Advanced search

Necrotizing enterocolitis in premature baby

(9 Posts)
princessbala Tue 01-Jan-19 19:09:55

Has anyone had experience with this? Please any response will help! Please

rebelrebel3 Tue 01-Jan-19 20:24:07

Hi OP, my daughter had this.

rebelrebel3 Tue 01-Jan-19 20:25:16

Sorry posted too soon. Was going to ask your situation?

princessbala Tue 01-Jan-19 21:03:09

It's actually my nephew, he was born at 32.6 weeks and was 3.13lbs... he was iugr as my sil has diabetics and her placenta stopped working...
He has been gurgling and bubbling saliva at the mouth pretty constantly, they have also found green stuff in his stomach, He's being transferred to brighton hospital as the one he's in now is frankly rubbish! And they don't have the correct antibiotics that he needs, but it's been hours since he was supposed to go to brighton so he's been without treatment...

I know I'm not his mum, but I'm so so worried and I really appreciate your help xx

nocoolnamesleft Tue 01-Jan-19 21:49:24

Okay, breathe. From what you say, it may not actually be NEC, but if he's at a little unit makes sense to transfer to a bigger place.

NEC is something that can happen in preterm babies, and is more common if they have IUGR. Roughly, the theory goes that if the baby isn't getting enough supply of oxygen/nutrients, because the placenta is failing, then the body concentrates on supplying the vital bits like the brain, so less important bits like the gut can take a hit. When IUGR premmies are born, knowing that this is a risk, usually feeding is started very slowly, to avoid upsetting the gut, with a drip to provide the rest. Where possible, breast milk is used as this is gentler on the gut - your SIL may well be expressing. When first trying to get feeding going it can be very stop-start-stop. Before each tiny feed they'll check what's left in the tummy. If the last feed is still there, they usually won't give more. If it's tinged green (the natural colour of stuff in the gut a bit past the stomach), they won't feed, and will rest the tummy. Most of the time the green settles as the gut gets used to doing its thing. But sometimes it can be an early sign of NEC. And because of that, small units tend to send babies to big units as soon as the green isn't settling, even though lots of them will be fine, because for the few who do have NEC it's better to be safely transferred.

In NEC, basically long stretches of the gut don't work right. They get sore/inflamed. This can make the gut walls become leaky. Which is why the antibiotics, as that way any bugs leaking out can be killed off. The most important treatment is to stop feeding, as that gives the gut a rest. Usually the feeds would be stopped for at least a few days, which means that just a drip might not be enough. There are special sorts of medical nutrition that can be given IV, but these may not be available at the smaller units. It's not unusual for the need for that type of feed to be a reason for transfer. Sometimes NEC can be more serious, needing surgery. But not usually.

Hope that makes sense. Oh, and it terms of transfers...in a daft sort of way it's good. If the transfer had happened really fast, that would imply they were really worried about the baby. Being a lower priority transfer implies that they're less worried.

princessbala Tue 01-Jan-19 21:59:51

Thankyou so much, that has put me at ease a bit more, he should be at Brighton now so he will be getting the treatment he needs.

I did think that about the transfer aswell, but where I was panicking I think I couldn't see that side to it, I was speaking to my brother and trying to stay positive and encouraging and supportive for them, and being a mum myself I can't even imagine what they're going though

Thankyou so much for your reply xx

rebelrebel3 Tue 01-Jan-19 23:45:22

Hi OP, sorry to hear this difficult situation and hope it settles soon. In the hopefully unlikely event it is NEC, i can tell you my daughter had this, was in intensive care 2 months and is now a gorgeous, healthy nearly 16 yr old! I know it's a serious condition but wanted to share a positive story. Hopefully you won't need to know this!

olympicsrock Tue 01-Jan-19 23:52:09

Good luck OP - thinking of you - and thanks to nocool names who just helped me with my exam revision! mumsnet can be brilliant😀

Starsandthemoonx Mon 28-Jan-19 21:26:10

Hi! sorry to hear about your little nephew both my kids developed nec, both my kids were born at 31 weeks. My son developed it when he was about 3 weeks old and my daughter when she was about 5 weeks old. both came off their milk and got anti biotics and slowly weaned with the milk again after few weeks they were back to normal! try not look everything up like I done it can be very overwhelming and scary however I think if treated early the outcome is better hope all goes wellxx

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »