Advanced search

Chances of a second prem baby

(9 Posts)
Firsttimer1234 Fri 21-Sep-18 15:25:36

Hi everyone.
I had my little boy at 34 weeks, went to hospital with suspected braxton hicks and was fuming with my husband for making me go. Turned out I was 10cm dilated and my little one popped out 30 mins later. Luckily, he was fine. A good weight, 5lb, fed well, slight bit of jaundice but otherwise really healthy and we were home within a week. He's now a completely amazing and healthy boy. A reason was never discovered as to why I had him early. I was 26, healthy, had a really easy pregamcy. If I was to have a second child, what are my chances of a prem baby? I'm aware that if he had been just a few days earlier he would have been on neonatal care and that makes me feel sad. Also, I presume I would be consultant led for my next pregancy, what is the difference between midwife and consultant? Apart from the obvious. Thank you

nervousFTM Mon 08-Oct-18 10:47:12

Interested as I had my girl at 34+6 weighing 5lbs 6oz. She's doing very well and had gone almost up to 6lbs at 2.5 weeks (she's almost 3.5 weeks now). She had ABs for lungs and was monitored for blood sugar for 3 days plus spent time undergoing phototherapy but is otherwise perfect.

We also never got a reason for her early arrival. We had thought we would only have the one child and because of baby's prematurity I think I'm even more convinced we won't try again. I'm a lot older than you though (38).

How is your little man doing? How old is he now?

minipie Wed 07-Nov-18 00:19:49

DD1 was a 34 weeker too and still no idea why (no sign of cervix problem, infection etc). DD2 arrived at 36+6.

HexagonalBattenburg Tue 27-Nov-18 11:09:40

DD1 was a late 33 weeker. DD2 I started having niggling pains at exactly the same point in time and because of my previous history they gave me drugs to try to hold things off and get steroids in - and she finally arrived at early 36 weeks.

I have concluded I have a dodgy oven timer where babies are concerned.

BumboBaggins Wed 23-Jan-19 06:27:26

Sorry if this is an old thread...

My DD born 35 weeks, 5lbs 5oz. I believe this was due to a single lletz cervical procedure I had 10 years ago (even though one procedure is not meant to affect you in this regard). I think it must have left me with a slightly weak (but not incompetent) cervix.

Was not consultant led or referred to pre term birth unit for second DC as not prem enough! But was warned highly likely to happen again and greatest indicator of prem birth is a previous prem birth.

DS born 37 weeks. I knew he’d be early again but luckily not as early as DD!

Bumpandus Mon 25-Mar-19 20:33:59

I had a 32 wheeler and then a 31 weeker so you could do but there are plenty of people who go on to have full term babies

Sleepycat91 Mon 29-Apr-19 07:43:29

I bled at 6 weeks with my son and was told i have a bicornuate uterus. You can see it on my 12 week scan and how squashed he is on my 20 week scan. I went into back labour at 33 weeks and had to be induced but managed to hang on to 34 weeks. We did a day short of 2 weeks in nicu and hes a whopper now at 5yo. Im 4+5 with second and already panicky about another preemie

Farmmama Thu 16-May-19 18:52:01

I had a 33+2 last year and am now 22 weeks pregnant with number 2. No reason given at the time But because of prem birth I’ve been consultant led and looking back through my notes i had high white blood cells so it looks like I had an infection. They measured my cervix over 3 weeks and that looks fine. No other reason to suggest prem birth and because everything looks normal I’ve now been signed off from the consultant, which is worrying me. I thought they were going to keep a close eye on me?! Been told to keep up aspirin every day which she prescribed early on, otherwise I’m to carry on with just midwife led care.

If there’s anything at all that I’m uncomfy about I’m going straight to the hospital to get checked out! Really don’t want another prem birth, but I guess watch this space!

Harri07 Tue 03-Dec-19 01:52:58

Hi I pprom with my 6th at 18weeks I kept it to my self an never told a sole, silly i now but at first i never thought any think of it . I was very lucky and got to 33 weeks and gave birth while on a haven holiday site in wales in may 18 .
Then in December 18 i went for a cervical cancer tests to find out in fact i was 15 weeks pregnant with baby number 7 , the shock just smacked me straight in the face .
So we carried on to have the baby and deal the cards that where delt, not thinking it would happen again I just carried on then boom 18weks it happened again but this time I couldn't keep it to my self as it was worst then the first time it happened , then once I got to see my midwife at 22+3 she sent me straight to hospital to get checked out , that's when I got by old I need to stay in and start antibiotics straight way after 48 hours I discharged my self as I had 6 other children at home that need me plus my partner was self employed so I could stay ( else the Bill's eoulfnt get payed ) so of home I went .
Then bang on my 24 weeks the contractions started and they weren't stopping for toffee . After making the 999 call I got to hospital and gave birth to a very tiny lifeless baby boy that weighed 1lbs 14oz , it tuck a team of 15 nurse, consultants nicu staff half an hour to bring him round then he got rushed straight off to nicu its wasnt till 3am I got to see my son . He was so tiny , skin was see though . We got told every day to prepare our selfs for the worse and he even had to sleep with shock paddles on him to bring him back if needed . His phosphate levels where 8.8 and if they each 9 he go in to Cadillac arrest hence the paddles. We had 125days of what only I can decried as a real live nightmare.
My Miracle baby boy came home on the 24th of july 19 and was born march 19 he did 9 weeks in liverpool womens hospital to after a two week stint in stoke royal hospital where he was born. With out the amazing team in liverpool my son would never of made it home . Hes doing really well .
Hes ng pump feed as his chambers dont close and could drown if he was a bottle . Hes got 4/5 stage rop so hes classed as blind at the moment but hope surgery can fix this . He also failed 3 hearing test but were told this could also change too . The meds are unreal we have to give him but that a small price to pay and hes got metabolic bone disease also but this will be long term. Like I say this is a small price to pay AS MY MIRACLE BABY BOY BEAT THE ODDS AND IS HOME ALIVE AND WELL .

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »