Talk

Advanced search

Weaning a premature baby

(12 Posts)
user1493413286 Sat 07-Oct-17 13:57:10

I’m hoping for some advice or experiences about weaning a premature baby.
My daughter arrived at 32+5 and is going to be 6 months actual age soon and I understand I need to start weaning her at 6 months.
Shes holding her head up well but isn’t sitting unaided and I think she will just slump in a high chair and shes still getting used to her bumbo so I don’t think either of them are an option so what did people use to feed their baby in?
Also what did people start with and how quickly did they find they could progress to lumpy and actual food?
I’ve read the advice on the bliss website but would like to know how people found actually doing it?
Also when did people introduce a cup?
Everything talks about 6 months but she still seems so little to be doing all this.

nocoolnamesleft Sun 08-Oct-17 23:57:52

Well, the thing is that in some way she's 6 months, and in other ways she's only a bit over 4 months. So she isn't going to be as ready as a standard issue 6 monther. At this age, you're not trying to get calories into her as weaning food, but only exploring the taste, the texture, the experience. When people used to wean at 4 months, it was almost always starting with barely tastes of totally smooth purees, then gradually working upwards. That's one way to try. If she's not sitting yet (and I'd be a bit gobsmacked if she was at 4 and a bit months corrected), she's probably not going to be ready for baby led. Though that's something to keep in mind if she had any problems with reflux, as some refluxers hate the spoon. I'm afraid that, quite literally, it's a case of suck it and see.

hashtagtubechat Mon 09-Oct-17 21:58:46

I started weaning at 6 months actual (ex 27 weeker) and it took us over 3 months for her to get the hang of 'chewing' (no teeth yet but you know what I mean). She has bad reflux so was told to expect for it to take a long time but then at nearly 9 months actual she finally got it. On two meals a day and she can get through a decent baby portion. It takes a few go's when I introduce something new but we're getting there now hopeful

PinkMoony Mon 09-Oct-17 23:09:54

Do you have a baby bouncer? I’d try that with a purée and a spoon. My DS was a 30 weeker, he was in his bumbo in the middle of the table during mealtimes and I would give him bits of boiled veg to explore

minipie Mon 09-Oct-17 23:17:58

I weaned DD (34 weeker) at 6 months actual. You don't have to do it at 6 months actual though, the Bliss advice is between 5-8 months actual depending on how they seem.

I used a Babybjorn bouncer chair on the highest (most vertical) setting. It was ideal, very upright but supportive and had a washable cover !

I gave her a cup (tommee tippee first cup) at the same time but she couldn't hold it herself for quite a while, so I just fed her sips of water. She was still BF so that was her main liquid, plus I made the food very wet with milk or water.

I think I progressed quite slowly, she was still having ultra smooth pureed until about 7 months corrected though tbh I think she could have progressed much quicker, I was just cautious! She didn't have any issues with lumps or swallowing luckily. I didn't give her dairy (except brrastmilk or formula) or wheat until 6 months corrected but she did have meat before that, heavily pureed.

Baby led weaning was not an option as she couldn't hold food at that stage (tbh I hate the term baby led, ok I spoon fed but I was still baby led in the sense that I didn't force it on her!!)

user1493413286 Thu 12-Oct-17 16:40:40

Thank you everyone, bouncer is a good idea as she’s quite supported in that. It sounds like I need to approach it as if I’m weaning a 4 month old then see how quickly she’s able to progress onto lumps etc

Scrumptiouscrumpets Thu 12-Oct-17 17:15:01

I started weaning at 8 months actual age. He just wasn't ready beforehand. He still wasn't sitting at that age so I fed him purees in his bouncer and gave him pieces of soft fruit to suck. I didn't give him finger foods until he was sitting unaided.
I was very worried about iron etc so gave him a multivitamin.
He's 3 now and has turned into a fabulous little eater after a long phase of wanting mostly milk.

OlennasWimple Thu 12-Oct-17 17:17:34

We started in the bouncy chair too, then onto a high chair with some extra cushions in it for support once he could hold his head up for longer

We found it better to make lunch the meal where we introduced new foods, because DS has never been a morning person, and by the evening he was tired and his head would be more floppy IYSWIM

MoanaofMotunui Thu 12-Oct-17 17:28:05

Not much help, but just wanted to add that you can buy highchairs which have several recline positions, so baby doesn't have to sit bolt upright. We've just bought one from Argos, it's fab!

yikesanotherbooboo Thu 12-Oct-17 18:20:29

No need to start yet; wait until your baby is a little older

Peachypie83 Fri 13-Oct-17 17:23:38

I have a 31weeker who is soon to turn 6 months actual too. We have the Fisher Price sit me up giraffe chair. He sits really comfortably and supported in it and it has a tray which will be useful for weaning. I'm starting with purees but not sure how I'm going to progress from there

claireabell1987 Mon 16-Oct-17 21:40:11

We have just started weaning, same age baby as yours. It's going very slowly. I either get someone else to hold him while I feed or sit him in mama's and papas type of bumbo with a towel wrapped all the way round his middle so he is bolt upright. They can't really swallow if they are leaning back or reclining too much. He is having high protein stuff like fish or Greek yog. Don't bother with fruit or veg yet. We got referrerd to hospital dietition.. if you need more advise I would recommend it!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now