Talk

Advanced search

I've been offered the chance to take part in a trial to try to avoid premature birth

(4 Posts)
pophas2beans Tue 05-Aug-08 15:56:27

Hi ladies- I figure that you are all the best people for me to speak to regarding this.

I'm currently 14 weeks pregnant with identical twins. My hospital have asked me if I would like to take part in a trial where I may get the chance to have a silicon cap fitted around my cervix. see here

I may end up in the 50% that don't get this but just medical management. I'm not really sure what to do. I figure that if I do get the chance to have the silicon implant then it can either work or not work and no harm will be done by trying.

What do you think?

Bronze Tue 05-Aug-08 15:58:37

I know you are having twins so the odds are higher but are you prone to prems. Was your first dc a prem?

pophas2beans Tue 05-Aug-08 16:17:47

no - she was term

lou031205 Tue 05-Aug-08 16:34:32

I personally would go for it - even if you were allocated to the control group, you would benefit from the cervical length monitoring, and there do not seem to be any drawbacks that I can see. It could benefit women in the future, also.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now