Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Slow weight gain

(8 Posts)
cabbageleaf Fri 26-Jun-15 15:50:44

My DS was born at 30 weeks, he was on the 30th percentile when he was born but gained weight very fast and was on the 75th percentile on his due date, weighing 3940g. He was on the 95th percentile from 1 month corrected age and stayed there till two months ago, when his weight gain stalled. I last saw the paediatrician three weeks ago, he had only gained 400g since the last weigh-in. She said not to worry, he is moving about more and this has slowed him down. I weighed him again today and he has only gained 100g since then!
He is now nearly nine months old, 6.5 corrected, and he is still mostly bf - he has some porridge with fruit once a day and that's it, he refuses everything else. I am considering switching to formula because I am worried my milk isn't as nutritious as it was - does this sound like a good idea?

plentyofshoes Sat 27-Jun-15 00:27:54

Firstly try not to stress, but I know it is hard. Prem ds was slow at gaining weight, he was born at 33 weeks. If he is gaining weight then that is great. I did not breast feed, but I added calories to his food eventhough he was a fussy eater. Maybe go to a surestart centre and ask for some advice as they have weaning workshops?
Ds is 7 now and still slim, but eats well and is healthy.

SycamoreMum Sat 27-Jun-15 01:05:55

Maybe you could breastfeed and formula feed? Breastfeed at night for comfort and during day do formula feeds? I kind of had that routine to wean my 27weeker on to formula because I too was worried about nutrients etc. Also maybe try more porridge/baby rice during the day?

Ultimately if he seems content and full after feeds maybe his body is just adjusting to him being more active.

My DD did stall once or twice in her growth but continued to develop normally and then she hit 10 months and went through this massive growth spurt and was putting weight on like crazy (shes slim but seriously strong) now weighing 22lbs at 14m (born at 1lb 7oz)

GiddyOnZackHunt Sat 27-Jun-15 01:17:52

Porridge and fruit twice a day wouldn't hurt. Mix some cream in too. Start mixing stewed fruit into it and a few tastes of other food in between what he likes. He was doing v well whist you were bfing. There's no reason to stop if you can get fat in there too. Ds was and is a skinny thing. As tall as his full term friends and more lively but skinny. He's never had fat on him and I do wonder if they didn't lay down that layer before birth so they operate without it.

cabbageleaf Sat 27-Jun-15 12:03:06

Thanks for all the replies. Unfortunately he's been refusing all solid foods for the last two days - perhaps it's because he's teething? All he wants is the boob unfortunately sad I am offering formula today after each bf, but he's refused it every time so far so he seems to be getting enough! I offered him a bottle of formula before bedtime yesterday and he finished it off (first time ever formula feed - he didn't bat an eyelid!), and then I breastfed him to sleep as usual, so maybe that's a way of getting some extra calories down him. I don't want to be one of those mums who tries to stuff her kids with food - my grandmother did that with me because she thought I was far too skinny, and I hated it. It is very hard trying to stay relaxed, I went to a baby group yesterday and he was definitely the slimmest baby - no huge rolls of fat like the other babies!

plentyofshoes Sat 27-Jun-15 12:24:56

Try not to compare him to other babies or take any comments to heart. I did with ds for a long time and like adults all children are different.
It sounds like he is under the weather if he has gone off food so do what you think is best.
Have a look at the Bliss charity weaning guide as there was some good ideas in that.

Crazyqueenofthecatladies Sun 28-Jun-15 19:45:03

If you're worrying about whether your milk is nutritious enough definitely invest in some kids multivitamins and minerals - prems can get low on minerals just before they get going with solids and low zinc for example can slow growth. Something like Wellkid liquid would be good.

cabbageleaf Mon 29-Jun-15 13:41:21

Wellkid liquid is a great idea, I'll definitely try it! I am not ready to switch to formula entirely and it sounds like the right thing to bridge the gap between bf and solid foods.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now