Talk

Advanced search

How to prepare for likely premie?

(8 Posts)
GingerHanna Tue 11-Jul-17 07:56:39

So the latest prognosis is that, due to my myoma (8cm round and currently necrotising) I am likely to go into labour somewhere between 35 and 37 weeks.

I'm only 21+4 today and discussions are only just kicking off now with the medical professionals. Basically due to the size of my myoma it is likely that my uterus will grow to a point and then say 'right, big enough, time to come out'.

I'm happy with the medical team I have, thrilled in fact, so not worried about that side of things. What I want to know is what can I do personally to prepare?

It's obviously not 100% certain so I'm not even sure about buying newborn/premie clothes (I have 0-3 months) or not. I do known batbi can try and hand express collustrum into syringes beforehand and freeze them. Any clues on where I can find out more on that? Anything else I can do?

This is so much out of my hands that I'm desperate for some way(s) I can actually DO something rather than just sit and wait.

Thanks in advance. smile

GingerHanna Tue 11-Jul-17 07:57:51

*that I, not batbi!

welshweasel Tue 11-Jul-17 08:05:12

If you get to 35 weeks you may not need to do anything different. I had a section at 35 weeks exactly due to placental failure and a partial abruption. DS was a bit small (5lb 9oz) but didn't need to go to SCBU and we went home together on day 3. He did need tiny baby clothes though! I'd had steroids at 32 weeks when they almost delivered him, which had helped mature his lungs, don't underestimate the difference this can make.

Zampa Tue 11-Jul-17 08:05:54

Hello over here! Just saw this in Active ...

The hospital will have clothes if you don't want to buy any quite yet (for example, donated DD's tiny clothes) at many preemies arrive unexpectedly.

Size wise, DD was born at 33 weeks and was 4lbs. Asda do a good tiny baby range and are affordable so nearer the time you could just get a few bits and once baby is born and weighed, you can go and buy things that will fit properly.

The hospital can supply everything you need to express and they'll show you how. You might want to buy a home pump (mine's the Medela) but the hospital grade ones are the best and you'll have easy access to them.

Hope that you're discharged soon. Get some hand cream if you're in for much longer as the constant hand washing can be a nightmare for drying out your skin!

welshweasel Tue 11-Jul-17 08:06:39

Oh and I was massively anxious and couldn't even think about the possibility I was going to be bringing a baby home so didn't want to buy loads of stuff. I got multipacks of sleepsuits in different sizes from John Lewis and kept all the receipts!

seastargirl Tue 11-Jul-17 08:07:31

I believe nipple stimulation is a way of bringing on labour so I'd think carefully before doing that, but watch hand expressing videos to get a good understanding of what to do and maybe using those squeezey hand exercisers would be good as it knackers your hand after a bit.

Hopefully, if you can get to 35 weeks plus and have had steroid injections you may not bed a nicu stay, but if you do I'd highly recommend a good antibacterial moisturizing gel as your hands get wrecked, taking a small teddy for the incubator, your own blanket to go on top of it and maybe a little sign with babies name are nice ways of personalizing their space. Plan as to what will happen if they do go to nicu, who's allowed to see them etc and inform family that they will have to wait till you've properly met baby.

Have a look at bliss who have done great literature re prem birth.

Get things set up at home, batch cook food and fill your freezer.

Asda did some good prem baby clothes which are fab for incubators.

Good luck, it's great you trust your medical team it'll make a massive difference!

BlazeofLight Tue 11-Jul-17 08:11:38

Hi Ginger - my second child was unexpected born at just 37 weeks. We were unlucky because he had respiratory problems and needed to go to NICU for a week. My best friend had a baby at 36 weeks, and they went home the next day. My DSis gave birth at 35 weeks, and her DC was also absolutely fine, discharged quickly. So you might very well have a completely "normal" experience.

In terms of preparation, if you want to breastfeed I would have the find a Lactation consultant who you could call if you needed to (although to be honest this is my advice to anyone who wants to bf!).

If you would find it reassuring you could ask the hospital about the NICU - are there parents rooms, what are the rules around visiting etc. But at 35 - 37 weeks you may not need the NICU at all.

Good luck!

GingerHanna Tue 11-Jul-17 08:12:20

Thank you so much folks. It's a relief to know that 35 weeks isn't really that early and would be great if he could come straight home.

Off to go hunt anti-bacterial hand cream (in hospital currently and hands are suffering) and read up on what you have all said.

Feeling great emotional but reassured. Been in hospital since Saturday which could account for a lot of the emotions!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now