Talk

Advanced search

Terrified it will happen again

(10 Posts)
NoWittyNamesAvailable Tue 23-Jan-18 18:41:39

Ds2 was born at 34 weeks due to pprom, no signs of any infections so unsure why it happened. I'm currently 30 weeks and am terrified of this one coming early. I saw a consultant on Friday who told me to make sure i had my bag ready and the numbers stored in my phone. This has scared me even more, baby is so very low and I'm getting a lot of pressure and feel very swollen down below.

Has anyone any experience of going full term after a pprom?

Prembabymum Fri 27-Apr-18 04:11:21

Hi OP, I know this is an old post so I was wondering how you got on? What happened? I had my DS at 29 weeks for unknown reasons and want to have another but I'm terrified it will happen again.

KMoKMo Fri 27-Apr-18 04:44:55

I had DD1 at 28 weeks due to pprom. Given no explanation other than it was likely to have been caused by an infection but I wasn’t tested so they couldn’t say for sure. Because DD1 was so ill I wasn’t in a place to push for answers although I wish I had.
DD2 arrived on her due date.
I believe it’s highly unlikely to have another prem birth. More than anything I wanted a sibling for DD1 so the risk was worth it.

Prembabymum Fri 27-Apr-18 10:12:48

Thats great to hear; my situation was very similar as they thought it may have been an infection but they never tested. Thanks for sharing, it gives me hope!

KMoKMo Sat 28-Apr-18 09:15:59

I felt very well looked after throughout and had a very understanding midwife. I was also more confident to ask for help if things weren’t right.
Before having DD1 I had awful lower back pain for a week and bloody discharge. I saw 6 different midwives, doctors and my GP and very much felt as I was dismissed as a neurotic first time Mum. Obviously with DD2 I was classed as a high risk pregnancy but there is no way I would have let anyone dismiss any worries I had like they did the first time.
Keep the hope! Chances are you’ll have a boring textbook pregnancy! xx

MamehaSan Sat 28-Apr-18 09:29:59

I had DC1 at 34 weeks, due to PPROM. I had an infection, it turns out, that they thought was the cause. DC2 arrived... at 34 weeks too. Also PPROM. My advice: make sure you have your bags packed!

My consultant told me that the risk of having an early baby is slightly greater if you've had a previous early baby (can't remember the figures exactly, but it was something like a 10% chance, compared to a 5% chance if you'd never had a previous early baby. So double the chance, but not a massive risk).

FWIW, having been through the exerience with DC1, although DC2 was the same gestation it felt so much easier. Good luck OP and KMoKMo flowers

MamehaSan Sat 28-Apr-18 09:30:38

Sorry, Prembabymum, not KMoKMo!

Heartofglass12345 Wed 23-May-18 10:02:46

My first was born at 30+4, my 2nd was born at 33 weeks. No idea why with either of them, I just went into labour. They gave me steroids at 28 weeks with my 2nd just in case. I did not have my bag packed so shoved some stuff in a bag for life when my waters broke in the middle of the night grin
I was scared too, but if it's going to happen it will. It was tough second time around as I had my oldest to look after, so we could only go and see my youngest when my husband got home from work for a couple of hours in the evening, I didn't even get to hold him until he was 5 days old sad luckily he was only in for 16 days. It hasn't affected our bonding though and they are 5 and 2 now smile

Bumpandus Sun 10-Jun-18 09:57:17

DD1 was born at 32 weeks spontaneous labour never really found out why. Last week I went into threatened preterm labour at 29 weeks. I was discharged yesterday (now 30 weeks) after 5 days and having meds to stop tightenings and steroid injections but things have calmed down for now.

Not sure if I will get to full term or deliver early...

Heartofglass12345 Sun 10-Jun-18 11:48:37

Fingers crossed your little one will stay in a bit longer!! Good luck x

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: