Talk

Advanced search

Abidec and Sytron

(7 Posts)
Toast85 Mon 02-Nov-15 17:00:08

My dd was born at 34+4 and is prescribed Abidec vitamins and Sytron iron supplements. I'm having such a struggle to get her to take them! The Sytron is a bit easier as it doesn't taste quite as foul, but she rarely has much of the Abidec at all. Any tips for how to get her to swallow it instead of spitting it out? She's now almost 8 weeks (actual). Thanks.

Zampa Tue 03-Nov-15 15:43:54

Are you breast feeding or bottle?

I add the supplements to DD's formula. I put each one (folic acid, Sytron and Dalivit) in a separate bottle and she generally drinks them up.

PenguindreamsofDraco Thu 05-Nov-15 12:55:54

I used to add the Abidec to a small bottle of expressed milk, or else use a tiny syringe and just squirt into the inside of DS's cheek. When I remembered blush

Toast85 Thu 05-Nov-15 16:05:03

She's BF, trying to start a bit of expressing and bottle feeding but she doesn't take much from the bottle yet and I don't want her start associating it with a nasty smell/taste in case she actually starts to refuse it altogether.

PenguindreamsofDraco Thu 05-Nov-15 17:37:46

Just squirt it then.

And if she never really swallows any of it, it probably won't matter one iota, staring pointedly at 26 weeker DS who is now almost 5 and the very picture of health

HappyHeart87 Sun 10-Jan-16 19:06:29

Ugh, I hated doing this. DD was briefly on sodium supplements once the NG tube came out. Twice a day I was battling to get her to swallow salt water!

Dalavit is pretty nasty. I'd hand express a couple of ml and add it to the syringe to dilute it. Or once you're doing a proper bottle, 0.3ml won't affect the taste.

LavenderRain Sun 10-Jan-16 21:38:33

Did the hospital give you any syringes with the vitamins? Long skinny ones?
Just slide the syringe in the side of the mouth and quite far back and gently squirt. This should ensure baby swallows most of it,
TBH I don't know how many parents continue with the regime once they get home so I wouldn't worry too much smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now