Talk

Advanced search

Of ostriches, boiling frogs, headless chickens and hoarding squirrels- attitudes and approaches to prepping

(25 Posts)
warmastoast Sun 08-Nov-15 12:38:04

Yesterday's AIBU about the prepper's board showed that there's quite a range of reactions to the concept of prepping from fear and anxiety, to intolerance, ridicule and suspicion. Perhaps because the immediate assumption is of militant fantasists obsessed with a vision of complete societal breakdown or perhaps gullible/ anxious/ self-indulgent hoarders.

To me that is definitely a misconception, because there are many realistic, even immediate scenarios that could and do require planning and preparation. It doesn't worry me, but I do find it interesting and useful. It strikes me as generally the opinion of those lacking the imagination or experience to ever have to suffer without all the comforts and convenience of modern developed urban life. On the other hand I can understand that people with OCD or other anxious tendencies could find it triggering for uncontrollable extreme and intrusive thoughts of all the multiple risks we could face. It's much easier and reassuring to feel like everything will be taken care of by the state.

In RL my approach and interest is practical, and from work and studies in the humanitarian/ development sector there's a wealth of resources, research and vital work being done in 'prepping' from the grassroots level right up to the UN- assessing risks and vulnerabilities, planning, mobilising resources and building up skills and resilience, it's kind of the name of the game.

On the other hand I'm happy to admit I enjoy zombie and post-apocalyptic fiction, drama and even video games- I would say more for the hypothetical examination of how societies breakdown and rebuild, the strategies for survivalism in an extreme fictional context. (TWD requires a lot of containing of frustration as the characters never seem to apply the many skills they learn over the series. No digging ditches, always only one thin wall of defence, no zombie camouflage..)

Anyway sorry this is long I felt like it was an interesting area for discussion- kind of the spectrum of attitudes on crisis preparation or self-sufficiency. Also the impact that attitudes of denial or passivity could have in the event of a crisis- the ebola crisis, and in a more long term sense, climate change, strike me as threats in which a failure of leadership and widespread denial have had a dangerous exacerbating effect.

Stratter5 Sun 08-Nov-15 13:45:01

Perhaps because the immediate assumption is of militant fantasists obsessed with a vision of complete societal breakdown or perhaps gullible/ anxious/ self-indulgent hoarders.

Think you nailed it there. People have a preformed opinion, and aren't open minded enough to actually stop and think about what's being said. Shame really, there's a lot of information here, and if anything does happen, they're the ones who will be causing problems for the rest of us sad

MotiSen Sun 08-Nov-15 14:27:14

Well said.

ThroughThickAndThin01 Sun 08-Nov-15 16:44:53

It seems that a bit of self sufficiency chat such as in The Good Life is acceptable; more serious prepping for more serious scenarios is ridiculed. Reading that thread anyway.

I'm astonished by the hostile reaction; if that's the reaction on a non threatening chat forum, not sure how it would unfold in a RL situation.

Agree Stratter5

Stratter5 Sun 08-Nov-15 17:06:45

Which thread is this, could you do a link please?

swisscheesetony Sun 08-Nov-15 19:00:17

I've just read that entire thread and am surprised by some of the attitudes. On the radio this morning they were talking about rights we have as UK citizens to "affordable mains water supply" - but does anyone remember that thread a few years ago about a lady who didn't have a mains water supply and was being deliberately (I think) cut off from the well?

There are many who seem to think it won't happen in the UK, the government will look after us, etc., etc. But I said just the other day I know someone in the UK who has been without mains electricity for 10 months. Of course they're coping - but with or without government mandate!

Where I live food was helicoptered in after 10 days because we were cut off... helicoptered in 50 miles from me (and a boat trip).

I do suffer from anxiety myself - but it's a whole lot fucking easier to deal with knowing I've got enough grub in for a few days. I don't have a lot of money either, so it's bloody great knowing I can eat for a bit - albeit perhaps dull fare.

I've had 70mph winds today and had a handful of powercuts last week... coal fire is burning strong and it's giving me hot water. Food in the cupboards. Battery booster for car (no jump leads required).

I am low on bog roll though. grin

ISpidersmanYouMeanPirate Sun 08-Nov-15 19:04:53

Will go check out that thread. I was just thinking today about starting a thread asking why people are so negative about preppers- it's not like we're affecting them!

ISpidersmanYouMeanPirate Sun 08-Nov-15 19:06:43

Oh and I my approach is rational and rather slow.

I've identified a number of scenarios and am gradually equipping myself with the necessary stuff for each one.

lighteningirl Sun 08-Nov-15 19:27:08

I've have been really shocked by the narrow minded bigotry. It's not as if the Preppers board is in your face i have to actively search for it. If you don't like it, hide it.

Zetetic Sun 08-Nov-15 19:42:42

Some of the people on that thread have been extremely rude. Long ago they would have been holding pitchforks, burning books and dunking suspected witches in rivers.

All I have is a bag in my car, extra food supplies, candles / torches for power cuts and some first aid stuff. What is their problem?

LadyMaryofDownt0n Sun 08-Nov-15 20:06:06

I'd love to tell them all (the hateful ones) to fuck clean of! Slaggy wankers confused

I got to the bit where we are all "thick" angry

Stratter5 Sun 08-Nov-15 20:15:40

And have MH problems apparently. Seriously, there's some great big grips needed, and it's not on here.

warmastoast Sun 08-Nov-15 20:24:45

Didn't mean for everyone to feel insulted by pointing out the aibu thread! Just thought the range of ideas on what prepping means to different people and their attitudes towards the concept was an interesting topic. The comments pointing to generation divides in attitudes was a point I hadn't really considered for example ie those growing up under rationing in ww2 era or under the threat of nuclear attack in the cold war era..

witsender Sun 08-Nov-15 20:25:06

Guns. I'd imagine most of them think we all have big fuck off guns. Admittedly we do have one

I'm not really prepped as such, and veer more towards the self sufficient, off grid approach than shed loads of tins approach. Not doing very well at it yet but we will get there!

winchester1 Sun 08-Nov-15 20:35:06

I try to stay off them as I fear in making us look bad (we have a well, guns, bunker etc) and I know I'll only add to the idea we are all crazy and prepping for the za.
I do find the attitudes funny though, even when I lived in a flat share in London I had a shovel and food for a.week in the cupboards, money permitting why wouldn't you?

And what's with the food bank comments, do people really think we leave food to rot rather than rotate and use it all. Why would we waste our money like that?

witsender Sun 08-Nov-15 20:38:44

I run the warehouse for our regional food bank. If the SHTF I know the location of a shite load of tins, and I rotate a mean sell by date. grin

warmastoast Sun 08-Nov-15 22:09:15

Two trolly new threads on Aibu mocking preppers with childish questions about eating cats and tinned brains.. I think it's a waste of energy responding to mean spirited nonsense but still welcome respectful dialogue/ debate from those who don't understand what this board is about.

Stratter5 Sun 08-Nov-15 23:03:12

Weird that it's totally fine for the OP to be all angst ridden, hand wringing over a bloody board that could be hidden with one swift action because she's got MH problems, yet we've all collectively got MH problems because we like to think ahead, yet we are fair game for some rather nasty cracks and abuse.

Seen a new side to a few posters I used to like. Won't be bothering with them again. And some posters should be ashamed of themselves. Very unMumsnetty behaviour.

Stratter5 Sun 08-Nov-15 23:05:17

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

ISpidersmanYouMeanPirate Mon 09-Nov-15 08:20:31

I've just read the first AIBU and couldn't resist posting.

I only posted about a totally normal scenario though (house fire = OFRS) so maybe that will get some people thinking.

But I'm not going to go back site on hands. I really can't understand why people are so bothered by other people's preps!

LadyMaryofDownt0n Mon 09-Nov-15 08:29:39

It gives them something to slag off. Their all itching to bitch about something and that's the easiest thing because no one say anything about it.

ThroughThickAndThin01 Mon 09-Nov-15 08:34:45

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

atticusclaw2 Mon 09-Nov-15 08:36:32

Oh is that cod. But the typing is fine?

Stratter5 Mon 09-Nov-15 11:54:40

Nah, the typing is varied on the other two threads. Lot of people thought it was put on anyway.

howtorebuild Mon 09-Nov-15 12:57:56

I do have concerns about not being able to get out for a few days due to bad weather or illness. I only have a few extra supplies to tide us over. I don't see the problem with prepping. confused

Thanks to this board I have ordered a windup solar powered radio, torch and mobile charger.

It's not as if we are all building bunkers with a wall of guns on display.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now