Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

When will things get better?

(8 Posts)
Sashley Wed 18-Oct-17 15:38:25

I'm really struggling at the moment, especially at night. My daughter was born at 33 1/2 weeks so was 6 1/2 weeks early. She is now 9 1/2 weeks. If she had been full term she would be three weeks old now.

She is beautiful but I'm really finding things hard. She sleeps a lot in the day. She still seems to have no form of routine. I go up to bed at about 8:30/9 and my husband stays up with her until 11:30 and then puts her in the next to me crib by me and he goes to sleep in the spare room. Sometimes she goes 3 to 3 1/2 hours between feeds and sometimes, like last night, it was more like 2 1/2. It takes a while to settle her after a feed and I have to try and keep her upright too as we think she has reflux so often some milk comes back up.

By the time I have managed to drift off I'm only getting about 30mins- hour of sleep between feeds and I'm exhausted. People keep saying to sleep in the day when she sleeps but when i tried that I couldn't get to sleep when I went up to bed that night. I just lay there for ages and ended up getting all worked up because I couldn't get off.

I'm usually such an organised person and I found it difficult when she came early. I wasn't mentally ready for the birth and we hadn't got everything ready at home. Selfishly I feel like I had been robbed of the 6 weeks before her due date where I was going to get ready for her arrival and also have some to rest and relax.

I'm just so tired of being tired all the time and can't see a light at the end of the tunnel. I don't want to cry myself to sleep anymore because I'm exhausted and I'm not getting out to meet people. Any tips out encouragement would be great. Thanks.

TiramisuQueenoftheFaeries Wed 18-Oct-17 15:44:26

Her sleeping pattern sounds very normal, and indeed pretty good for her age. I don't know if she does have reflux - it is more common in prem babies - but if the milk coming up doesn't seem to cause her pain and she is gaining weight, she may just be a "happy spitter" - most babies bring up milk and you don't necessarily need to keep her upright after a feed.

I think my worry would be you and whether you may be at risk of PND with the anxiety, trouble sleeping etc. Tearfulness is common when you're tired and a newborn is hard at the best of times but you really sound like you're struggling. It will get better - normally does by about 12 weeks - but in the meantime, are you getting out for any fresh air and adult company? Is your partner pulling his weight? Do you have anyone to talk to about how you're feeling?

welshweasel Wed 18-Oct-17 15:49:37

Hang on in there, it does get better. My DS was 5 weeks early and behaved much the same. Feed, wind, sleep, on repeat, every 3 hours round the clock. I found it utterly relentless and felt my anxiety levels increasing towards bedtime. What helped me was making sure I spent as much of the day out of the house as possible, getting fresh air and meeting other new mums.
Once I had people who were also up feeding at night we used to message each other if we were having a particularly shit night and it helped to have that virtual company. Things improved massively at 10-12 weeks, when I cut out a night feed. Everything seems so much worse when you're tired. I also felt robbed of my pre birth maternity leave!

claireabell1987 Wed 18-Oct-17 22:14:21

All of the above, my little boy was 7 week early he slept a lot in the day too. Try get out when you can even if it's a very short walk to the shops. Fresh air will do you both good. You could try a baby sling/ carrier for during the day if baby seems to have reflux. It helped me a lot. The 3 hour feeds are hard but it won't be forever.
I was in hospital for 3 months before baby came so had to do all my nesting when I came home.. He's 6 months and u still haven't finished lol.
Hope things get a bit easier for you soon x

Alittlepotofrosie Wed 18-Oct-17 22:24:57

Your other half needs to help out more during the night. I know he's sitting up with her til late but that's not enough. You feed, if bfing, and if she wont settle in say an hour then hand her over you him. If you're bottle feeding then do alternate feeds. Its so important you look after your health and he has an instrumental part to play in that. Also i wholly recommend seeking counselling when you're ready to deal with your feelings.

user1493413286 Wed 18-Oct-17 22:25:00

A few months ago I could have written everything you’ve said but I can honestly tell you that it will get better soon.
My DD was born at 32+5 and until 6 weeks post her due date so actually 13 weeks I was really struggling due to lack of sleep which included holding her upright for 20 minutes after every night feed for those reasons. We had 7 extra weeks of the newborn phase and it’s incredibly tough but you’re nearly there and soon you’ll start feeling the effects. When my DD started going from my 10.30-3.30 it made a massive difference due to getting a little more sleep.
Also at this stage I was still experiencing very mixed up feelings about her early arrival and to an extent still in shock. I found seeing a midwife counsellor and having a debrief with the consultant massively helpful and healing.
In terms of tips I found sleeping when someone else was sitting with her helpful as I struggled to sleep when she did and also just being kind to myself and not expecting too much of myself in terms of getting out and about.
It’s completely normal and ok to feel robbed. I felt robbed of the newborn experience that I watched others have and it’s taken a while to get over that.

Alittlepotofrosie Wed 18-Oct-17 22:25:36

Mine didn't get a routine till about 12 weeks corrected either.

Sashley Thu 19-Oct-17 01:22:19

Thanks for all the advice and support. I am trying to get out for walks when I can and it does help. I listen to podcasts and stroll around the village. Some days I just don't have the energy or inclination to.

It's good to know things should get better within the next few weeks. I don't feel it would be fair to ask hubby to do night feeds. He works 10 hour days and has quite a demanding job so he needs to get a decent amount of sleep.

It's so hard to try and leave the housework and just relax because I know it will just mount up. I don't know if I need counselling or to speak to someone or if it's just normal and I will feel better once things settle down. I don't think I'm depressed because I do have good times and I know I'm doing my best it's just a really difficult stage at the moment.

It must have been so hard being in hospital so long before baby was born. Huge sympathy there. I know being in with my baby for 5 nights was hard work. Fingers crossed for a bit more sleep tonight.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now