Scared!

(23 Posts)
mellymoo22 Wed 24-Jun-15 08:05:02

I'm exactly 31 weeks today, my waters broke at 29+4. Lack of fluid around my little girl means they're looking to deliver her in the next few days.... Just so scared for her..... any experiences appreciated

CarlaTromans Mon 29-Jun-15 17:45:20

Hi
My waters started to break at 34+3 and within 48 hours i went into labour.
My babies heartrate dropped so they delivered him by c-section.
He was born on Fathers Day weighing 5lbs 8 and screaming his little head off.
He's currently in Special Care but is making fantastic progress and starting to breastfeed and bottle feed.
He's been under the phototherapy light twice for jaundice but it's now cleared up.
As upsetting as it was that he came early he's a healthy little boy and is being taken care of very well.
I hope everything goes well for you and your little one. Try not to worry as you'll be in safe hands x
Keep us updated x

cabbageleaf Tue 30-Jun-15 16:44:35

Your message is nearly a week old, how is your baby girl?
My son was born at exactly thirty weeks, he was on ventilation for five days and had pneumonia afterwards, he needed CPAP and oxygen for nearly six weeks. He also needed antibiotics for an infection straight after he was born. He was in the NICU for seven and a half weeks (he was well enough to be moved to the nursery after five weeks, but there were no beds so we went home straight from the NICU). He is now a very active and smiley 9 month old! It is a very hard time but definitely worth it!
Wishing you all the best!

mellymoo22 Sat 04-Jul-15 21:06:05

Sorry, just seen your replies. My baby girl is a week old, born by Emergency c-section after her heart rate dropped. She weighed 3lb 8.5oz, she wasn't breathing and it was a very traumatic birth, she had a massive hematoma in her armpit and her left arm was swollen and bruised, they had to use forceps to get her out. They stabilised her and transferred her to a bigger hospital where I followed on. She's doing ok, they tried taking her off the ventilator today but she didn't tolerate it, she looks so much better but her first week in the world has been very up and down

mandy214 Mon 06-Jul-15 11:22:47

MEllymoo, congratulations on the birth of your daughter. Good luck. It will be a bit of a rollercaster so take it a day at a time. Wishing you and your family all the best flowers

mellymoo22 Mon 06-Jul-15 12:25:59

Thank you Mandy, my girl is holding her own at the moment but yes just taking one day at a time xx

mandy214 Mon 06-Jul-15 13:10:49

I should have said, I had twins at 27+6, they were 2lb 6oz each. We spent 61 days in NICU / SCBU with some ups and downs, seemed to be a case of 1 step forward and 2 steps back. But they are now 10, both perfectly healthy, bright, sporty children and their early arrival matters less and less as time goes on. My heart goes out to you because it is such a hard time and you will no doubt feel helpless at the moment, but honestly, it will pass and she will be home soon xx

mellymoo22 Mon 06-Jul-15 13:26:33

Thank you Mandy, it's great to hear other people's premature birth stories as they mostly seem positive, it's been pretty tough but fingers crossed she's heading in the right direction xx

CakeRattleandRoll Sun 19-Jul-15 16:35:09

My DS was born at 30+4 by c-section, due to severe pre-eclampsia. He weighed just 2lb 6oz and dropped another 2oz in the first few days. He was a month in NICU and then another in SCU, but luckily had no complications besides being so prem and so small. He is now a bright and boisterous 3 year-old, well above average in language and cognitive ability. An absolute joy. He is still very small (still wearing some of his 12-18 months clothes!) but paediatrician says he should catch up over next few years.

Congrats on your beautiful daughter and I hope all goes well now for both of you. flowers

mellymoo22 Mon 20-Jul-15 21:10:06

Just to update, they got her off the ventilator onto vapotherm but they were concerned about her having to work very hard to breathe, they xrayed her and found that her right lung wasn't inflating properly so they put her onto CPAP to try to encourage the lung, they re xrayed her and there's no change so they are now thinking there may be a problem with her diaphragm, they will scan her to have a look at that but she may have to go back onto a ventilator.
Feels like all we're doing is going backwards sad

mandy214 Mon 20-Jul-15 21:17:12

Thinking of you Melly hang in there. It is so tricky but remember the positives, she is off the ventilator. I used to keep a diary, wrote down all the positive comments, when they'd increased milk etc so on the "bad" days you can look back and think how far she's come. Good luck smile

mellymoo22 Mon 20-Jul-15 23:36:03

Thanks Mandy. I was thinking about a journal today as I do tend to be negative but thankfully my DH can usually snap me out of it! I had a look at all the photos today and the difference in her since she was born but I think I will start writing things down, it also gives me something to do whilst sat with her during the day xx

mellymoo22 Fri 14-Aug-15 11:39:32

Just a little update, our gorgeous girl is doing ok, she had to go back onto the ventilator 3 weeks ago as she was using all her calories for breathing, she's had some bad days since but all in all has been much more settled.
Her diaphragm is pushing up into her right lung which was making it harder for her to breathe. Docs hoping that as she grows her diaphragm will strengthen but looking more likely that she'll need an operation to put some stitching into he diaphragm which will add strength. She has to get to 3kg (6lbs 6oz) before they'll operate, she got weighed yesterday and is now 6lb 3oz so almost there!!!
It's a long road but I can see a glimmer of light at the end of the tunnel smile

mandy214 Fri 14-Aug-15 11:47:48

Fab news, have been hoping you'd update smile. That's a great weight gain in what, 6 weeks or so? Go girl! Hope you're all ok x

pinkie1982 Sat 15-Aug-15 15:09:09

So happy she is getting there, what a little fighter! My waters went at 33+2 and I was induced at 34w. He was delivered 1.5 hours after I had any pain, he has to have a clip on his head as couldn't find his heart rate. I had an episiotomy and he had a ventouse. Was breathing ok but couldn't keep his temp up. Was 3lb 12.5. In NICU for 5 days then I was admitted to Tc to look after him. He is home
Now and gaining weight. Now at 10w he weighs almost 10lb

mellymoo22 Wed 26-Aug-15 15:48:09

Another update..... it's our girls due date today, mixed emotions, anyway, she's to hopefully have her little operation on Friday so fingers crossed it all goes well and we can get her off the vent next week, really praying that it all works out and we can get her home

mandy214 Wed 26-Aug-15 16:00:51

Oh goodness - definitely a day for mixed emotions as she is still in hospital. My twins were home by their due date and I have a photo of them on my bed. So happy that they were ok but angry / guilty / sad that we'd already had a horrendous 3 months by that point that we (all) shouldn't have had to go through.

Good luck for Friday - keep up posted - we've all got everything crossed its not long before she is home xxx

mellymoo22 Tue 01-Sep-15 18:58:30

Well.... her op went ahead on Friday, went as planned smile she's recovering really well and came off the ventilator today (feel so happy I could burst!) it's so great to see her face properly. She's on vapotherm and has been really stable in it all day so here's hoping we're on track for getting home sometime soon!! I wee glass of something fizzy on the cards tonight!
Thank you all who've replied with positive stories, it's been a great help xxxx

mandy214 Tue 01-Sep-15 23:26:33

Yehhh grin definitely a cause for celebration wine. Well done!

Bin85 Tue 01-Sep-15 23:33:20

Glad to read positive update.

CaminanteNoHayCamino Tue 01-Sep-15 23:36:19

Fingers crossed it's all smoother from here in. I had a 31 weeker too. Best of luck for the future.

mellymoo22 Fri 09-Oct-15 18:08:24

Well we are finally home! gringrin
Been home just over a week, on low flow oxygen but hopefully only for the short term.
There were times when we thought we might never get here but thankfully we've been lucky enough smile

cabbageleaf Sun 11-Oct-15 08:31:40

That's great news!! Enjoy the cuddles smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now