov-15 10:00:19

I actually haven't made any plans, BUT I have access to an underground bunker that was built during the cold war. V. secure from ZA type attacks. I thought I could just trade supplies for access to my underground bunker. Is that OK? Can I stay?

I clearly need to buy more curtains, though.

SconeForAStroll Tue 10-Nov-15 10:04:51

lettherebe when I was growing up there was a place nearby that we villagers knew was the local bunker. In fact it was a popular place for going for a snog!

Anyway when it was decommissioned and re-opened as a museum, with entertaining signs to the secret nuclear bunker lots of my townie friends were gobsmacked that we had known.

it's on my list if anything happens when we visit my parents

iamaboveandBeyond Tue 10-Nov-15 10:05:14

I spend every autumn thinking about lining curtains, putting foil behind radiators and putting a curtain up over my front door. Yet winter always comes before it is actually done grin

I do have lots of tins though!! Just a bit shit at home-improvement type prepping!

PurpleHairAndPearls Tue 10-Nov-15 11:59:39

I read that thread and all I thought was...

We will have the last laugh grinwink

Seriously though, people who take the piss out of crisis preparedness (is that a word?) which is all this is, either are just bloody lucky to live where and how they live, or lacking in imagination...

Good job we didn't call it The Bunker eh? smile

Stratter5 Tue 10-Nov-15 12:04:29

I think it would have been better called The Bunker - it's jokey along the lines of The Doghouse and The Litter Tray. Preppers sounds too earnest.

A small, mean part of me, that I'm ashamed of, hopes a couple of them get really badly snowed in, or something.

LetThereBeCupcakes Tue 10-Nov-15 12:06:18

Exactly, purple. The thing is, I bet EVERYBODY does some sort of prepping. Even if it's just buying in some grit to keep in case of heavy snow. It's still prepping.

I think The Bunker would have been an AMAZING name for the Prepping Board. Wonder if MNHQ would change it... grin

gamerchick Tue 10-Nov-15 12:07:34

I had the same thoughts before I squashed it. grin

It'll die down, it always does.

jeanswithatwist Tue 10-Nov-15 12:19:17

scone i drive past it regularly although if the shit hit the fan, i won't be going there, i'd want to be vapourised smile

BeccaMumsnet (MNHQ) Tue 10-Nov-15 12:50:34

Hi everyone - we can see there's a few people who'd like the topic name changed. Can we just ask if everyone is on board with this?

I, for one, will make sure I am prepared. Not a big fan of being eaten.

howtorebuild Tue 10-Nov-15 12:54:05

A fun name would be good. Many people thought this was an educational topic for fee paying schools.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now