Talk

Advanced search

Bonding squares

(7 Posts)
MedicalMystery1 Tue 15-Jan-19 21:10:44

Hello,

Posted in chat but thought I would try here too...

Looking for a little help.

I’ve recently taking up sewing as a hobby and have been making ‘bonding squares’ to donate to NICU.

Bonding squares are used by mums whose babies are in a neonatal unit. Each mum is given two squares, one is kept with baby & one is kept on mums body, every 12 hours they are swapped.... They help mum & baby to bond by smell in cases where they can't physically touch.

I have emailed my local NICU to find out if they would like them but haven’t heard back.

If you had a premature baby did your hospital have them?/ If you work in NICU does your hospital accept them?

After making them it appears they are more common in US and not the U.K. sad Any help much appreciated.

carryingoncarryingon Tue 15-Jan-19 21:47:31

I'm a nicu nurse and I've been in a larger and a smaller unit and yes we accept them :-)

MedicalMystery1 Tue 15-Jan-19 22:29:30

Thank you carryingoncarryingin I will continue to make them smile

GroundhogWeek Wed 16-Jan-19 07:32:02

They’ve had them in NICU for both of my preemies. They use knitted ones though.

MyGuideJools Wed 23-Jan-19 20:46:46

I'm a nicu nurse and we use them. Our current ones are made from Muslin squares and seem really popular.
Well done, keep sewing!

user1493413286 Fri 01-Feb-19 17:40:51

We had muslin squares for our DD; it really helped me psychologically to feel connected when I wasn’t with her and hopefully helped our bonding too.

Laalmiss3 Sun 03-Feb-19 00:02:23

We had blankets which were made by a local charity. We were given a choice of blankets we wanted our baby to use and I feel it did help us bond x

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »