Talk

Advanced search

Speech & Communication Delays?

(4 Posts)
mscongeniality Wed 21-Dec-16 09:33:00

Hi mums,

I have a 34+4 premie who is now almost 21 months old but 19.5 months actual.

He met all his physical milestones on the later end of normal, but still within normal range. Crawled at 11 months and walked at 16 months.
Even his teeth took ages, first tooth came at almost 17 months! Now he's hot about 8-9 so doing fine.

Physically he seems to have caught up fine, although is a bit fussy with food he only eats if I feed him.

He hasn't really said any proper words yet. His understanding is 'okay'; he understands 'no', 'come here', 'bring elmo' ..some simple things like that. His hearing has been tested and is fine. He answers to his name almost every time unless he's really into something. He's been seen by Paed and referred for speech therapy although that will probably take ages to start due to waiting lists.

Did anyone have a late talker or a baby who developed communication later than normal?

Everyone keeps telling me wait till he's 2 and he will catch up but I'm so worried.

Thank you

idontlikealdi Wed 21-Dec-16 09:37:40

Hi

Dts were born at 31+3. They met all their milestones a bit late eg walked at 17 months. We were worried about speech - they understood. It didn't really have any words. We were on holiday on their second birthday and it suddenly exploded - they were talking in full sentences by the end of that holiday.

If they had been singletons I think it would have happened a bit later as they spoke to each so much it was good practice.

Hope all is well with your DS.

Chan33 Thu 09-Feb-17 09:48:29

Hi. My son was born at 29+1. He is late at everything, so he's also a proper boy! They say they are late anyway. He will be 2 in 2 weeks and is still not walking. But we're not worried. He is just extra careful and bit scared of falling but he does everything in his own time. He babbles a lot but I can't understand a word he says. He says the odd word and tries to repeat us when we say something. We speak in two languages so his speech will take longer anyway. I'd say don't worry, everyone is different and they all do things in their own time.

AnnoyedByAlfieBear Thu 09-Feb-17 09:57:27

My DS was born at 34+5 and was just how you describe, on the late end of normal for all milestones. We were referred for speech therapy at his 2 year check and ended up with group therapy for 6 weeks. He's in reception now (summer born) and his speech still isn't completely clear but he's really thriving now. I think he just does things in his own time.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now