Talk

Advanced search

Do you get extra maternity leave?

(10 Posts)
Windinthewillows1 Thu 08-Feb-18 16:10:23

I can’t go into details because I will cry but I’ve had to have a stitch put in my cervix and am now on bed rest to try and keep my little princess inside a bit longer, obviously I’ve been signed off work now but for only 2 weeks? My doctor thinks I’m going to have to deliver around 30 weeks (I’m 24 now) so what do I do for the other 4 weeks after? Do I get signed off again or do I start my maternity leave early?

ArnoldBee Thu 08-Feb-18 16:12:12

If you're signed off sick within so many weeks of your maternity leave start date it triggers the start of your maternity leave.

Muchtoomuchtodo Thu 08-Feb-18 16:14:17

Check the exact wording of your maternity leave policy.

Mine (NHS) was like Arnold explained.

Isittimeforbed Thu 08-Feb-18 16:16:34

You can be signed off sick up until 36 weeks, after that it'd automatically be maternity leave. So after these two weeks you'll need a new sick certificate and as long as it says it's for pregnancy related reasons then it can't be counted in your official sick record for disciplinary action or promotion. If your baby's born early then you start maternity leave from the week of birth, hopefully that won't happen too soon.

wowbutter Thu 08-Feb-18 16:17:25

Maternity leave begins when the baby is born, when you chose to start it, or if you are signed off.
If you are signed off, the leave begins at 36 weeks, if you are signed off over that point. It's automatic. You don't get a choice.
If you chose to start it, you can start it at 29 weeks.
Or when the baby is born.

Your best bet is to keep getting signed off until the baby is born, and the leave starts automatically.
Make sense?

user1493413286 Fri 09-Feb-18 21:05:17

To be honest I would try to delay starting your maternity leave early and take sick leave instead. I was off work from 27 weeks until 32 weeks when I delivered and just had to get continuous sick notes and started my maternity leave the day I delivered.
My work were keen that I start maternity leave early but I dug my heels in as I wanted it for after the baby came. According to my maternity policy at work if I’d been off sick after 36 weeks my maternity leave would have automatically kicked in but I would have been so excited to get that far I wouldn’t have minded

PlaymobilPirate Fri 09-Feb-18 21:07:40

My ds was early (34 weeks) and I was at work until the day before I had him. My consultant put me on the sick the afternoon before but I never had chance yo put my sick note in. Maternity leave kicked in the day I had him.

Igottastartthinkingbee Fri 09-Feb-18 21:10:06

No advice re maternity leave, just wanted to wish you luck. My DS was born at 31 weeks. Check out tommys and bliss, two charities that provide lots of support and information for parents of premature babies.

nicknamehelp Fri 09-Feb-18 21:21:35

You dont get extra leave you just start leave earlier.

I should think docs will reassess you and probably sign you off again in 2 weeks.

Have u any holiday u can use?

Take care x

WhatKatyDidnt Sat 10-Feb-18 21:42:41

Take sick leave until your baby is born - the hospital will write another note for you if necessary - then mat leave kicks in when baby arrives. If you have the mental energy, maybe ask HR if they may consider extending your mat leave in the circumstances (wish I had done this). Good luck flowers

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: