Talk

Advanced search

Anyone had induction after waters breaking?

(25 Posts)
pinkie1982 Fri 29-May-15 08:58:17

My waters broke on Tuesday at 33+2. I was kept in hospital for 48 hours and given antibiotics and two steroid injections. I am home now waiting for induction Sunday at 34w if nothing happens naturally in between.
I have been told I will be induced with one pessary and then straight onto a drip 12 hours later in the delivery suite. Has anyone had a similar experience? I had a feeling they thought it may be quick once my contractions start although I know everyone is different. They said if I do start on my own to go straight in as soon as they become regular and not wait until they get to a minute long in every five.

Ratbagcatbag Fri 29-May-15 09:02:06

I had this. I was 37+3 when waters went though. I did start natural labour but was only 2cm dilated when I went back in so they put me on the drip (after I stuck them out for my epidural) drip in just after 10am. Dd born 14:37. Perfectly normal birth with no tears or stitches.

Ratbagcatbag Fri 29-May-15 09:03:09

Sorry. Waters went on the weds at 7am, back into hospital on the thurs at 8am. Then like I say drip started at just after 10am

pinkie1982 Sun 31-May-15 00:35:12

I'm going in tomorrow, nothing else has progressed

Ratbagcatbag Sun 31-May-15 09:08:04

Good luck smile

Have you thought about what pain relief you want? I was a wuss so know epidural was for me.

Nolim Sun 31-May-15 09:25:42

My waters broke at 35w. I was told at hospital that if labor didnt start in 48 h i would be induced. 48 h later i was having mild contractions so they induced. We had to stay in the hospital for several days since My baby was jaundiced and i had trouble breastfeading, and the baby needed antibiotics because of the broken waters but other than that the baby was fine.

Good luck op. Please come back to update smile.

pinkie1982 Sun 31-May-15 20:49:53

Been here for five hours now and waiting for a bed.
I really wanted midwife led unit and birthing pool but baby has different ideas.
I didn't want epidural but if they give me the hormone drip and there is time I may be asking for one!

Hillijx Sun 31-May-15 22:15:40

Good luck, I have been induced twice and natural once......didn't notice a difference in pain so it's not as bad as people say. You will be meeting baby soon as well. I am on a pprom fb group as I had my waters go early and the 34weekers all do brilliantly. Hope it all goes smoothly flowers

pinkie1982 Sun 31-May-15 23:51:12

Thank you. I just had the propess at 23:20

Nolim Mon 01-Jun-15 06:12:55

Any news op?

CaramellaDeVille Mon 01-Jun-15 06:25:46

This happened to me and I was put straight on the drip 48 hours after my waters went. Hope you're ok.

CurlyLocks87 Mon 01-Jun-15 06:37:03

Good luck OP, hope things are progressing nicely. Almost exactly the same thing happened to me, water broke at 34 weeks, kept in for 48 hours given steroids. I was induced at 35 weeks as had not gone into labour on my own, given the gel first then put on drip 6 hours later. Once they got my contractions coming regularly(which took a few hours) I progressed quite quickly. It really wasn't too bad at all, used gas and air and Diamorphine towards the end. Baby was absolutely fine when born, no breathing difficulties and was a good size, 6lb 2oz.

Let us know how you get on.

pinkie1982 Mon 01-Jun-15 08:47:50

Morning. Well I've had period type cramps for most of the night but no contractions yet. I am due to be reviewed at 11.

CurlyLocks87 Wed 03-Jun-15 19:10:49

How'd you get on OP? Hope your cuddling your lovely newborn��

pinkie1982 Thu 04-Jun-15 00:14:43

I was taken to the delivery suite at 4 and put on a drip at 6pm. My contractions started at 9:15 and had no break in between. They had to stop the drip. I couldn't move. They lost contact with the baby. They examined me and in less than half hour I had gone from 1cm to 7cm. Then called in help. They had to put a clip on his head and cut me to put on a ventouse cup. By this time I was fully dilated and they were telling me to push. I only had gas and air as no time for any other pain relief. He was born at 10:27pm.
I am in absolute agony. The anaesthetic I had for the cut did not reach the outer layer of skin where the stiches are and I had to have gas and air when stitching me up. They couldn't give me any more local. The other choice was to go to theatre. My whole underneath and bum are black with bruising. I can't sit for more than 30 mins.
The obstetrician told me that she was on the verge of taking me into theatre and putting me to sleep for a c section as the baby was so distressed.

He is in NICU now but doing really well. They are upping his feeds every six hours and he didn't need any breathing help at all. In 24 hours he went from intensive care, to high dependency to special care. We are really pleased with his progress.

Nolim Thu 04-Jun-15 06:41:40

Congrats op!!
Omg so sorry the birth was a difficult one but glad to hear the baby is doing great.

Supershiv1 Thu 04-Jun-15 14:56:58

Oh no pinkie I hope your bits start to settle down soon. Great news about your LO.
my waters went whilst watching Eurovision (just a trickle not a gush). I had steroids and abs and was kept in for 4 days. I was 31+5. Labour didn't start naturally.
Im currently 33+3 & go to the day unit for obs twice weekly. I have been told if I can make it I will be induced between 36-37 weeks.
I have just had another 2 nights in hospital with a small bleed but was let out sgain yesterday.

pinkie1982 Fri 05-Jun-15 10:05:25

I'm home now, still very very sore and milk came in yesterday so I've got pain at both ends! Baby was bottle fed yesterday and took 11ml and had the rest put down his tube. After he weed all over me!

pinkie1982 Fri 05-Jun-15 10:06:58

Hopefully he will only be in there a few weeks. He needs to put weight on to be able to regulate his temp then he will be coming out of the incubator. I will be phoning nicu in a min to find out how he was overnight

Nolim Fri 05-Jun-15 13:57:57

Enjoy your sleep now that you can op. You deserve some well deserved rest.

Supershiv1 Fri 05-Jun-15 22:08:35

Glad you are home and hope DS is progressing well.

pinkie1982 Sat 06-Jun-15 17:24:54

Thanks both, DS is doing brilliantly, they should be putting him into a heated cot today and he is having all feeds from a bottle now. They want to talk to me about going to a transitional care ward to look after him until he is big enough to come home.
On the other hand, I am back in the delivery suite to be monitored for high BP after midwife visit ended in her calling for an ambulance to bring me in!

Supershiv1 Sat 06-Jun-15 19:50:32

Ooooh booo to high BP. Hopefully they can give you some tablets to sort that.
well done toDs on heated cot and bottles x

pinkie1982 Mon 08-Jun-15 17:12:23

I'm staying on transitional care now. DS still in incubator, couldn't keep his temp after they turned it down so no cot yet.
Yes BP tablets for me!

Supershiv1 Mon 15-Jun-15 20:58:07

How are things pinkie

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now