Talk

Advanced search

What and where would be your ideal prepper home?

(20 Posts)
hesterton Sat 07-Nov-15 16:35:00

What would you look out for and where would you search if you could live anywhere in the UK and had enough money for a medium sized home out of the SE?

Would you want as much isolation as possible, or to be within a small or medium community? Would you want land and if so, what would you want on it? In a valley or on a hill? By the sea or lake, river or brook? Wales or Scotland, North or West of England?

WhoTheFuckIsSimon Sat 07-Nov-15 16:44:17

I think isolation. Off the radar.

On a hill. Good running, fresh water supply, hopefully with fish in it.

Enough land to grow veg on, keep chickens.

hesterton Sat 07-Nov-15 17:18:22

I sometimes think you are more off the radar when you are amidst others. I'd like a cottage, veg garden, solid fuel aga, small hamlet in North of England, nearby brook and lots of woodland. Maybe my own nearby woodland!

Stratter5 Sat 07-Nov-15 17:20:27

I'm with Simon, we are planning our final move in a couple of years (when DD2 finishes her A levels). We are looking for a decent sized house, with outbuildings, in a rural hilly location. Want about 6-8 acres and a water source. The more isolated the better imo, and there will be fuck off fencing round it, thickly planted with blackthorn, and hedging that will give food as well as protection.

We will probably either stay round here, or possibly the higher parts of Norfolk. Not too near the sea, whichever we chose. I love being so near the sea atm, but I think it's more sensible to be further inland.

I'm thoroughly enjoying planning the place in my head smile

gamerchick Sat 07-Nov-15 17:27:56

I want one of these.

all-that-is-interesting.com/zombie-proof-house

Won't happen though. grin

If I had unlimited money I would want to buy a fishing or make a fishing village somewhere remote and install people who had a skill, whether it's living off the land, rearing animals, making things out of recyclables, fisherman etc... Who could make a life there doing what they do best leaving the world behind...Install wind or solar and have a bit of a fence around it. Until the end of the word happened I would market it as a retreat where you learn to bring in an income.

Pipe dream but nice thinking of it.

swisscheesetony Sat 07-Nov-15 17:33:40

Tbh where I live dings all the bells all of you describe.

witsender Sat 07-Nov-15 22:03:13

We are quite lucky I think, we are on the edge of a small village, in a rural spot on an Island. We have a big enough garden to grow in, a few sheds for storage and a well that we really need to open as it has been covered etc and we don't know to what extent. We would really like to buy a nearby field and copse, but the (lovely) owner is resistant. grin I need to get more on top of the growing, and actually start prepping supplies a little. We are toying with renting the place out for a few years and going sailing, but would always keep this place as it is inadvertantly perfect for us.

I do think community and community resilience is important, drawing on each others' skills etc. In that respect we are lucky again, our neighbours are great, resourceful people with a lot of local knowledge.

I would love a cellar though.

gamerchick Sat 07-Nov-15 22:20:35

Sounds lovely swiss it's one of my dream places.

I admit I would love a cellar.

Stratter5 Sun 08-Nov-15 00:43:35

I'm in gamer smile

gamerchick Sun 08-Nov-15 00:47:14

You're on! grin

HicDraconis Sun 08-Nov-15 06:14:53

The one I live in smile close to the sea for fish, decent vege garden, fruit trees and chickens, lots of storage, rainwater tanks, easily isolated from the road (narrow steep driveway down which could be gated easily).

lighteningirl Sun 08-Nov-15 09:11:36

I would love a cellar and a nearby fishing lake sounds good

hesterton Sun 08-Nov-15 09:59:17

An orchard would be good. And some goats. And chooks (Happy smile)

witsender Sun 08-Nov-15 10:09:48

We have chooks,need a few more though really. Next door to us is a kind of smallholding, grows all manner of fruit though the chap doesn't live there. He gives us sacks and sacks of apples every year which we store. He also owns the field next to it which runs down to a very coppiceable copse. We really want to buy it! But will be content with good relations for now. Our garden is big enough for a couple of goats or pigs one day perhaps. We also have a caravan that is 'off grid' (poncey way of saying it has a solar panel so doesn't need hook up) and share a yacht with my parents, so have access to other places too.

I think mindset is hugely important. I try to think of ways to minimise our reliance on and use of electricity from example, collect all the rainwater we can etc.

hesterton Sun 08-Nov-15 10:28:40

It sounds wonderful.

cozietoesie Sun 08-Nov-15 12:45:10

The places I would choose have mostly already been bagsied and in some cases (eg the old Abbeys and monasteries) are actually historic monuments. Those people knew a decent spot backaways - fishing, water, wood and decentish ground for vegetable and corns - with a reasonable prospect of defence or evacuation.

Stratter5 Sun 08-Nov-15 13:39:50

Ah see, I would go for the exact opposite - the Grey Man of homes. Something totally not out of the extraordinary and memorable, you want somewhere that doesn't attract attention, and isn't likely to be remembered by anyone. Somewhere you can lie low, and get on with life, without having to worry that someone else wants it for themselves

ItsAllGoingToBeFine Sun 08-Nov-15 13:43:23

I'd like to live on a remote Scottish island with a small community which as a whole is pretty self sufficient in food and essential skills. It would be really lonely to be entirely isolated, and as someone already said it'd be useful to be in a communuty with lots of skills.

cozietoesie Sun 08-Nov-15 13:52:43

I've already identified mine. smile It has the advantage of being fairly low profile but still manageable. (And having no settled inhabitants is a plus.)

swisscheesetony Sun 08-Nov-15 17:00:42

Itsallgoingtobefine It's not lonely or isolated at all. smile IMO you're more likely to feel that way in a city.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now