Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Topic Takeover - BBC article and film segment on British Preppers

(15 Posts)
FuckTheseSixFishInParticular Tue 27-Oct-15 18:47:56

In case you hadn't already seen it, the BBC has done an article in the news magazine about British preppers, and the Victoria Derbyshire show did a segment on them this morning.

The article is here, and the video is here.

I thought the article was pretty good, haven't had a chance to see the videos but part of it is talking to a guy who says he runs the only preppers store in Europe and thinks the confederate flag is a positive symbol, so my hopes aren't particularly high for it. hmm

winchester1 Tue 27-Oct-15 20:17:21

Cant watch the video as I'm not in the UK bit the article couldn't be further than where I consider myself. I like to be prepared for likely events such as a weeks adverse weather and power cuts or a house fire but we absolutely offered help to local vulnerable people during power cuts.

atticusclaw2 Tue 27-Oct-15 21:43:11

I thought the flag thing was annoying. Like they threw that in there just to put off anyone who might have been thinking "hmm maybe I'll chuck a few tins of beans into the trolly."

winchester1 Wed 28-Oct-15 20:00:46

I think there can ba a lot of emphasis with preppin that you must be prepared for total world breakdown rather than the more sensible likley senarios for your life and location. That in itself must put off a lot of people from getting involved.

I'd like a real UK prepping programme - likley problems (floods, 3cm of snow smile etc), timescales for help to arrive (3dys to a week?), what you should have and know how to do to be OK. More like the National trust list for kids than a scary ' you must have 20 guns and 10 yrs worth of dried food and water (not dried water!)' which is just unobtainable to most.

LadyMaryofDownt0n Wed 28-Oct-15 20:12:37

Watched this earlier I though it was ok. The flag thing was a huge no for me, for so many reasons!

atticusclaw2 Wed 28-Oct-15 20:19:53

I have loads and loads of dried water grin

FuckTheseSixFishInParticular Wed 28-Oct-15 23:52:42

I'm considering starting a 'Lazy Prepper' blog, since I have no military training, basic fist aid and frankly quite like living in a civilised manner. Any one interested?

Stratter5 Thu 29-Oct-15 15:49:30

Yep, I'll bite smile

FuckTheseSixFishInParticular Thu 29-Oct-15 17:43:33

lol, should be 'first aid', obv. blush

I think 'Fist' aid comes under military training!

Stratter5 Thu 29-Oct-15 18:19:40

grin

KatherineMumsnet (MNHQ) Mon 02-Nov-15 11:01:55

We are moving this over to our brand new Preppers topic in a mo grin <rubs hands>

Zetetic Mon 02-Nov-15 12:16:22

You could put every spare penny you have in the bank for a rainy day, that's prepping. You could pay your mortgage off 10 years early. Whatever you decide you need to do to prepare for the future, that makes you a prepper.

This man sums it up really well.

winchester1 Tue 03-Nov-15 12:54:29

I bet a lot of us on here do those things as well.
Saving for retirement, mortgages over paid on etc.

warmastoast Sun 08-Nov-15 14:16:48

Speaking of British prepping: www.youtube.com/watch?v=m6U9T3R3EQg

Has anyone seen this UK public information broadcast on household preparation for a nuclear attack. The delivery of wholly inadequate solutions in this measured BBC accent makes it even scarier. Advice about food storage for the two weeks bugging in you would have to do after the blast due to nuclear fall out. "By the way don't forget your tin opener.." sad

Stratter5 Sun 08-Nov-15 14:19:10

Is that the old 80's one? I remember all the scary shit from that era sad

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now