Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Where do you source your supplies?

(19 Posts)
howtorebuild Mon 02-Nov-15 11:05:09

I am talking from tins of beans to solar panels and home.

PomBearWithAnOFRS Mon 02-Nov-15 12:17:23

Anywhere and everywhere grin
You would be amazed what you can find randomly in places like the Poundshop, B&M, Home Bargains, and Amazon and eBay are positive treasure troves of "thingies" that you don't realise you need until you see them!

winchester1 Tue 03-Nov-15 18:38:49

Food is just our normal stuff just buy the odd extra bits in offer as and when.

Amazon, local hunting and fishing shops, pound shops, mostly for other things.

What are you looking for?

Stratter5 Wed 04-Nov-15 18:43:08

Lidl is fantastically cheap for tinned goods, and stuff like pasta. Other than that, I just pick up stuff when I see it.

atticusclaw2 Thu 05-Nov-15 10:03:31

Ive bought a couple of bits from EvaQ8 but manage to sneak most things into the house when doing an amazon order for other things.

Food is just from the supermarket, every week i buy a bit extra.

Jackie0 Thu 05-Nov-15 10:11:52

So prepping is stockpiling long life food really?
I always have lots of tinned and dried goods because I feel happy knowing there is always food in the cupboard.
I have lots of first aid supplies because of my job.
What else are people buying ?
Sorry don't want to derail.
In answer to your post , bulk food in lidl , first aid Amazon .

atticusclaw2 Thu 05-Nov-15 10:17:15

I think most of us are fairly amateur jackie and yes we just have the things we'd need of we had to cope at home on our own for while, potentially without things such as power and water.

So food, water and means of purifying water, candles, essential meds etc. Think of anything that might be handy if you were camping in the wilderness for two weeks.

We have oil lamps (and oil), plenty of wood for the burner, fire starters and matches, lots of batteries and chargers, solar radio, wind up torches, mylar blankets etc.

Jackie0 Thu 05-Nov-15 10:20:33

Those are brilliant ideas.

howtorebuild Thu 05-Nov-15 13:43:10

I really need a wood burning stove.

atticusclaw2 Thu 05-Nov-15 13:51:29

A wood burner would be the saving grace for lots of people in the event that we ever had power issues during the winter. Heat and a means of cooking.

When we had a lengthy power cut last winter it was quite good fun. We had the wood burner going for heat, hot drinks and hot food (whole area was affected so no local takeaways open!), the oil lamps on and we played scrabble whilst listening to the radio. Our house is heated entirely by wood and so we have a 3 year supply of logs. We'd also has warning of the storms and so I'd chucked a joint of meat in the oven beforehand and whacked up the freezer.

winchester1 Fri 06-Nov-15 06:18:36

Would it be feasible to use the bbq for those without wood burners? So worthwhile having some extra fuel in the shed

hesterton Fri 06-Nov-15 06:34:01

I would think a bbq and charcoal would be a really useful substitute. Someone linked to a fabulous dinky camping stove which ran on twigs etc. That looked great!

Stratter5 Fri 06-Nov-15 10:27:47

Only outside, never use a BBQ (or similar) inside, fast track to CO poisoning

Stratter5 Fri 06-Nov-15 10:29:06

There's some v good posts on Pinterest on how to make a tiny heater from a tealight and terracotta pots. We had a go a couple of weeks ago, and they really do throw out far more heat than you'd think.

winchester1 Fri 06-Nov-15 17:50:51

Is it simular to those pbes where you put cardbpard and melyes wax on an old food tin? They look good for both heat and light.

Stratter5 Fri 06-Nov-15 21:28:40

No, it's the tealight and flowerpots one, here

I have an OFRS board on Pinterest, if anyone is interested. And self sustainability in my Farm board - DH and I are planning to be as self sufficient as possible next house move.

howtorebuild Sun 08-Nov-15 13:27:55

Where are you sourcing things like off grid solar power panels and batteries, to charge mobiles etc, during a power cut?

Stratter5 Sun 08-Nov-15 13:50:08

I've got the How To Rebuild book, v v useful. Plus the big self sufficiency book by John Seymour.

howtorebuild Sun 08-Nov-15 14:54:51

grin
www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00MTV5FYE?refRID=5KQC4AYYGX6MYE7Q8YZA&ref_=pd_rhf_sc_p_img_3.
I ordered this, windup, solar powered, radio, torch with usb charger for mobiles.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now