Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Prepping for non-payment/severe cutting of benefits

(8 Posts)
iamaboveandBeyond Mon 02-Nov-15 13:21:35

Thought this one might come in handy, if there is anything you can squirrel away to resist the food banks for as long as possible?

I'm also wondering what differences this would have to the general shtf prepping?

megletthesecond Mon 02-Nov-15 13:25:36

It's always on my mind too. I'm getting a much bigger freezer soon (gift) and I'll go silly batch cooking and filling it up.

ThroughThickAndThin01 Mon 02-Nov-15 13:26:22

I suppose general shtf scenarios include things like no water, no electricity, no heating, and ways to work round them.

A financial reason to stockpile could mean stocking up on things when they are particularly cheap or on sale.

winchester1 Mon 02-Nov-15 18:47:20

Its fairly similar for us as we have a fairly self sufficient home (except elec) most of what I'm doing is stocking up on food and saving money.
Living on what you will have after the cuts and saving and extras is good as you get use to it and have a cushion of food/cash for later emergencies. I don't know how realistic the is with the planned cuts though.

FuckTheseSixFishInParticular Mon 02-Nov-15 23:33:39

Tins of food. Bloody loads of them, and they keep for several years +! Also you can usually get then in poundland, lots of £1 and 99p shops or just on offer at a big supermarket. Make sure you buy stuff you would actually eat though.

I suppose a lot of it depends on what you think you're likely to need in case of non payment/benefits cut. I guess the best thing of all would probably be a good savings account, so that you have financial reserves to tide you over for a period of time, but how long would have to be up to you (1 month? 6 months?).

UterusUterusGhali Mon 02-Nov-15 23:49:41

I've tried to overpay everything.
I've had claw-back and non payment which has left me utterly fucked tbh.
I ate a lot of chick-pea and tinned tomato stew.

FriendofBill Tue 03-Nov-15 00:04:10

May have been done to death but I changed my energy supplier and have saved £300 pa.
I did it as part of the 38 degrees 'big energy switch' campaign.

I thought about switching to PAYG mobile phone...

I did a very budget Christmas last year, and it was honestly no different, except I didn't feel like shit for overspending. I set a limit of £50 per child, and bought a regular amount of food, just normal roast on the day.

TheTigerIsOut Tue 03-Nov-15 00:24:10

Go to entitledto.co.uk to get an idea of how badly you will be affected. Then try to start living with the amount you will have after the changes and save the rest.

If you are not already doing so, menu planning can save you a fortune as there will be hardly any food left to go in the bin. Invest in some good spill free tupperware as leftovers can be recycled as packed lunches for subsequent days.

Keep applying for better paid jobs if possible?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now