Talk

Advanced search

My 33weeker is 1 today - mixed emotions

(8 Posts)
MrsP23 Sun 21-Jun-15 11:26:07

my ds was born at 33+3 and he is one today which is great but I can't help but feel a bit emotional/sad that it shouldn't be his birthday yet and it is bringing all the painful memories of the birth, NICU, being in hospital and being away from my dd and dh all back to me.

Just wondered if anyone else had mixed emotions like this with their preemies

plentyofshoes Mon 22-Jun-15 06:31:04

Yes very much so. I think it is a very normal reaction, but it gets easier each year.

GinGinGin Mon 22-Jun-15 06:45:32

Yep, my dd is 2 and I've felt like that for her last 2 birthdays. It's tough as I feel like I should be really happy, but all I want to do is cry!

BigTroubleinSmallBoots Tue 23-Jun-15 22:16:48

Yep, me too. Happy, sad, up and down on my DDs birthday. Hopefully it gets better with time. (She's 2 now).

Nothingtodowithme Wed 24-Jun-15 11:59:58

My 33 weekend is nearly 2 and I am starting to feel cross again about him being born early.

MrsP23 Wed 24-Jun-15 20:24:12

Thanks for the replies ladies. I'm pleased I'm not the only one to feel this way. I think because I was never given a reason or explanation as to why he was born early I feel as though things were unresolved and I'm forever worrying about him thinking has his prematurity effected him. Hopefully it will get easier with time

AbbeyRoadCrossing Thu 25-Jun-15 10:29:41

I was wondering this. I have DS's first birthday coming up and people have asked what we're doing for it. I feel emotional just thinking about it and it hasn't even happened yet! We'll do something quiet, tea and cake type thing with immediate family, as it's not like he'll remember anyway.

MiaowTheCat Sat 04-Jul-15 21:56:50

My 33 weeker is three now. Her 2nd birthday really threw me (had just had her sister before her 1st birthday which I think distracted me somewhat).

By her 3rd birthday she was such a gobshite she didn't allow you a second for months before from thinking about Operation Birthday!

No one believes me when I tell them she was early now- she's taller, brighter and louder than all her peers!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now