Talk

Advanced search

Topic Takeover - what food do you stock?

(29 Posts)
ISpidersmanYouMeanPirate Tue 27-Oct-15 10:23:00

We generally have fairly full food cupboards, because we do a big supermarket shop once every 3-4 weeks, then stock up on fresh food at the market every week.

We usually have the following store cupboard food:
Pasta, rice
Tinned tomatoes
Baked beans (though I'm the only one who likes them!)
Crisps
Biscuits
Sugar, flour, icing sugar, corn flour
Marmite
Jam
Dried stuffing
Cereals
Pasta sauce
Balti curry sauce

I'm wondering what else we could get? Most of our meals are mainly fresh meat and veg with pasta or rice. But if there's an Event which stops us getting fresh food we're going to get pretty bored of our food! (don't have a huge freezer either)

I've bought a couple of tins of peas and ravioli (which makes DH hmm cos we don't eat them generally). The only tinned fruit I like is prunes and they don't sell them here sad

winchester1 Tue 27-Oct-15 20:11:17

Mixed beans or kidney beans, or tofu could be good if your missing meat.
Dried fruit? Raisins, apricots etc
Yeast for bread baking
Cous cous, noodles, Bulger don't need much energy to cook.
Bleach can be used to purify water at a push if you don't want to buy filters or tablets

Depends what your set up is really and what you are prepping for.

Do you have a means of cooking that is off grid? Access to water/stored water?

atticusclaw2 Tue 27-Oct-15 21:59:12

We have:

rice
pasta
cous cous
pearl barley
flour - plan and SR
Yeast
crackers
part baked bread
biscuits
chocolate
tinned tomatoes
passata
soup
beans
tinned vegetables
tinned fruit
tinned meat - chicken and corned beef mainly since I know these will get eaten
tinned ravioli
tinned pies - not great but cheap
long life ready meals - just supermarket ones not expensive mountain house stuff - we have bolognese, curry, meatballs and beef stew I think. They're not bad.
pasta sauces
curry sauces
stir fry sauces
tagine paste
base mixes in jars
pesto
spices
salt (lots)
vinegar
tomato sauce
sugar
honey
jam
marmite
marmalade
tinned rice
tinned custard
tinned fruit
cereal
tinned potatoes
ratatouille
evaporated milk
powdered milk
long life milk
condensed milk
tinned butter
ghee
vegetable oil
olive oil
tea
coffee
hot chocolate
worcester sauce
lemon juice
sweets
dried fruit
dried vegetables - onions, carrots, aubergine, mushrooms, peppers, tomatoes, butternut squash, potatoes and others (I have a dehydrater)
fruit juice
soft drinks
water
vitamins

The key is to store what you will eat. I'd rather not eat tinned pies, meat, ravioli etc but would if I had to and so they will probably go to waste once they're past their sell by date but they're not expensive so it isn't the end of the world.

atticusclaw2 Tue 27-Oct-15 21:59:54

Oh forgot the noodles. Yes they're very cheap and so we have LOTS of noodles.

Eminado Tue 27-Oct-15 22:01:17

I dont understand why this is under "Ebola"?

atticusclaw2 Tue 27-Oct-15 22:03:44

Sorry Eminado, MNHQ won't give us our own topic because they think were nutters and so we've taken over Ebola which seemed to be going spare.

atticusclaw2 Tue 27-Oct-15 22:04:33

Oh I forgot tinned sponge puddings. I love a good 1970s tinned pudding!

gamerchick Tue 27-Oct-15 22:12:30

I can't be arsed to list as I have a zombie cupboard and a secret zombie cupboard but... grin

Tins of anything and everything, especially meal in a can type of stuff. Always check the can for dints and whatnot. If they're fine most of them will last long after expired date. I get catering tins of all sorts and just store them.
Powdered milk and tubs of salt.
Jars of soup keep their taste and last years as long as the seals intact. Tins of soup are fine for a long time past sell by date but th taste goes somewhat. Just rotate every year if it bothers.
Water purification tablets and high calorie 'lost at sea' biscuit rations if you need to get on the move type of thing.
Various pastas and rice.
Tinned potatoes and dried camping meals you add water too.
Honey which is good for wounds as well as the obvious.
Sharp big knives that can be hung on the wall to protect your shit from hungry none preppers.

I'm stopping there before I look like a total loon grin

atticusclaw2 Tue 27-Oct-15 22:15:32

I also forgot gravy powder and stock cubes

winchester1 Tue 27-Oct-15 22:30:00

Oh condensed milk is good too.

winchester1 Tue 27-Oct-15 22:30:36

Posted to soon

You water it down to use as normal milk.

ThomasRichard Tue 27-Oct-15 22:34:19

At the moment... Lots of pasta and rice, tinned tomatoes, curry sauces, baked beans, spaghetti hoops and water.

I'm building it up slowly, focussing on water atm.

ISpidersmanYouMeanPirate Wed 28-Oct-15 05:58:12

We have stored water and access to a river (and purification tablets!) but no cooking power if the electricity fails.

MrsTerryPratchett Wed 28-Oct-15 15:58:45

If we have an event and no access to fuel I can finally chop down the irritating tree next door. There are some benefits to this Apocalypse malarkey.

gamerchick Wed 28-Oct-15 16:07:12

Well there is a plethora of groovy camping equipment these days if you have no way of cooking. You could get inventive if you had to.

LadyMaryofDownt0n Wed 28-Oct-15 20:19:43

At the min I've tins of every fruit & veg I could get, loads of pasta, flour, stock, cubes, soups, loads of spices, tea & coffee.

Lots if water
Portable gas stove

I like to think I could survive a month or two with what we have.

atticusclaw2 Wed 28-Oct-15 20:33:02

<beckons lady mary over to the thread on site stuff>

ISpidersmanYouMeanPirate Wed 28-Oct-15 20:46:51

I have looked at camping stoves but for some reason feel silly buying one as we will never ever go camping confused

LadyMaryofDownt0n Wed 28-Oct-15 21:04:42

Atticus I can't find it blush could u link it please, am on my phone!

gamerchick Wed 28-Oct-15 21:44:41

Noo a camping stove can be stored, I've just got a little single burner and gas canister. It probably wouldn't do a day or 2 but it's there. And a camping kettle which are cheap. I asked the husband for a camping toilet for Christmas but he gave me the sliding eyes grin I also want one of those generators you use the car to charge up. None noisy only take one or two plug jobs.

I would love a proper generator but they're noisy and people will take from you if they're desperate enough.

At least if you ever decide Togo camping you'll be prepared wink there's even camping things to make toast I saw in passing b&m.

Stratter5 Thu 29-Oct-15 16:12:11

Tinned stuff, stored correctly (no extremes of heat, garage not necessarily the best place), lasts forever.

winchester1 Thu 29-Oct-15 22:59:46

I was thinking that, those mountain meals in a tin that last 25yrs - surley that´would be the same for any tinned meal if you store it correctly.

I think all the prepper food is a bit of a con tbh you could live on normal stuff fine for a fraction of the cost and you can eat it normally anyway.

Stratter5 Thu 29-Oct-15 23:07:56

Totally agree, big con. World isn't going to actually end, we just need to be sensible and make sure we have provisions.

cozietoesie Fri 30-Oct-15 09:55:24

Baked beans, whisky and candles.

(I know candles aren't food but don't forget them. Many people have a few scented things lying around but a good stock of candles - which don't generally 'go off' and are pretty cheap - is fairly critical if there's any sort of problem. And shops these days don't seem to have many in stock.)

ISpidersmanYouMeanPirate Fri 30-Oct-15 10:05:56

Lol at camping toilet!

A side-issue is that whilst DH happily stores food that we eat, he is a bit eye-rolly at buying food we don't normally eat, like tinned fruit and veg. And he does the food shopping...

I did once have 16 tins of baked beans in the cupboard and he teased me mercilessly because I'm the only person who eats them! grin But I had gone a bit mad because they're hard to get hold of in France and Marks & Spencers had just opened a shop near us....

There is no way that DH will EVER go camping so if I did buy a stove I'd have to hide it.

I might wait until we move to a bigger flat...our cupboards are all bursting as it is anyway (and that's after I've done a lot of decluttering!)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now