Talk

Advanced search

Jaundice

(9 Posts)
icklekid Sat 30-Jul-16 06:41:52

Just wondered if anyone else had experience of premature baby with jaundice. My dd was born at 34+6 on tuesday (4 days ago). She had phototherapy for jaundice which brought her levels of bilirubin down significantly however since coming of they have risen twice. They don't want to put her back under and are retesting at midday. She is exclusively breastfed and has been doing really well waking for feed every few hours. My milk only came in yesterday so hoping that helps. I'm finding the hardest part not seeing my 2 year old ds. I miss him so much and am so torn. Anyway anyone got any encouraging stories to share to give me hope?!

eurochick Sat 30-Jul-16 06:53:30

It's very common. My 34 weeker had several spells under the lights. The milk should help to flush it out. Big hugs. Having a premmie is tough.

icklekid Sat 30-Jul-16 07:45:21

Thanks eurochick am staying positive and focusing on what is going well not what isn't now!

minipie Mon 01-Aug-16 11:23:00

Congratulations! My 34+0 DD1 also had 2 or 3 rounds of phototherapy (or "rotisserie" as we called it as she looked like a teeny naked chicken...). It seems to be very common for bilirubin to go down but then go up again. I remember it feeling like a big setback when she had to go back under the lights. However after the first week the jaundice was pretty much gone so hopefully you are nearly there.

It must be very hard not seeing your DS. Are you still in hospital with DD? If so, is it feasible for you to go home and come in to see DD daily? If it's any consolation I think all mothers "miss" their firstborn when the second one arrives, even if both DC are home with them, because the new baby needs so much time. Obviously much harder with the baby in hospital though.

icklekid Wed 03-Aug-16 08:14:03

Thanks mini the second round of phototherapy seemed to do the trick as 12h off her rebound was stable so we are home! To say it is amazing is an under statement. Dd still sleeps quite a lot waking for feeds and increasing alert for longer but still means ds can get my attention a lot!

MyBreadIsEggy Wed 03-Aug-16 08:27:11

Glad to here your baby is home smile
My Dd wasn't premature (38 weeks) and we went home the day after she was born. But by the time the mw came round the following day, she looked like a Simpson sad we had to go in for phototherapy that day, and she spent about 10 hours under the light. Her bilirubin levels were down and we were allowed to go home, had to pop back up to the hospital the following day to have rebound checked....and it was sky high again. So ended up with another 16 hours under the lamp that day!! She was completely fine after that though smile

minipie Wed 03-Aug-16 10:22:06

Ah that's brilliant that you are home! Sounds like your DD is doing well (be prepared for her to get a lot more wakeful around her due date) and sure DS is glad to have you back. Best wishes.

icklekid Wed 03-Aug-16 10:32:10

mini dh and I were wondering at what point will she be more like a 'typical' newborn as don't remember any of this lovely relaxing sleeps with ds!

icklekid Wed 03-Aug-16 11:17:44

mybread reassuring to know all was fine! She's still a bit yellow in the face but beautiful and waking for feeds which I'm taking as a really good sign.

Did either of you exclusively breastfeed?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now