If your first was a premature labour were your subsequent labours also premature?

(16 Posts)
Itsalwayssunny Sun 10-Jul-16 16:41:59

I had a extremely premature labour with my first pregnancy, I am now ttc again and am very concerned of another premature labour as they could find no reason for my first. I'm very interested to hear from those who have had a premature birth and then had subsequent births and whether these were also premature. Any experiences would be great to hear.

TIA

2gorgeousboys Sun 10-Jul-16 16:49:34

I went into premature labour with DS1 at 28 weeks but they managed to medically stop me giving birth and I went full term. Two years later I went into premature labour at 24 weeks with DS2 and again they managed to stop the contractions.

I was warned whilst pregnant with DS2 that there was a strong possibility I would have another prem labour and they monitored me closely.

OiWithThePoodlesAlready Sun 10-Jul-16 16:52:17

Not me but my friend had her first at 29 weeks and her second was overdue.

Itsalwayssunny Sun 10-Jul-16 17:16:44

Thank you for your replies, my first labour I gave birth at 23 + 5. They couldn't stop my contractions as I was already too far dilated, although I did manage to hold on for 2 days after being admitted go hospital at 23 + 3. I had been having contractions but didn't realise (sounds so silly now) so hopefully next time around I'll know what they feel like and get straight to hospital should the same happen again. They have said they will monitor me too.

Itsalwayssunny Mon 11-Jul-16 13:15:29

Bump

AWhistlingWoman Mon 11-Jul-16 17:50:33

I had my twins (first pregnancy) at 23+4 for unknown reasons. The babies were not thought to be big enough yet to be due to it simply being twins although twin pregnancies are generally more prone to complications.

Much like you, I had been having contractions but didn't know what they were. They couldn't stop the babies arriving and I only held on a for matter of hours.

I had monitoring scans in my subsequent pregnancies and was found to have a short cervix. I was treated with progesterone pessaries and have had two babies subsequently, 38+2 (induced to other complications) and 40+3, both weighing over eight pounds each.

I had a debrief with both a consultant obstetrician and one of the neonatologists which helped me to clarify the most likely reasons my first pregnancy had ended early and the things that could be put in place to attempt to prevent it happening again.

It's really scary deciding to have another baby after a very premature birth and I hope that everything goes smoothly for you if you do decide to go for it.

AnnoyedByAlfieBear Mon 11-Jul-16 17:54:27

I had ds at 34+5 which we think was due to me having a bicornuate uterus and him running out of space. Dd was in the same position throughout her pregnancy but was born at 39 weeks exactly.

AnnoyedByAlfieBear Mon 11-Jul-16 17:54:57

Not anywhere near as early as yours though.

Marcipex Mon 11-Jul-16 17:59:21

I had my DD at 28 weeks for no known reason, second pregnancy was DS who was ten days overdue.

A work colleague had a baby at 23 weeks(scarily small but he's fine) and second pregnancy was full term.

MazzleDazzle Mon 11-Jul-16 18:01:04

No. DD1 was born at 32 weeks, DD2 was born at 42 weeks!

minipie Tue 12-Jul-16 09:58:13

DD1 at 34+0 (no reason)

DD2 at 36+6 (no reason)

Redinthefacegirl Wed 03-Aug-16 23:00:57

I know I'm nearly a month late to this thread but thanks for starting it.

My DS was born at 33+2 (no reason).

I'm 27 weeks tomorrow and my cervix has shortened to 2.4cm from 3.1cm 3 weeks ago. Started progesterone pessarys today. I hope I can hold out like awhistlingwoman!

Emz32 Thu 11-Aug-16 15:04:53

Iv been wondering exactly this. With DS my waters went at 34+6 and he was born the next day at 35 weeks. No reason was found. I'm booked into see a consultant at 21 weeks. A few MW have mentioned cervical scans but if I don't see the consultant until 21 weeks isn't this a bit late? I'm worried that it could be my cervix & they aren't taking it seriously until something bad happens?

MiaowTheCat Tue 16-Aug-16 19:28:43

DD1 was a 33 weeker.

DD2 I started having niggles at 33 weeks - they held labour off for steroids to be given and she eventually arrived at 36 weeks.

I've concluded that my body is just set to try to go into labour at that particular point.

fitzbilly Sun 21-Aug-16 22:22:53

I had ds1 at 32 weeks, no reason.

When I got pregnant again I kept asking for extra monitoring but the midwives said i was unlikely to give birth early again

They were wrongsad

I gave birth to ds2 on Wednesday at 34 weeks. He's in NICU but doing well so hopefully I'll get him home soon.

Good luck

FowIkar Fri 25-Nov-16 00:30:41

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now