Talk

Advanced search

Which habits would be hardest for you to break in the event of Troubles?

(11 Posts)
cozietoesie Sat 31-Oct-15 09:13:42

I'm thinking pretty basic stuff for myself - I used to live in an area which was subject to frequent power outages and I would often find myself wandering around the house with a candle and automatically putting my hand out to flip the electric light switch as I entered a room. Daft in the middle of a power cut, I know, but I couldn't break myself of the habit.

I'm sure there are others that weren't so immediately apparent though.

Stratter5 Sat 31-Oct-15 10:05:26

Light switches and letting the water run until it's freezing cold. Clean clothes and bedlinen.

iamaboveandBeyond Sat 31-Oct-15 14:35:43

I think, along the same lines as the light switch, mine would be looking in the fridge when i'm bored grin

cozietoesie Sat 31-Oct-15 16:47:44

It shows how people are bonded to electric power these days. I just hope everyone has worked out a strategy for dealing with youngsters when their phones run out of charge. (I don't think the ones in our family could actually comprehend a disaster of such magnitude; at least I would be given only indulgent grimaces if I were to mention such an eventuality. grin)

winchester1 Sat 31-Oct-15 17:34:44

Mine dc are too little to care much about phones, tv etc so if its going to happen id like it to happen now before they are teens glued to Xboxes. grin

Seriously though would you have time to be bored living self sufficiently? I feel pretty pushed for time just playing at it, planting a few things, and having power tools for jobs like felling trees and cutting and splitting wood etc. Doing all that by hand and body power would be pretty full on.

winchester1 Sat 31-Oct-15 17:37:56

Oh I forgot my habit!

Tea drinking - I guess id run out so would need to limit myself to make it last!

MrsTerryPratchett Sat 31-Oct-15 18:10:24

Wandering around with my phone, randomly flipping through news and post.

I will have to stockpile tea now, thanks winchester

I think how much time you have depends on where you live. Hunter-gatherers do less hours 'work' than we do. But they tend to live where the land can support them...

winchester1 Sat 31-Oct-15 19:07:25

We are in a cold climate so lots of wood to prepare and food to grow and gather.

OhtoblazeswithElvira Sat 31-Oct-15 21:37:07

Mumsnetting, surely? grin

cozietoesie Sat 31-Oct-15 23:28:36

Shhhh! wink

I'm already savouring in anticipation the moment when I advise the youngsters to look something up in/read a B.O.O.K. (By candlelight.)

KatherineMumsnet (MNHQ) Mon 02-Nov-15 11:35:32

We are moving this over to our brand new Preppers topic in a mo grin <rubs hands>

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now